Drivel About Week Ten

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Drivel About Week Ten

Postby donovan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:13 am

Drivel About Week Ten
1. We will recognize the Mountainman is in thralls of ecstasy that any PG site can not accurately describe and so we will get back to that game later.
2. Boise State beat BYU, a rather hapless team. No one cares. Personally, conscripted in the middle a quarter doing some post-graduate work, with Mrs. Donovan and a child, the hapless school wouldn’t even refund my tuition. Glad Boise State won.
3. I hope all is going well with my friend, Mr. Billybud, he has been silent. I await his thoughts on where the Noles are headed down the road.
4. My beloved Oregon State is also weaker than my Aunt Ivy. Terrible. No one cares outside of Corvallis
5. Central Florida will again proclaim themselves National Champions and I am good with that.
6. Alabama was Alabama and LSU was boring. Did you notice Alabama tackles everyone? If a Bama’ player even touches an opponent, he is tackled. Incredible.
7. The Big 12 games were a testament that you do not need the defense to win or lose. Oklahoma v Texas Tech e.g.
8. As for Notre Dame – Hmm…they are not under nor overrated; they are real. Florida State next week. Maybe Coach Billybud can do it.
9. West Virginia was…too soon MM is still…well, whatever it is hillbillies do.
10. The Northern Illinois v Akron Game was fun to watch.
11. The Pac 12 is solid evidence that parity, no matter how touted it is, is a death knell to the Central Committee’s prescripted conclusion.
12. Washington State is our hope. I know I am the only one here, but I just like Leach.
13. If Georgia, Derek’s fault, could just be consistent for the whole season. They are a good ball club. I watched a quarter and they just don’t seem to miss assignments.
14. Clemson is a team that if they were so good, no one would care. Everyone loves Louisville because everyone thinks they pronounce it correctly, but they don’t. It’s Lewis Ville. I can read. Petrino needs to find a real estate agent.
15. Ever since the scandal Penn State has been zip. Yesterday they were less than zip. Michigan was merciless.
16. Spence, Ohio State had a running game. I am sure you will tell us why not to bet on your Buckeyes as you cash in markers
17. Utah was so disappointing. The announcers were so Arizona. When 20 minutes in the middle of the game was a conversation about going to the homes of the locals…ESPN some sub-channel of the cell block was cacophony at its best.
18. Florida gave the defense the Saturday off.
19. Chip Kelley’s done. He is just done, no spark, no nothing.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Drivel About Week Ten

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:37 am

Alabama played a defense last night and while the LSU defense played well, Alabama’s defense played better. I think Alabama can only beat themselves.

West Virginia’s off tackle runs chewed up Texas. This game shouldn’t have been as close as it was last night. I don’t usually say anything about officiating, but that crew last night thought people paod to see them perform.

I don’t have to tell you why you shouldn’t bey on Ohio State - all you have to do is watch them play.

I agree Chip Kelly is done. He has been done for several years. He is just starting to realize it.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:46 pm

.......whatever it is that hillbillies do????

Well, first we gather, full of anticipation, excitement and anxiety..... and curse FOX TV for not cutting away from the Ohio State/Nebraska game at exactly 3:30.
Concern then enters when we see a former walk-on will be starting at the Mike-LB and a 209 lb Safety at an OLB spot. Gasps fill the air when our QB is horse-collared. Allegations that the Game Officials’ parents were never married fill the air. Hand gestures, where the thumb holds down the index, ring and little fingers, while the middle finger remains upright and vertical.
We marvel at the final two scoring drives of 75 yards and a quarterback that can toss a football 40+ yards off the wrong foot and drop it in a trash can....... then we conclude that Dana Holgorsen can never ever, ever become the President of West Virginia University or any other college or university as he is simply not qualified. Holgorsen ain’t no Eunch, he’s got a pair.

Let’s Goooooooooo Mountaineers!!!!!
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:41 pm

Please tell me about the Nebraska follies. The onside kick. The so called lateral.
At VT, isn't it always about the injuries? And November is here Hokies. No choking.
Alabama is a pretty good total package. Go to LSU and shut them out.
Michigan and the revenge tour. One game matters to me. The Buckeyes. Win that one.
The ACC Coastal winner will be like winning the lottery. Total luck.
Central Florida scored at will and very quickly.
If this path continues, a Michigan and Notre Dame rematch?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:20 pm

There were plenty of follies in that game on both sides, but I will admit that is the first time I have ever seen a kicker trip over the ball - onside kick or any other. The lateral was not a smart move, but McLaurin gave it right back to them two plays later.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:39 pm

Spence wrote:Alabama played a defense last night and while the LSU defense played well, Alabama’s defense played better. I think Alabama can only beat themselves.

West Virginia’s off tackle runs chewed up Texas. This game shouldn’t have been as close as it was last night. I don’t usually say anything about officiating, but that crew last night thought people paod to see them perform.

I don’t have to tell you why you shouldn’t bey on Ohio State - all you have to do is watch them play.

I agree Chip Kelly is done. He has been done for several years. He is just starting to realize it.

Alabama is very much beatable. 2 win Ark put up 31 points on their defense. I was at the game. It was not a fluke. They have weaknesses on defense can can be exploited. LSU justvlacks an offense. A good team can definitely beat Alabama.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:52 pm

I get what you say Doss, but yesterday I didn't see that weakness. I watched a bunch of West Coast games where it was not that difficult to find the weakness, mostly between the ears.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:07 pm

Dossenator wrote:
Spence wrote:Alabama played a defense last night and while the LSU defense played well, Alabama’s defense played better. I think Alabama can only beat themselves.

Alabama is very much beatable. 2 win Ark put up 31 points on their defense. I was at the game. It was not a fluke. They have weaknesses on defense can can be exploited. LSU justvlacks an offense. A good team can definitely beat Alabama.

I’ll venture a guess and say you’re suspicious that their linebacker play is suspect. :idea: :?:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:53 am

I don’t see it. The only way I see Alabama getting beat is by a team that can put pressure on Tua consistently and stop the run. To me that means playing man to man and stuffing the box. I think that Michigan has a good enough defense to accomplish that, but they aren’t good enough on the other side of the ball. Clemson maybe, but I don’t see that either. I think offensively West Virginia could score against them, but then there is the task of stopping their offense and I don’t see that either. No team is unbeatable but this year’s version of the tide is as good a college teams as I have seen since the Canes were the class of the league 20 years ago.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:09 am

Arkansas rushed for over 100 yards and passed for 250. Their linebacker play was terrible vs Arkansas. Secondary was suspect at times (very young defensive backfield).

The Alabama offensive line holds on every down as well. They choke hold. Their man will be beat and they wrap their arm around the defensive lineman’s neck and hold even though the defender is past them. I have pictures from the Ark vs Bama game. Bama could not block Ark’s Agim. But they choke held him all game. Not once was holding called. If I can figure out how to post pics I will show you evidence.

LSU has no passing game so it was easy for Bama to stop the run. A really good offense can put up points. The question is their a defense that can slow them down and a group of refs that are man enough to call holding.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:27 am

Dossenator wrote:Arkansas rushed for over 100 yards and passed for 250. Their linebacker play was terrible vs Arkansas. Secondary was suspect at times (very young defensive backfield).

The Alabama offensive line holds on every down as well. They choke hold. Their man will be beat and they wrap their arm around the defensive lineman’s neck and hold even though the defender is past them. I have pictures from the Ark vs Bama game. Bama could not block Ark’s Agim. But they choke held him all game. Not once was holding called. If I can figure out how to post pics I will show you evidence.

LSU has no passing game so it was easy for Bama to stop the run. A really good offense can put up points. The question is their a defense that can slow them down and a group of refs that are man enough to call holding.

Alabama is notorious for holding on the LOS, a few seasons ago when the Mountaineers played the Tide in one of those Kickoff Classic Games the whispers and gripes from the locker-room was their holding along the LOS...... and they do have an aura around them.

In any event, the Tide is beatable from what I’ve seen....... don’t believe the Irish or Michigan can get it done, but Clemson has the defensive front that will allow them to do a lot of things on that side of the ball and an offense that can score. So I would suggest somehow, someway, you Razorbacks start a movement to get that Crew that called the WVU vs Texas game and cheer for the Tigers. :lol:

The SEC Title Game is going to be interesting to watch, we’ll see. 8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:44 am

Most offensive lines hold on the LOS. Michigan is world class at it too. The Buckeye line is bad about it too, but they have the back of the Defensive end's jersey so they get whistled for it a lot more. :lol:

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:05 am

Spence wrote:Most offensive lines hold on the LOS. Michigan is world class at it too. The Buckeye line is bad about it too, but they have the back of the Defensive end's jersey so they get whistled for it a lot more. :lol:

Will Greer was caught on tape after the Iowa State game saying that the Mountaineer Offensive Line wasn’t holding enough....... :lol:

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:37 pm

http://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=670974.0

Take a look at a couple of examples of the no call holds. Agim is a stud and is so frustrated every week. Never gets called.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:08 pm

Those are glaring examples, but when it comes to holding you can drive yourself nuts trying to catch all of them. There is holding everywhere on the field on every play by every body. Teams have to get through it and give a little back too. The best offensive lineman are the ones who hide their holding the best.

Return to “General Discussion”