Spurrier Walks - O'Leary Quits as AD - Sark is Canned

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Re: Spurrier Walks - O'Leary Quits as AD - Sark is Canned

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:47 am

I thought talk of canning Miles was crazy. Did LSU seriously think they could do better? He has had an issue at QB for a few years now. Even Mettenberger, who is in the NFL, underachieved with the assets he had on that offense. If LSU gets their elite QB, they're going to win a national title there.

Speaking of which, the entire SEC is suffering from mediocre QB play. Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and Arkansas are the only ones who can throw it with any consistency. Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Missouri, Texas A&M, Auburn, South Carolina, LSU, Kentucky, and Alabama are really weak at the position. They might be able to coast with their defenses in bowl season, but their ineffectiveness at QB will cost them some games where they're favored. I don't see a very good bowl season in the conference's forecast. Alabama is not going to win a championship if they throw for 160 yards, it's that simple.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:40 pm

Head coaching job availability Power Poll (of availabilities that exist as of 11/29/15):

1. USC: Interim coach Clay Helton is interim no more, hired as HC 11/30/15.
2. Georgia: Mark Richt fired/steps down; should coach bowl game.
3. South Carolina
4. Missouri
5. Virginia Tech: Memphis HC Justin Fuente hired as HC 11/29/15, confirmed by Virginia Tech.
6. Maryland
7. Miami, FL
8. Rutgers: HC Kyle Flood and AD Julie Hermann are fired, 11/29/15.
9. Syracuse
10. Virginia: Mike London resigns 11/29/15.
11. Iowa State: Toledo HC Matt Campbell announced as Cyclones HC, 11/29/15.
12. UCF: Oregon OC Scott Frost hired 12/1/15.
13. Illinois: Removes the interim tag from Bill Cubit; two year deal.
14. Tulane: Curtis Johnson fired 11/28/15.
15. Louisiana-Monroe
16. Hawaii: Nick Rolovich hired 11/27/15; recently Nevada offensive coordinator.
17. North Texas
Last edited by armchairqb on Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"A complimentary breakfast isn't supposed to make you feel better about yourself." -Captain Obvious

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:35 pm

Rutgers AD Julie Hermann and HC Kyle Flood are fired.

Virginia HC Mike London resigns.

Justin Fuente hired as Virginia Tech head coach, school confirmed it Sunday afternoon.
"A complimentary breakfast isn't supposed to make you feel better about yourself." -Captain Obvious

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:45 pm

Matt Campbell was lured away from Toledo by Iowa State. Not a bad hire for ISU, but probably not the best for Campbell. Iowa State is a tough place to win at and, fair or not, if you don't make your first leap successful from the non-major leagues to the major leagues, your career will be stained for life. I don't know if he can win enough to make this a jumping off point, I would have liked to see him wait for a job with a little more chance at success.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:12 pm

armchairqb wrote:Rutgers AD Julie Hermann and HC Kyle Flood are fired.

Virginia HC Mike London resigns.

Justin Fuente hired as Virginia Tech head coach, school confirmed it Sunday afternoon.

I think Richt would be a great hire for a place like Rutgers, they have a bad reputation with their coaches calling their players less than favorable names....a man like Richt might be good for a program like that.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:48 pm

I think Richt would do well at Rutgers, Syracuse, or Virginia. Rutgers would be a nice low-key landing spot for him. They'll take 7 wins a year and be happy if that's what Richt can get them :lol: . I don't know if the 9.5 or so he averaged at Georgia could be done there, but just getting to a bowl game annually will be good enough.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:59 am

“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:50 am

Good job. I am always liking anything these days that puts civility back into life.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:24 pm

Oregon offensive coordinator Scott Frost hired as UCF's head coach.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25396299/ucf-set-to-hire-oregon-oc-scott-frost-to-replace-george-oleary

I had UCF below the middle of my power poll mostly because of their 2015 season. They have very good fan support and could turn things around in 2016. This is definitely a good gig to have with much potential for success. A power conference five years down the road isn't out of the question for UCF.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:15 pm

Todd Monken is a name that is flying under the radar. He has Southern Miss playing very well right now and they have improved every year under him. I liked that hire from day one. Maybe he'll get a shot somewhere else soon.

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:48 pm

Head coaching job availability Power Poll (of availabilities that exist as of 12/2/15 and later):

1. Georgia: Mark Richt fired 11/29/15. Per Atl newspaper report, Alabama DC Kirby Smart to be named HC 12/6/15.
2. South Carolina
3. Missouri: DC Barry Odom announces via press release that he has accepted the HC job, 12/3/15.
4. Maryland: Michigan DC D.J. Durkin named HC, introduced at press conference 12/3/15.
5. Miami, FL: Alum Mark Richt to be introduced by press conference as HC, 12/4/15.
6. Rutgers: HC Kyle Flood and AD Julie Hermann are fired, 11/29/15.
7. East Carolina: HC Ruffin McNeill fired 12/4/15.
8. Memphis: Justin Fuente named HC of Virginia Tech. Arizona State OC Mike Norvell confirmed as HC by school, 12/3/15.
9. Syracuse
10. Virginia: Mike London resigns 11/29/15.
11. Tulane: Curtis Johnson fired 11/28/15.
12. Toledo: Matt Campbell named Iowa State HC 11/29/15. OC Jason Candle named head coach for bowl game, 12/2/15.
13. Louisiana-Monroe
14. North Texas
Last edited by armchairqb on Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:58 pm

I think Richt might do some damage at Miami. Miami's been a sleeping giant for a while now. I don't know if they're going to be as good as they were in the early 2000's, but I think 9 wins per year is very achievable there.

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:01 pm

DC Barry Odom accepts Missouri HC job.

Arizona State OC Mike Norvell accepts Memphis HC job.

Miami FL introduces new head coach Mark Richt via press conference tomorrow morning.

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:36 pm

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:34 pm

We talk about the old days, the ones that some hang on to like a dust on a car going 90 miles an hour, (I have yet to have a good explanation for that..but digression happens. So here is something we didn't have in the old days, the coaches carousel. That is partly because football coaches were expected to instill other things than wins.

What I like about modern day college football. I am dry and warn if I choose to watch a game. Play calling is amazing. I am exposed to teams I don't care about, but at least I have the option. All of my kids understand today's football better than I do.

What I don't like,

The concessions are too expensive and too frilly. Stale popcorn and flat soda pop...what's wrong with that?...and a dog with yellow mustard...maybe two. And proceed went to the football booster club and they were happy to get the bucks.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Return to “General Discussion”