Ohio State

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Ohio State

Postby donovan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:24 pm

I dislike the fact that when Oregon State beats Ohio State on their own field this year, it will be asterisked that Meyers was not there!
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:15 am

/

donovan wrote:I dislike the fact that when Oregon State beats Ohio State on their own field this year, it will be asterisked that Meyers was not there!

Wait ... Are they handicapping Ohio State 30 points so that this will actually look like something other than a scrimmage against the B-Team..?

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:35 am

/
Spence wrote:Urban Meyer didn't believe one word of the statement he read. That was obvious to anyone that watched the press conference. He doesn't believe Courtney Smith to this day. There are some who believe the whole truth will come out in court when Smith defends against breaking a restraining order.

Personally, I don't believe everything she said, either.

I watched her interview with the espn reporter, and she seemed more vindictive than a victim. She was very abrasive when she said no one from Ohio State had called her to see if she was alright, or reached out to her to get her side of the story. She was being aggressive in manner & her body language; not upset, hurt or fearful --- which usually indicates someone who has tendencies toward being argumentative & confrontational.

Spence wrote:Her mother has said that the domestic violence wasn't a one sided thing.

If that is true, then Meyer may have a case to start defamation proceedings against both espn and Courtney Smith.

Personally, if I were him, I would ... the media is trying to magnify all incidences in order to conflate & persecute people who will draw attention to a headline. In all of this, espn has gone on to call Meyer an Enabler, and to say he is responsible for the environment to which his players are surrounded in.

How often has espn mentioned Zach Smith's or Courtney Smith's names? About 1 time for every 10 insinuations the mark on Meyer.

Meyer sincerely should go after espn, and have it in their settlement, that that come out and apologize in a 10 minute segment, each reporter who called for his termination. If nobody holds the media accountable, then this is only going to get worse.

Because, let's face it. If the domestic violence went both ways, and her mother was the one who stated such; there is no way espn does not have that information. And they are choosing what the general public should be aware of. That is call social engineering.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:42 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:/

donovan wrote:I dislike the fact that when Oregon State beats Ohio State on their own field this year, it will be asterisked that Meyers was not there!

Wait ... Are they handicapping Ohio State 30 points so that this will actually look like something other than a scrimmage against the B-Team..?

Drats, Mr. Billybud has a far better recruiting program than I do. Another enlightened soul pluck from illuminations to the darkness of a midnight Cyprus Swamp.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:21 pm

/

No, the Swamp is nearer to midstate. Neither Billybud nor I enjoy our time there ... except, of course, when we get to euthanize the reptile.

The best part of being in Gainesville is getting leave.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:24 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:/
Spence wrote:Urban Meyer didn't believe one word of the statement he read. That was obvious to anyone that watched the press conference. He doesn't believe Courtney Smith to this day. There are some who believe the whole truth will come out in court when Smith defends against breaking a restraining order.

Personally, I don't believe everything she said, either.

I watched her interview with the espn reporter, and she seemed more vindictive than a victim. She was very abrasive when she said no one from Ohio State had called her to see if she was alright, or reached out to her to get her side of the story. She was being aggressive in manner & her body language; not upset, hurt or fearful --- which usually indicates someone who has tendencies toward being argumentative & confrontational.

Spence wrote:Her mother has said that the domestic violence wasn't a one sided thing.

If that is true, then Meyer may have a case to start defamation proceedings against both espn and Courtney Smith.

Personally, if I were him, I would ... the media is trying to magnify all incidences in order to conflate & persecute people who will draw attention to a headline. In all of this, espn has gone on to call Meyer an Enabler, and to say he is responsible for the environment to which his players are surrounded in.

How often has espn mentioned Zach Smith's or Courtney Smith's names? About 1 time for every 10 insinuations the mark on Meyer.

Meyer sincerely should go after espn, and have it in their settlement, that that come out and apologize in a 10 minute segment, each reporter who called for his termination. If nobody holds the media accountable, then this is only going to get worse.

Because, let's face it. If the domestic violence went both ways, and her mother was the one who stated such; there is no way espn does not have that information. And they are choosing what the general public should be aware of. That is call social engineering.

Her mother did say it. I know that is true. She said it on local tv. She is estranged from her daughter though, and I don't know the reason for the estrangement, so take that for what it is worth. I don't know what is true and not true here. I do think Urban Meyer has responsibility for hiring Zack Smith in the first place. It was a hire based Meyer's dedication to Earle Bruce. I understand it as a way to open a door for a guy, but once you are hired then you have to stand on your own merit and that should be it.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:32 am

........the fallout from this story is still making headlines. Just read where Tom Herman, Head Coach at Texas and former Ohio State Assistant Coach, was said to be with Zach Smith along with some high school coaches, at a Strip Club back in 2014.
It has also been reported that Herman was ‘the source’ that outed Zach Smith to the reporter who broke the original story about Zach Smith. In addition the motive for Herman doing so has been suggested and reported to be because of a recruiting battle for a wide receiver.

This along with Zach Smith has taken to Twitter......
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:08 pm

I'm not sure Herman was the source. I know it was a rumor. Herman was in the strip club. Not that it was a big deal. Both guys paid their own way. They probably aren't the first coaches that have walked into a strip club. Herman, his wife, and Zack Smith and his ex wife were friends. The strip club was part of Ohio State releasing the results of the investigation. They are releasing everything so there is nothing in these releases that wasn't apart of the investigation. Herman won't be in trouble for this because it has been a matter of record for anyone who cared to look for 4 1/2 years. All the "news" coming out now isn't really new.

I would expect that we will find out exactly who both Zack and Courtney Smith are when they go to court in September. If the local rumors are true we will find out that both of them were not very good people.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:27 pm

It isn't a secret that I am not Urban Meyer's biggest fan. But I'm pretty sure with what we currently know that if Ohio State would have fired him, Meyer would have collected a huge payout because Meyer did in fact go through the chain of command with his reporting. The school is getting ready to face a huge lawsuit because of the doctor that was said to have sexually assaulted some athletes in the wrestling department. That story seems to have legs considering the Doc committed suicide when accused. That is going to give the school a huge black eye that this Zack Smith thing will pale in comparison. I don't know why anyone would protect these predators. Whoever is involved in this should be locked up.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:27 am

Spence wrote:I'm not sure Herman was the source. I know it was a rumor. Herman was in the strip club. Not that it was a big deal. Both guys paid their own way. They probably aren't the first coaches that have walked into a strip club. Herman, his wife, and Zack Smith and his ex wife were friends. The strip club was part of Ohio State releasing the results of the investigation. They are releasing everything so there is nothing in these releases that wasn't apart of the investigation. Herman won't be in trouble for this because it has been a matter of record for anyone who cared to look for 4 1/2 years. All the "news" coming out now isn't really new.

I would expect that we will find out exactly who both Zack and Courtney Smith are when they go to court in September. If the local rumors are true we will find out that both of them were not very good people.

I believe you’re right on point and and got this right.

Let’s look at what we know currently:

1. Zach and Courtney Smith cannot manage their own lives and that has hurt others.
2. Meyer and his AD had a lapse in their judgement and intuition.
3. All the above are experiencing the consequences of their own making.

The reality is that they are a just people, and these things happen....... my beef is with the media and the grandstanders. Now a days the media is a fame and for profit enterprise while the grandstanders remain ‘holier than thou’.
While the media speaks for itself our most recent example of grandstanding comes from the Board of Trusree member at Ohio State who claims he resigned because he didn’t believe Meyer’s punishment was “profound” enough........ but of course he didn’t say what he thought would have been “profound” enough. Maybe a guillotine rolled out at midfield in front of 100 thousand plus fans at the 1st home game this season to watch Meyer’s head chopped off and held high by the guy ‘Dotting the I” during pregame would have quenched his thirst for profoundness.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:48 pm

I know nothing of the Smiths. And this whole issue is not about the Smiths. It is about a world where college football coaches make more money than any other person at our Universities, bring in more money than any other single source; all happening in a world where students are in debt forever for their college education and the return on investment of that education never meets the acceptable investment level. All this where our healthcare delivery systems are in utter chaos, children are being shot in schools and we are still at war ad infinitum.

...and when those in the Grandstand want accountability the evangelists of the sport are more concerned about TV scheduling.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:25 pm

And of course, the media personalities [such as Paul Finebaum], who sit behind their sanctimonious desks, get multi million dollar contracts while decreeing what our opinions should be.

Personally, I rather the coaches receive the pay bump over the press. At least there's transparency as to why they get the money they do.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:28 pm

donovan wrote:I know nothing of the Smiths. And this whole issue is not about the Smiths. It is about a world where college football coaches make more money than any other person at our Universities, bring in more money than any other single source; all happening in a world where students are in debt forever for their college education and the return on investment of that education never meets the acceptable investment level. All this where our healthcare delivery systems are in utter chaos, children are being shot in schools and we are still at war ad infinitum.

...and when those in the Grandstand want accountability the evangelists of the sport are more concerned about TV scheduling.

Agreed

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:33 pm

donovan wrote:I know nothing of the Smiths. And this whole issue is not about the Smiths. It is about a world where college football coaches make more money than any other person at our Universities, bring in more money than any other single source; all happening in a world where students are in debt forever for their college education and the return on investment of that education never meets the acceptable investment level. All this where our healthcare delivery systems are in utter chaos, children are being shot in schools and we are still at war ad infinitum.

Hmmmmm, Yep, all of the above.......... can’t help but believe many, if not most, would be aware of the issues, but when it comes to workable, and more importantly, doable solutions, that’s where things start to fall apart. Simply identifying issues, making claims of victimization or blaming others are not solutions.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:44 am

Mountainman wrote:

Hmmmmm, Yep, all of the above.......... can’t help but believe many, if not most, would be aware of the issues, but when it comes to workable, and more importantly, doable solutions, that’s where things start to fall apart. Simply identifying issues, making claims of victimization or blaming others are not solutions.

Agreed

Return to “General Discussion”