Oregon Ducks...Not What Taggart Needs

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Oregon Ducks...Not What Taggart Needs

Postby donovan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:38 am

A new coach right out of the chute needs to a have a better plan. This is why "big time" programs need experienced coaches. I suspect his failure to be in control will shackle in aggressiveness. This was a bad hire, I think. There is no need to reinvent programs of safe conditioning, especially at a school that has in many ways written that book. I see this as a bad sign.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2017/01/oregon_ducks_workouts_hospital.html#incart_most-read_
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Oregon Ducks...Not What Taggart Needs

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:38 pm

I saw a similar article....http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... -hospital/

When you are injuring your players, you aren't doing the program a service and you definitely aren't benefitting the strength and conditioning...I think that the strength coach needs remedial education and training.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:56 pm

Back in the early 70's, Larry Jones was a strength coach at FSU...he was tagged with the infamous "chicken wire scandal"....28 scholarship players quit the team after being subjected to grueling training.

Chicken wire was used to make players play low in these exercizes and the papers blew it all up...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:22 pm

billybud wrote:Back in the early 70's, Larry Jones was a strength coach at FSU...he was tagged with the infamous "chicken wire scandal"....28 scholarship players quit the team after being subjected to grueling training.

Chicken wire was used to make players play low in these exercises and the papers blew it all up...

I read about Larry Jones. I had never heard of this "scandal." What was reported, in fact did not seem that bad...especially when in 1968 I was crawling under bullets for that same purpose. I know you Mr. Billybud also experience that....we never knew you could crawl so low. (It was the tracers coming at me that made me close my eyes and move as fast as I could...)

The good part of Larry Jones story is he rebounded at LSU and became a true contributor to that program.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:52 pm

The strength coach was suspended for one month without pay.

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:07 am

Donovan, so if I gather correctly, you and billybud both served this country? If so, a million thanks.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:40 pm

The first charge of a coach is the safety of his players. If that isn't a consideration then he isn't a coach.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:00 am

There always has to be core values in training and safety is paramount. It is a fine balance between living a sanitized life where kids can't have playground equipment like jungle gyms or high flying swings and developing an understanding of normal risk. As football fans most of us like rough, tough, smashmouth play. Putting that product on the field is not easy. What we did years ago, even in our lifetimes can not be the standard of today. Concussions, long know to be an issue, are just now being addressed. Horsecollar, flying wedges, etc have been banned. Teddy Roosevelt demanded reforms in the early 1900's or there was a threat of banning football. (One of the rule changes that made the game safer was the legalization of the forward pass.)

The University of Oregon has spent millions of what can arguably be the best training facility in the world. The have in many ways written the protocol for fitness.

And yet, an assistant coach, lots of other people seeing what was going on, never said anything. Read this article and see the mentality that could be interpreted as what really worked and why coaches desperately trying to right the ship in one season might think is the way to go.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2017/01/canzano_military-style_misstep.html#incart_river_home_pop

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:03 am

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:01 am

Agree. Taggart needs to understand that the spotlight shines lots brighter when you coach a power 5 school, especially from the negative view. He needs to make sure his coaches are on board with it. Things that are not national news when you coach South Florida are all of the sudden a big deal in Oregon. That is why coaches that last a long time in one place are hard to come by. You spend a lot of your goodwill on stuff like that and then struggle, you are in trouble.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”