USC -v- Stanford

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

USC -v- Stanford

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:55 pm

/

I hate to say this, because I like the guy as a coach; but David Shaw is really hurting his team with deliberate poor play calling.

I say that, not because he is tanking his team on purpose, rather due to his attempt to push Love as a Heisman contender. Shaw is continuing to run Love again & again, even when it is obvious that the Trojans are keyed in on him.

He needs to quit trying to force the issue, and just play his "Team's" strengths. The receivers they have are actually rather decent. But they just aren't using them.

USC can't get things going against Stanford's D at the moment. However, if Shaw keeps running 3 & out drives, he's going to give USC plenty of opportunities to figure things out. When that happens, Stanford wont have an answer. Because the QB & receivers weren't given the chance to get a rhythm early enough to make a difference.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: USC -v- Stanford

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:52 am

/

And this is what the end result becomes ...

Head coach David Shaw made the announcement Tuesday; Star running back Bryce Love won't play the No. 9 Stanford Cardinal's home game against UC Davis on Saturday because of an undisclosed injury.

Love suffered the injury at some point during last Saturday's 17-3 victory over USC at Stanford Stadium. He had 136 rushing yards and one touchdown on 22 carries before leaving the game in the fourth quarter.

This isn't the first time the 5'10", 196-pound running back has been hit with an injury. He missed a game in 2017 because of an ankle injury, but he was able to return the next week and play in the final six outings.

Shaw kept Love in, pounding the ball, as a one man workhorse, even though there are other running backs that are capable of taking some of the brunt load.

Shaw needs to learn, rotating your players so they can stay fresh longer is a benefit. It allows your Star Back to catch his breath, and come in stronger, than if you just leave him in there the whole game. You productivity will only go up.

Bryce Love would likely have more yards and more touchdowns. I know that 136 yards in a game is nothing to sneeze at. But, if you are adamant about how you are using a guy, he will produce those yards, eventually. Which is usually how this happens with SHaw's play makers, as was the case this past Saturday.

Love kept ramming the ball, and ramming the ball. Then a Big Play would occur where he gets a bunch of yards on one rush ... then, ram the ball some more.

If Shaw would utilize the whole of his offense, and not just one guy, then his team would win by more points --- 17-3 is a nice margin --- but USC, despite what the media wants us to believe, has no real offensive threat. The reason Stanford did not win by more, is because Shaw is trying to win Love the Heisman.

It is going to cost them,when they play a team who can score, as well as play defense. And USC's defense wasn't even playing that well.

Right now, I have Washington beating Stanford without question, simply due to the way Shaw calls his plays.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Return to “General Discussion”