How Abouot Texas..?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

How Abouot Texas..?

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:57 am

/

The Longhorns were down 14-3 to USC in the 1rst quarter.

Texas would then go on to score 34 unanswered points in the 2cnd & 3rd quarters, shutting out USC for the rest of the game.

Things were looking bleak, then before you know it, the Longhorns turned it on and didn't look back. USC came out of the gate hard & fast, yet couldn't keep the pace, and ran out of steam.

There was one moment where the Trojans looked to get things going again, getting the ball all the way down to the 2. With a gritty goal line stand by Texas, USC turned the ball over on downs, after the Longhorns chased the USC running back to the sideline a shoved him out for a 2 yard loss on 4th down.

The Trojans held Texas to a punt there, but smashed into the punter in the end zone, for a 15 yard roughing penalty.

From there, things just went south on USC. And they never recovered.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: How Abouot Texas..?

Postby highfly24 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:46 pm

That was a nice win for Texas. Good call Cane. Your comment about their play vs Maryland, I didnt parlay into beating USC but that was no fluke win. USC offense has looked rather mediocre this season. They dont seem to have any real running threat. Hard to run when down by 2-3 scores but that wasnt the case early. We will find out alot about a couple Big 12 teams this weekend. Texas vs TCU as both are coming off big/emotional games, with different results.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Texas is tough place to be a Coach....... really, really, really tough and impatient booster bunch that has great influence. So, any coach not only has to ‘just win, baby’, but also has to be able to withstand the pressures and influences.

I talked with some of them in Morgantown and their position is clearly that, a coach has all the money, the facilities and a State full of really good players he could possibly have, so if the coach doesn’t get it done, he’s outta here.

From what I’ve seen out of the Longhorns, so far, first and foremost is they have QB issues...... so at this point, the jury is still out. USC was a good win over a big name, but not a good football team.

........btw, the Big XII as a conference needs Texas to be good, very good.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:25 am

/
highfly24 wrote:That was a nice win for Texas. Good call Cane. Your comment about their play vs Maryland, I didnt parlay into beating USC but that was no fluke win.

I had a hunch that Texas was going to give USC more of a fight than what most thought they had in them ... but I figured the game was going to be quite a bit closer in the final score.

The way USC couldn't really get anything going, scoring just 3 points vs Stanford, was part of my pick -- the other side of it, was the way Texas got down against Maryland, and refused to go away. The Longhorns stood up and fought back, which is something they hadn't done it a few years -- I assumed if Texas could play tough, and not give in, they would have a chance at the end of the game, because USC just hasn't had the type of play that one could confidently expect to run off with a victory.

I certainly didn't think Texas would win when they got down 14-3 and it was still the 1rst quarter. I basically rolled my eyes and thought, "Whelp, that was a waist of a weekly pick" ...

I flipped over to abc to watch the Buckeyes/Horned Frogs game for a bit, and when I flipped back to FOX, the Longhorns were driving to take the lead.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Return to “General Discussion”