Oregon v Ohio State

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Oregon v Ohio State

Postby donovan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:06 am

Ohio State out coached Oregon....that was the game.

The offensive and defensive line of Ohio State unraveled Oregon like a Dollar Store sweater.

Congratulations to Spence and Ohio State. A decisive win. 35 days to Spring Training.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:08 am

Thanks. I guess we were a pretty good team. Even with the 3rd string QB.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:21 am

Interesting four games. Oregon unraveled FSU OSU beat Bama and OSU never let Oregon out of the chutes.

As opposed as I am in the big picture to the playoffs, Ohio State would have never been there under the old system and they are, imo, clearly the best football team in college.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:33 am

donovan wrote:Interesting four games. Oregon unraveled FSU OSU beat Bama and OSU never let Oregon out of the chutes.

As opposed as I am in the big picture to the playoffs, Ohio State would have never been there under the old system and they are, imo, clearly the best football team in college.

Not to rain on my parade, but Alabama could just as easily have won that game. We did beat Oregon. I kept waiting for them to bust loose. I felt they were on the edge, but they never quite got it going and Elliott really was on a mission after Barrett went down. He was a beast.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:37 am

You did to Oregon what Oregon did to FSU....you never let them get in the game.

On a side note. This playoff format is evidence why there will never be an eight team playoff....which Urban Meyer opposes...Teams do not have enough players...You can not continue to injure two three players a week.....

I am against this format....but I liked it.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:53 am

donovan wrote:You did to Oregon what Oregon did to FSU....you never let them get in the game.

On a side note. This playoff format is evidence why there will never be an eight team playoff....which Urban Meyer opposes...Teams do not have enough players...You can not continue to injure two three players a week.....

It turned out ok. But I'm like you. I think if they expand things the bowls are finished. There is no need to put the players through the extra game(s). This was fun, though. I just can't help regretting getting on a plane to DFW. I didn't want to spend the money, but it would be very cool to be in Dallas tonight.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:53 am

donovan wrote:You did to Oregon what Oregon did to FSU....you never let them get in the game.

I think they are already pushing for the 8 game format, which I agree, is just too much. I'm still against this 4 team model.

Good win by Ohio State. They consistently beat the odds three times. I didn't expect them to wallop Wisconsin, didn't expect them to beat Alabama, and then didn't expect them to beat Oregon.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:54 am

I know Spence the team is just not living up to expectations. Will you settle for a National Title? Maybe next year on the expectations thing.

Congratulations Spence!
Last edited by Vileborg on Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:03 am

Vileborg wrote:I know Spence the team is just not living up to expectations. Will you settle for a National Title? Maybe next year on the expectations thing.

Oh, they passed my expectations three games ago. :lol:

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:08 am

I'm been a fan of Meyer since Florida. I was glad to see him come back to coaching and glad to see he's still got the touch. Yay! Another Buckeye title!!!!

They're not my team but I'm still a fan.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:11 am

I have a lot of respect for Marcus Mariota. He was a class act all through this process. He is the kind of kid every parent would love to have raised. Great kid.

warrriorsfan808
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
Location: Live In: Honolulu, Hi Born In: New Braunfels, Texas

Postby warrriorsfan808 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:15 am

Spence wrote:I have a lot of respect for Marcus Mariota. He was a class act all through this process. He is the kind of kid every parent would love to have raised. Great kid.

Congrats Spence the Buckeyes played a great game!!

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:02 pm

I'm sure Nick Saban wishes he wouldn't have changed his offensive philosophy in 2014...

I was an absolute doubter in Ohio State winning it all. They did prove me wrong. It's nice to see old-fashioned physical football win out.

Oregon needed tutorials on how to tackle several times in the game. Their defense had 11 Renaldo Nehemiahs on the field simultaneously...
"A complimentary breakfast isn't supposed to make you feel better about yourself." -Captain Obvious

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:14 pm

armchairqb wrote:I'm sure Nick Saban wishes he wouldn't have changed his offensive philosophy in 2014...

I was an absolute doubter in Ohio State winning it all. They did prove me wrong. It's nice to see old-fashioned physical football win out.

Oregon needed tutorials on how to tackle several times in the game. Their defense had 11 Renaldo Nehemiahs on the field simultaneously...

I think you are right on the tackling issue. I didn't care for the continuous comment that Oregon Offense is built on deception. That is like people that think there are trick plays and somehow that is why teams win and on the long haul they can't Oregon is a solid football club, they just got out coached. On both sides the interior line was won by Ohio State. You can not win if the other team makes better blocks than you do. The quarterbacks were not areal factor in this game, both played well and not well. To me it was in the trenches. Oregon had their lunch handed to them.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:21 pm

It is almost always the trenches. Oregon is deception it is misdirection and Ohio State does it too. I thought Oregon's defensive line played well in that game. They got push in the Buckeye oline the whole game. The linebackers were the weak link. That is why the trap worked so well. The linebackers are responsible for filling that gap. They didn't. That was the difference in the game. Ohio State really didn't out physical them except for Elliott pushing for extra yards and Cardale punishing every one who wanted to tackle him. I didn't see Oregon not being physical. They just couldn't adjust to that trap play that sprung Elliott so many times. Oregon was a good football team. Probably not as good as Bama, but good.

Return to “General Discussion”