Instant Replay

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.

Which is the right way to have instant replay?

Big 10/rest of college football
50%
Mountain West
50%
No instant replay
No votes

Total votes: 10

Eric

Instant Replay

Postby Eric » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:17 am

Okay, if we watched the Hawaii Bowl and the Alamo Bowl, I think college football should adopt the NFL replay system. I say that because there were crucial plays in the game that didn't get reviewed.

In the Hawaii Bowl, we had Steven Moffet get the ball knocked out of his hands, and that play didn't even get considered for replay. In the Alamo Bowl tonight (I'm still fuming), Michigan burned 2 timeouts trying to get replays. Plus, the game used SUN BELT officials, a conference that doesn't use replay. They were put in that kind of position, and the refs failed. There are now plenty of cases where the referees were irresponsible with calling for review. I used to think the Big 10 and the rest of college football had the replay system right, but I'm leaning towards the Mountain West now.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:37 am

May as well use the system where you throw the flag. The officials seem reluctant to do it themselves.

..fanaticjr
All-American
All-American

Postby ..fanaticjr » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:10 am

Personally, I like the way the NFL does it. Though in some cases I like the "no coach's challenge within two minutes of each half or all of overtime" however in some cases I think it's absolutely stupid.

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:18 am

Stickied the poll.

And I'm going to have to go with MW as well.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:07 pm

There were several reasons, probably that there were problems with the replay in the Alamo Bowl.
Give the officials a break, first of all, most of those calls were hard calls to make for any official.
That TD (overturned) by Nebraska looked like one to me, and to most people, I'm guessing who didn't have benefit of I.R. Michigan didn't object, either, initially.
I thuoght the announcers were terrible, Terico and Herbstreit were probably the worst announcing crew ever!
They even tried (unsuccessfully) to tell the officials how to rule, that's bad! Hopefully they don't rely on audio, if they do that's wrong on too many levels.
So, in fairness they did a good job, I thought.
They made a big deal about how Nebraska had to kick from the wrong hashmark. BFD. It was a field goal, and Nebraska kicked it, and it was after a TD was correctly overturned, so live with it.
The other play they kept mentioning was the 'simultaneous' collision between Nebraska and Michigan, well guess what that was a penalty!
They made the right call,and probably ought to have called it again, as it happened two times! But the officials were gun-shy, as they probably had a right to be.
There were a lot of things that happened in that game, and not all of them were negatives toward Michigan's cause.
Had Michigan scored on that last play, they win!
Anyone stop to think about that.
Well, i did, Nebraska quit playing, and probabyl deserved to lose, but one Nebraska player decided to finish the deal, the rest of the team were celebrating a win prematurely. And probably there ought to have been at least a penalty for excessive celebration, but I think the officials were right not to do that, as all that woudl have done was give Michigan another chance to win the game, a game they lost all by themselves.
I'm still at a loss to understand the objections, every bad call I remember was overturned.
The guys in the booth said Henne fumbled, but I thought it was an incomplete pass, so the replay held up that call.
Michigan wasted their own time-outs, eerily similar I thougt to last year's Rose Bowl loss.
Give credit where credit is due.
Sun Belt doesn't even have replay.

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:27 pm

You make some good points, Colorado. I was a bit surprised by how much Herbstreit and what's-his-face (tries to hard to sound like an announcer) got on the officiating. There were mistakes by the crew but they really belittled them about their Sun Belt affiliation.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:01 pm

Personally, I thought they were trying to tell the officials what to do.
The Sun Belt Conference doesn't use instant replay, they were only one of two conferences not to (WAC was the other one).
Next year WAC will utilize instant replay, and I believe it was used in Boise State's game against B.C.
Yeah, those announcers were pretty bad!
What I thought was funny after they complained about the 'simultaneous' collision against Michigan (a penalty) it happened again, then they complained because they didn't throw the flag, after they initially (Herbstreit) complained when they did.
Give me a break.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

consistency

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:05 pm

I think the main thing we need is consistency. Every play there are at least 3 offensive holds, but players know what to do to get away with it. It doesn't make them cheaters, they are just maximizing their influence on a win given the parameters of the game. If they are going to replay bad calls, replay them. It's insane that Carr kept having to call time out. I think the Michigan fans deserve to say "we got cheated". From a neutral standpoint, I think Nebraska deserved the 'W'. But I'm not going to argue with a wolverine about it, I'd be PO'd if Texas lost the Rose Bowl in that fashion. The refs seemed to suck on both sides of the bowl last night, so at least they were consistent.

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:05 pm

I thought the officials did a good job, despite everyone else's objections.
They missed calls I think any officiating crew would have missed.
I'm still at a loss to understand what the objections are.
That they didn't call a pass incomplete? The replay official didn't over-turn it, so that was a wasted timeout by Lloyd Carr, and he complained over every call that didn't go Michigan's way.
All-in-all, i thought they did fine, Michigan just wasn't good enough to win.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:11 pm

Fanatic, They should be belittled. They were freakin awfull. No wonder the Sunbelt doesn't use replay, because it would take 2 hours just to correct their mistakes.

Some calls won't work with replay. Holding can be called on every down in every game. As long as they are consistant you can adjust.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:59 pm

But don't you wonder what we'd all be saying if the ESPN crew hadn't been harping on the calls as much as they did. Personally, I thought the ACC C'Ship game was officiated so horribly (29 penalties!) it took 4 and 1/2 hours to complete. Yes, would have taken exception to few things - like the blown interference call, the ridiculous time lapse at the end before the officials put the ball in play for the Nebraska punt. But things like putting plays under review happen slowly in a lot of games officiated by a lot of different refs. Just playing devil's advocate here.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

instant replay

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:20 pm

Instant replay is supposed to help the ref on the field make the correct call on fast paced plays. I'm sure its hard to make a lot of those calls when they are moving so fast but how hard can it be to watch a replay on video???? That dropped catch by nebraska in the end zone should not have been that difficult. The ref that made the call on the field was behind the play and could not possibly see if the player caught the ball. Thats what that idiot in the booth is supposed to review but for some reason he could not see what the other 50 million people saw, He did not catch the ball. How about on that long return by breaston from michigan when he was tackled at least three yards out of bounds no flag. Two quartes later a michigan player bumped a nebraska player out of bounds and was flagged. I dont mind a few missed calls but when they are that one sided somethings wrong. I also agreed with the announcers it was frustrating to watch. I was hoping to see a great game by two great schools instead we saw a one sided game controlled by patheic officials.

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:06 am

David wrote:What about that fifteen yarder that was tacked off against Nebraska for the best timed punt coverage hit I ever remember seing. Then Shanahan gave the officails an earful and on the next punt it was like a replay of the previous hit and the refs didn't call anything. It is one of the head coaches many duties to "adjust" the officials during the course of the game. Carr could have told the officials that he shouldn't have to be blowing his teams timeouts in order for the replay guys in the booth to take a look at a questionable play. He should have been in their ear the entire time the first time they were using his timeout to review a call. I'd be willing to bet he wouldn't have to waste another timeout.

I like your signature. :D

This 3 peat stuff with USC is pissing me off. :evil:

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Howdy » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:27 pm

Mountain West does not have it..

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Howdy » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:37 pm

The instance replay rules in the Alamo Bowl were those of the Big 10