Your Top 5 Nat'l Champs Games

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Your Top 5 Nat'l Champs Games

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:11 pm

I just figured we could keep the board up and going with regular college football discussions related to whatever random topics.

What are your top 5 national champs games and why? For mine, keep in mind I only started keeping up with college football since BCS started. Mine are:

5- Florida State vs Virginia Tech: My second fave team the Hokies made an effort but came up short. Some great plays for both teams.
4- Oklahoma vs Florida State: Nothing short of a major defensive battle.
3- Alabama vs Clemson this year: Watson finally got it together and got his team going in the second half.
2- Texas vs Southern Cal: Tons of talent on the field. Close game. Great plays. Two teams that played a great game.
1- Miami vs Ohio State: Hated the penalty call coming in that late. Still great game. It snowed that night where I live, anyways. I didn't have to teach the next day.

Yours?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Your Top 5 Nat'l Champs Games

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:26 pm

My number 1 is the same as yours of course. I have a hard time limiting to just NC games though because I have been a football fan as long as I remember. There have been several times that the Game has meant more to me than the where Ohio State finished in the end. The 2006 game was high on the list even though Ohio State got spanked in the championship game. The 73 game. The 68 game. The 1974 Rose bowl. There are other games that have been more exciting from a national perspective, but those are the games that meant the most to me personally. My favorite all time game was 2002 against Purdue. It was during the championship drive and Ohio State scored at the end of the game on a 4th and 2 play where Krenzel faked a handoff and threw to Michael Jenkins in the corner of the end zone to win the game. I had terrible seats in the closed endzone of Ross Ade stadium and it was a miserable game from an offensive perspective, but that single play made the six hour drive to West Lafayette Indiana worth every mile.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:26 am

For me it was never a national championship game, it was always about the Rose Bowl. It was always the Pac 10 against the Big 10. From 1969 to 1981 it was either Ohio State or Michigan that represented the Big 10, 12 years straight. I felt about the Big 10 more strongly than I currently feel about the SEC. The Pac 8 did well during the run. These games had great coaches. Robinson, Hayes, Bruce, Schembechler, James, Vermeil McKay and others. The players these games features are still remembered. Simpson, Griffin, Plunket, Moon the list goes on. The PAC 10 dominated during these years.

My favorite game was one I attended in 1976. UCLA beat Ohio State, who was undefeated, by 21-10. But the highlight of my memory was the half time show. UCLA band performed played with Kate Smith singing "God Bless America" and then the Ohio State Band performed. I know it was traditional but I can not remember a better half time show. I think I may be worshiping the ashes, but I keep blowing to spark the flame. So many windmills in my life. This game was for the "National Championship" which was just an opinion voted on by the AP. It worked.

I found a youtube of the first half. Go to 1:07 and listen to Curt Gowdy's comment on Instant Replay... Also watch the first 8 minutes.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=1976+rose+bowl+halftime+show#id=1&vid=2c2be4e1f3dd4cdfb25b3162fbe9b2e4&action=click
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:47 pm

I was raised to be a football schizophrenic...my dad (Wisconsin native, Michigan grad) was all about the Big Ten...Me? I was raised in the era of Bear Bryant at Bama, Shug Jordan at Auburn, Bill Peterson at FSU, the fantastic Chinese Bandits of national champions LSU, and the incessant brain washing about Notre Dame in my 12 years of parochial schooling.

I did watch football with my dad (there weren't many games on back then)...but games played in Michigan and Ohio might as well have been played in Singapore to me. All my pals talked about Alabama. While my dad didn't know that they played football south of Indiana until I enrolled at FSU.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:52 pm

Spence I remember the games you speak of. Back when I started watching, I loved the Big XII. Oklahoma and Nebraska and Oklahoma and Texas. Just a fan of the game itself.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:48 pm

It really is all about where and when you grew up. I think Donovan is right. The games we remember are the games that include teams we care about (teams we like or like to hate). Games we got to see in person seem to mean more to me. Games that I attended with my Dad mean so much, regardless of the value of the game itself. My Dad and I attended so many Reds games that I can't count them. They mean so much more to me now then they ever did then.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:00 am

There are two games that are etched deeply into who I am...I pray that I never lose these memories. Memories are the treasures that we secure in life.

(As an aside, Alzheimer's, I think, is the most insidious and fearful of diseases. It steals your life, loved ones and memories. I pray for all of us who have, will have, or have had this scourge in their family.)

I remember every aspect of the 1980 game with Louisville, it was the first date with my wife. A beautiful soft September evening under the lights...She, being a Texan wore a quaint shirt with pearl buttons (I didn't know anything about western wear in Florida). We beat Louisville thoroughly and went out to a late dinner to celebrate. Had Steak Dianne and a great cabernet... our server's name was Louis. I was smitten. Even invested in a pair of boots for the second date. Yippee Ki Yay!

The 1983 Peach Bowl in Atlanta is also burned into my cortex. It was freezing cold in the open stadium (18 degrees) and FSU was playing North Carolina. We had no gloves, coming from Florida so we joined the run at the concession stand to buy Atlanta Falcons gloves...bright red to clash with our garnet. But we weren't alone...they sold out of those red gloves.

FSU won the game and we went out with the couple sitting next to us for a celebratory dinner (a pattern emerges) and i picked up a bottle of champagne to take back to the room. Nine months later, our son, the Peach Bowl boy, was born.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:52 am

Now that sounds like some awesome stuff there. For me, West Virginia at Virginia Tech in October 1998. First college game for me, and I was hooked. The next year, the man that meant a lot to me. His wife was my babysitter and a huge reason I became the person I am today. My parents weren't going to win any parents of the year awards. Anyway he won tickets from Subway to all the VT home games. So many memories. The beat down of Miami after being down 10-0. Shutting Syracuse down after they ran their trap all week. Beating Boston College to seal the whole deal.

Return to “General Discussion”