Coaching Moves

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Coaching Moves

Postby donovan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:11 am

Spence wrote:I don’t have a problem with someone getting what they can get salary wise. What I have a problem with is the schools letting these guys get away with what they do. Good for Florida State for sending him on their way. Considering Fisher roamed the sidelines at a time when both Florida and Miami were down, he didn’t do as well as he should have done. He won’t bring A&M a national title IMO, especially if Texas starts getting back to national prominence.

There is a difference between a coach getting whatever he can and schools paying whatever they can, a part of the free market concept, and the reason this can happen. I understand there is no Federal subsidization of college athlete...which, of course, is not true. Take Federal subsidization of Colleges and see what would happen to athletic departments, e.g. buying the right to purchase tickets is 80% tax deductible, the list is nauseously interminable. When you have the economic inequality we have, with a demand for a two family income and an infinite list of social ills promoted by government taxation policies, enough is enough. (Will be glad to continue my diatribes in off-topic...but today if football day and for today, "let them eat cake." Or for my friends South of the Mason-Dixon line, "Let them eat whole grain biscuits à la no more grits!"
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:57 pm

billybud wrote:Willie Taggart really wants the FSU job....Deion Sanders is in his corner....Looks like WT is the frontrunner...Fuentes in second but back a few lengths.

If he's that anxious to get out of Eugene, then it's probably for the best.
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:15 am

donovan wrote:
Spence wrote:I don’t have a problem with someone getting what they can get salary wise. What I have a problem with is the schools letting these guys get away with what they do. Good for Florida State for sending him on their way. Considering Fisher roamed the sidelines at a time when both Florida and Miami were down, he didn’t do as well as he should have done. He won’t bring A&M a national title IMO, especially if Texas starts getting back to national prominence.

There is a difference between a coach getting whatever he can and schools paying whatever they can, a part of the free market concept, and the reason this can happen. I understand there is no Federal subsidization of college athlete...which, of course, is not true. Take Federal subsidization of Colleges and see what would happen to athletic departments, e.g. buying the right to purchase tickets is 80% tax deductible, the list is nauseously interminable. When you have the economic inequality we have, with a demand for a two family income and an infinite list of social ills promoted by government taxation policies, enough is enough. (Will be glad to continue my diatribes in off-topic...but today if football day and for today, "let them eat cake." Or for my friends South of the Mason-Dixon line, "Let them eat whole grain biscuits à la no more grits!"

I believe we agree - :)
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:25 pm

I wouldn't be on the Willie Taggart train if I were Florida State. Seems like a decent coach, but he hasn't taken a team to the promised land yet. If I were FSU and I couldn't afford to screw up a coaching search, I want a guy who has won at an elite level. Taggart has been consistently good, but not earth-shattering. Going 7-5 at Oregon with a team stocked with talent is a continuation of their struggles from last year with slight improvement, just enough to get to a bowl game.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:29 pm

Some of the late-stage coaching movement makes me wonder if Chip Kelly is kicking himself for jumping back in so soon. If he had waited a little bit, Florida State would have been open, and then if he didn't want to take that job, Oregon may have opened back up :lol:

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:37 pm

So far Kent State is proving my original post correct. Who are they looking at? Ohio State assistants, Marcus Freeman (played at Ohio State, assistant defensive coach at Cincinnati, bingo!), Scott Schafer (defensive assistant), and Minnesota's run game coordinator / OL-coach. Shocker! The best option they have is the current head coach of South Dakota who in all fairness will probably fail since Kent State is such an uphill climb. They really need an offensive guru to give them a chance. It can be done! Stop hiring defensive assistant coaches!

Currently Mike Price is the interim head coach at UTEP, but if UTEP were smart (and I don't know if they are either), they have options: Sonny Dykes, Sonny Cumbie, Kendall Briles. That should be the short list. So I'm sure it's not.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm

Why doesn't UTEP want Mike Price on a permanent basis? Is a good coach and despite his issues in Alabama, which has two sides, did well at WSU.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:00 pm

He retired after taking the interim job for a few games. He's 71 so I don't think he was looking for a full-time thing.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:25 pm

Willie Taggert hired by FSU...that was fast...no dilly dallying around.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:28 pm

Probably will bring Jim Leavitt with him as DC>
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:36 pm

It was quick and his comments for the past couple of weeks belie what happened. I don't think he was a good fit for Oregon. I suspect Oregon's new coach will be more flamboyant and put on a show. You have to win, but there are so many other issues at Oregon, all good, just takes a real showman.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:05 am

billybud wrote:Probably will bring Jim Leavitt with him as DC>

Leavitt jumped shipped from Colorado to be the Defensive Coordinator at Oregon. He's a fantastic defensive mind. He turned Colorado into a PAC contender as an assistant.

But he also has shown his mettle as a Head Coach, too. If I'm UCF, and I want to stay competitive. I'm looking at Leavitt to keep the program strong.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:30 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:.

billybud wrote:Probably will bring Jim Leavitt with him as DC>

Leavitt jumped shipped from Colorado to be the Defensive Coordinator at Oregon. He's a fantastic defensive mind. He turned Colorado into a PAC contender as an assistant.

But he also has shown his mettle as a Head Coach, too. If I'm UCF, and I want to stay competitive. I'm looking at Leavitt to keep the program strong.

Leavitt will be a candidate for the Oregon HC job. Reports of him going to Florida are premature.
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:14 pm

If this is true, it may very well be the best thing for the Oregon football program.

Many people forget how good of a team Oregon had before the Chip Kelly era --- Kelly inherited a program that had National Contention potential from previous head coach, Mike Bellotti.

The ducks were 10-3 in 2008 and finish of #9 in the Coaches poll, with a #10 ranking in the final ap poll the year before Chip Kelly took over --- Bellotti also had Oregon 1 win away from being in the 2001 National Championship game vs Miami, finishing 11-1 post Bowl, and #2 in both polls.

Bellotti was a coach who had tough offensive play, but centered a lot of attention on the defense, which is how he nearly rule the Pac-10 during his years there --- Jim Leavitt had a very similar style of coaching as the headman at South Florida. And as Leavitt proved at Colorado, having a quality defense can win you a bunch of games in the PAC.

Should Leavitt get the Oregon job, they could be contenders for the playoffs again by year 2, maybe 3 under his stead.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:21 pm

I think Jeff Tedford may be high on the list. Oregon law requires one minority candidate interview so Sumlin may be in the mix. Justin Wilcox from Cal may be there, too. I suspect they are going to not rush. They willl not choose someone that does not have strong ties to the Northwest. No more Carbonfiberbaggers.

As a side note, Taggart flies to Arizona to recruit some kid in Nike's jet and takes a slight detour.

Return to “General Discussion”