Coaching Updates 2021

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
User avatar
Spence
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 20406
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio (Ohio's First Capital)
Contact:

Re: Coaching Updates 2021

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:16 pm

Can't blame Florida State for seeing an opportunity, but Riley shouldn't be able to sign someone that was committed to Oklahome. The NCAA could stop that in a second. All they have to do is make them sit out post season if they take anyone from their former team for 1 year.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

User avatar
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 4496
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 am
Location: South Bend, IN (domerville usa)
Contact:

Re: Coaching Updates 2021

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:02 am

Spence wrote:Can't blame Florida State for seeing an opportunity, but Riley shouldn't be able to sign someone that was committed to Oklahoma. The NCAA could stop that in a second. All they have to do is make them sit out post season if they take anyone from their former team for 1 year.


I think you would have to go with a 2 years post season ban ...

Riley's fresh scheme, in the Pac, might be enough of a balancer to flip the wins around next year. However, they are already ineligible this post season, per record.

The bowl they would likely get to next season, with their current roster, is not a top tier venue.

You wanna make it stick, hit `em with more than a semblance of a penalty. Send a message to everyone that it is not okay. After all, those players will be a part of the team, the next year for that bowl.

Besides, putting them on a post season ban, gives Riley a full season to explore what does work up front. He could afford to lose a few, knowing he's got nothing to play for, with Helton's team.

Give them the second year, and they only have themselves to blame.

Either way, I've heard Oklahoma is not sitting on this quietly.

They are seeking some sort of action over it.

Whether that's inside the confines of the NCAA, or legal approach is yet to be determined.

I do not know what their legal options are, though, it does seem they believe it, in that regards.

.
.
.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

User avatar
Spence
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 20406
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio (Ohio's First Capital)
Contact:

Re: Coaching Updates 2021

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:44 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Spence wrote:Can't blame Florida State for seeing an opportunity, but Riley shouldn't be able to sign someone that was committed to Oklahoma. The NCAA could stop that in a second. All they have to do is make them sit out post season if they take anyone from their former team for 1 year.


I think you would have to go with a 2 years post season ban ...

Riley's fresh scheme, in the Pac, might be enough of a balancer to flip the wins around next year. However, they are already ineligible this post season, per record.

The bowl they would likely get to next season, with their current roster, is not a top tier venue.

You wanna make it stick, hit `em with more than a semblance of a penalty. Send a message to everyone that it is not okay. After all, those players will be a part of the team, the next year for that bowl.

Besides, putting them on a post season ban, gives Riley a full season to explore what does work up front. He could afford to lose a few, knowing he's got nothing to play for, with Helton's team.

Give them the second year, and they only have themselves to blame.

Either way, I've heard Oklahoma is not sitting on this quietly.

They are seeking some sort of action over it.

Whether that's inside the confines of the NCAA, or legal approach is yet to be determined.

I do not know what their legal options are, though, it does seem they believe it, in that regards.

.
.
.


I think 1year is enough. Just enough to not to punish Oklahoma and still be fair to USC. Riley is a snake in the grass from my vantage point. Bob Stoops hand picked him for the job and made sure he had all the support he needed and he spit in their face. It is one thing to leave. Another thing entirely to decimate the program before he leaves. Reminds me of Jimbo Fisher and Florida State.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

User avatar
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 4496
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 am
Location: South Bend, IN (domerville usa)
Contact:

Re: Coaching Updates 2021

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:03 pm

Spence wrote:If Marcus Freemen doesn’t get the head coaching job, look for him to get offered the defensive coordinator job at Ohio State.


And here we are ...

Marcus Freeman has been promoted to the Head Coaching position at Notre Dame.

Some were saying, if Fickell had been hired as the Head Coach, then expect Cincinnati to respond by Hiring Freeman as their Headman.

All the chatter aside, I believe this was a logical & strong move by the Irish.

Freeman knows is X's & O's. He's also phenomenal on the recruiting trail.

ND's current incoming roster is stacked. Presently, set up as the #4 recruiting class for early signing day. And the 2023 class is even more talent heavy than what the 2022 class was, this time last year.

Freeman was a huge part of building that.

.
.
.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

User avatar
Spence
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 20406
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio (Ohio's First Capital)
Contact:

Re: Coaching Updates 2021

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:43 pm

Freeman was close to coming to Ohio State as DC. The Domers had to move quickly. This really puts Buckeye's in a bad place. We don't like the Domers, but we love Marcus Freeman, I can't root agains't him, which puts me in a really bad spot. :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

User avatar
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 4496
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 am
Location: South Bend, IN (domerville usa)
Contact:

Re: Coaching Updates 2021

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:33 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:Also, when Miami axed Blake James as AD, they said they weren't going to be making anymore changes over the next two weeks. Some suggest that simply meant they would stay with current interim AD during that time. Others have speculated, this meant Manny may be out the door in the next month [likely keeping him for the bowl].

Lashlee took the Head Coaching position at SMU. Might have seen the writing on the walls. Word is, that more money might be allocated to the Athletic Department, soon. Which will open the coffers to hire a more proven coach.

And fairly reliable word of mouth has stated, Mario Cristobal said he wouldn't consider the Miami job as long as Blake James were the AD.



Some said this was an unrealistic prospect as an Athletic Director for Miami ...

After New Mexico AD Eddie Nuñez turned the University of Miami down for the position; However, this other guy is a Miami Graduate [be that from the 1980's].

Miami Hires Dan Radakovich, Athletics Director from Clemson, as the New U AD.

And, as Oregon loses again to Utah, right now, the Final seconds tick away; 38-10 ...

There is a great build of momentum rising that the next Hurricanes coach may very well be coming home, from Eugene.

.
.
.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

User avatar
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 4496
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 am
Location: South Bend, IN (domerville usa)
Contact:

Re: Coaching Updates 2021

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:14 am

-------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like Miami is ready to shell out the heavy dollars ...

The are set to pay up to $3 million a year for Dan Radakovich as the next Athletic Director.

He earns $800,000 at Clemson.

Oregon is preparing a contract extension to preempt Miami's potential offer.

I'm hearing it's in the range of what USC & LSU are offering up to Riley and Kelly, in that $100+million range.

.
.
.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

User avatar
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 am

Re: Coaching Updates 2021

Postby Mountainman » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:19 am

Spence wrote:Riley is also taking a bunch of recruits with him and devastaing Oklahoma's recruiting year as he goes. Making Riley and major league butt wipe in my opinion.



I should probably disqualify myself as as a juror because at this point I am admittedly neither fair or impartial………. Oklahoma made their bed, let ‘em sleep in it.

At this point, to me it’s a goose and gander scenario…….. I’ve surmised that Greg Sankey, Texas, Oklahoma along with the current members of the Southeast Conference have knowingly conspired to wreck the Big XII Conference for their own gain. And that gain would be to secure a ‘Lions’ Share’ of the treasure from the forthcoming expansion of the College Football Playoff.

Considering the current circumstance of the CFP and its wanting to expand to a reported 12 teams with multiple TV partners and the absolute boatload of money that would generate AND that the current hold-up is ‘How To Populate The Brackets???’, and that the TV guys will absolutely want ‘Top Brands’ in exchange for that treasure and will insist those teams have a spot in the bracket by a selection process much the same as we have now…… a Committee to Select the Best Teams.

Sooooooo, if one conference has the most ‘Best Teams’, that conference will, year in and year out, take home the cash…….. it’s all about the money, and who’s gonna get it.

My, oh my…….. I do ramble on. 8)
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

User avatar
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 4496
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 am
Location: South Bend, IN (domerville usa)
Contact:

Re: Coaching Updates 2021

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:05 pm

Mountainman wrote:I should probably disqualify myself as as a juror because at this point I am admittedly neither fair or impartial………. Oklahoma made their bed, let ‘em sleep in it.


Which might be the reason I've not really been so much as critical towards him, per se.

Though, I wouldn't be all together hurt if USC got themselves a post season ban or two.

Might even make me smile.

.
.
.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

User avatar
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 4496
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 am
Location: South Bend, IN (domerville usa)
Contact:

Re: Coaching Updates 2021

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:12 pm

Mountainman wrote:Oklahoma made their bed, let ‘em sleep in it.


However, if what I've been hearing lately [the last two and a half days] has any traction to it ...

There is gonna be more shake, than up can get ahold of.

So much blathering about Dabo to Oklahoma is circulating.

We may know by the time the College Football Playoff rankings are announced.

If so, it's because some are saying, he wanted the `Bama job when Saban trots the sunset trail. Though, Swinney really wants to coach in the SEC, and a move to conference hopped OK would put him in the same division as Ol' Saint Nick.

As for OU, it gives them the guy who has had the best success against the guy who's dominated the conference they're joining.

.
.
.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

User avatar
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 4496
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 am
Location: South Bend, IN (domerville usa)
Contact:

Re: Coaching Updates 2021

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:23 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, so, now it's back to Venables ...

About a week ago, when Lincoln gave his walking notice, less than 24 hours later people
from the Norman area where putting up a drop list of theses names:

Dave Aranda
Matt Campbell
Brent Venables

Over the last 3 days, many had speculated that, if Venables is OU's candidate, then they are really going after Dabo Swinney, with Brent as the DC.

Today, there looks to be a reshift of thought, that goes back to the original rationality, of Oklahoma zeroing in on Venables, due to his previous stint in Norman, as the Defensive Coordinator --- he would now be promoted to Head Coach of the Sooners.

.
.
.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

User avatar
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 4496
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 am
Location: South Bend, IN (domerville usa)
Contact:

Re: Coaching Updates 2021

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:40 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

It had been confirmed ...

Oregon offered Cristobal an massive contract extension.

I have not heard whether Mario inked the dotted line or not. Or if he's waiting for a counter offer to come in from South Beach.

If Cristobal does pledge his allegiance to the Ducks; then Miami should shoot the roulette table with all chips in, and go after Dabo.

I am hearing that Virginia & Duke are bot in play for Tony Elliott, Clemson's Offensive Coordinator.

And the Brent Venables to OU blabber seems like the real thing.

Miami already pilfered the Tigers' cage by swiping their AD out from under them.

If Dabo loses both his OC & DC to other programs, why not throw cast the line and see if he'd bite?

Offer him the job, with a clause that stipulates, there would be no salary penalty for his leaving, in the event Saban retired and he accepted Alabama's offer as their next head coach.

*edit*

Anothing thing to note: Dabo has a current clause in his contract with Clemson, that he could leave without payout penalty, if he no longer is one of the Top 5 annual salaried FBS earning coaches.

With Mel Tucker receiving a $95 million extension, Mario Cristobal getting his $100+million extension, Kelly & Riley both getting north of $100 million, as well as Saban's continued income; Swinney fell out of that top five earners bracket.


.
.
.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

User avatar
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 am

Re: Coaching Updates 2021

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:19 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:-------------------------------------------------------------

It had been confirmed ...

Oregon offered Cristobal an massive contract extension.

I have not heard whether Mario inked the dotted line or not. Or if he's waiting for a counter offer to come in from South Beach.

If Cristobal does pledge his allegiance to the Ducks; then Miami should shoot the roulette table with all chips in, and go after Dabo.

I am hearing that Virginia & Duke are bot in play for Tony Elliott, Clemson's Offensive Coordinator.

And the Brent Venables to OU blabber seems like the real thing.

Miami already pilfered the Tigers' cage by swiping their AD out from under them.

If Dabo loses both his OC & DC to other programs, why not throw cast the line and see if he'd bite?

Offer him the job, with a clause that stipulates, there would be no salary penalty for his leaving, in the event Saban retired and he accepted Alabama's offer as their next head coach.

*edit*

Anothing thing to note: Dabo has a current clause in his contract with Clemson, that he could leave without payout penalty, if he no longer is one of the Top 5 annual salaried FBS earning coaches.

With Mel Tucker receiving a $95 million extension, Mario Cristobal getting his $100+million extension, Kelly & Riley both getting north of $100 million, as well as Saban's continued income; Swinney fell out of that top five earners bracket.


.
.
.



Appears the Hurricanes have drawn a line in the sand with Cristobal, and are saying ‘Put up or Shut up’……. 8) 8) 8)

https://www.si.com/college/2021/12/05/m ... head-coach
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

User avatar
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 am

Re: Coaching Updates 2021

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:48 pm

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

User avatar
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 4496
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 am
Location: South Bend, IN (domerville usa)
Contact:

Re: Coaching Updates 2021

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:35 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------

Just goes to show, where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

Some people are still saying Dabo was in the mix. But, Swinney said, "I've had a conversation with Oklahoma. But it was not about myself."

He wouldn't say who that conversation was about, though, I'm sure it is safe to assume it was clearly about Venables.

.
.
.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests