Will Somebody Please Explain To Me........

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Will Somebody Please Explain To Me........

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:39 am

I think if Georgia had punted they would have won the game and that is a lot safer way to give themselves a chance. They were winning the field position battle for the most part up until that fake and that tilted the field for Alabama.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:29 pm

Does anyone know what the actual play that was called...... not just ‘Punt Fake’, but the actual play??? Hell, I’ve gone from pass to run and now am back to a pass play.

After what I heard yesterday, don’t know if it was a run or pass play, someone said a quarterback was put in and Alabama pick-up on it.......
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:13 pm

Mountainman wrote:Does anyone know what the actual play that was called...... not just ‘Punt Fake’, but the actual play??? Hell, I’ve gone from pass to run and now am back to a pass play.

After what I heard yesterday, don’t know if it was a run or pass play, someone said a quarterback was put in and Alabama pick-up on it.......

I don't know where right now, but I did hear that it was a called pass play. Then when Alabama sent their defense out, well that is where things get fuzzy.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:50 am

Anyone watch the Stagg Bowl between Mount Union and Mary Hardin Baylor? MHB ran the same fake punt from around their own 40, up 8 with 7 mins to go, and failed. However it did not cost the championship. Mount Union moved the ball inside the 15 before losing it. As I watched it, I kept thinking back to Georgia and seeing this D3 title ending in a very similar fashion. Either way congrats to Mary Hardin Baylor for knocking off the powerhouses of Mount Union and Wisconsin Whitewater in 7 days.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:38 am

HIghfly24, you are one of this board's true football aficionados.

On a separate, but less important thought, it does support Mr. Billybud's position.

And on an even less important comment, my kids have TV's that are in color and the screen far exceeds mine which measures diagonally 13". The coup de grâce was when Mrs. Donovan saw they had a gadget where they could change channels, and they had more than 3 channels, from their chair. I pointed out I did not need one as long as she could get up and walk. This couch is very cold at night.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:06 am

highfly24 wrote:Anyone watch the Stagg Bowl between Mount Union and Mary Hardin Baylor? MHB ran the same fake punt from around their own 40, up 8 with 7 mins to go, and failed. However it did not cost the championship. Mount Union moved the ball inside the 15 before losing it. As I watched it, I kept thinking back to Georgia and seeing this D3 title ending in a very similar fashion. Either way congrats to Mary Hardin Baylor for knocking off the powerhouses of Mount Union and Wisconsin Whitewater in 7 days.

Yep, Mary Hardin looked good in that win. I was flipping back and forth to the Battle of the Dakotas...... North beat South and looked good doing it too. 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:22 pm

donovan wrote:HIghfly24, you are one of this board's true football aficionados.

Thank you I'll take that as high praise.

Mountainman wrote:Yep, Mary Hardin looked good in that win. I was flipping back and forth to the Battle of the Dakotas...... North beat South and looked good doing it too. 8)

Agreed. They are tough to beat.

Return to “General Discussion”