Is It Time We Had A Discussion.......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Is It Time We Had A Discussion.......

Postby donovan » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:20 am

Absolutes are almost always flawed and despite Barry Goldwater's proclamation, extremism is seldom the whole story.

As one of the few that think College football should be decided entirely on wins and losses, not SOS, no handicapping, no committees and no excuses, I will say this about participation ribbons. (My son's will not allow their kids to even take them and has video's of the kids cutting them up...frankly a little absurd. One daughter made her own if her kids did not get something...also a little absurd)

However, in my earlier days, I use to referee several sports. Always I worked Special Olympic events. The heartwarming stories from those experiences have lasted much longer than all the other stories. Every participant got a medal. I watch marathon's, so many 5K today. Some run, some walk, some are in wheelchairs. Pretty common they get participation awards.

I'll stop here, but I find nothing wrong with these examples
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:52 am

I like wins and losses...but wins and losses are not comparable...and thus useless standing alone.

You beat Marshall or Portland State and that does not equate to beating Florida or Auburn.

You get beat by Alabama or Ohio State and that loss is not comparable to losing to BYU or Boston College.

You know, play 18 holes of a par 3 course and 18 holes at Pebble Beach...it's like saying that your scores should be the same...nonsense thinking....right?

Amateur golfers use a handicap system to allow mismatched abilities to play together...

Maybe college football should split the current FBS into the handicapped division (ouch..not PC, I know) and the P5 division. Let those who can't really compete head to head with big boys play in a handicapped format for their chance at a handicapped title.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:00 am

And..Donovan..a current illustration...

Why do you think that the current Vegas Over/Under Total Wins for Boise State is 10...for FSU is 7 1/2...and yet FSU is favored in the Boise State game?

Are they saying that FSU, on Boise's schedule, would have an Over/Under of 10 or 11?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:11 am

I think it is recognition that Boise State plays zero teams on AP preseason Top 25 and FSU plays two in the top 10 (#1 Clemson, #8 Florida) plus another top 25 team.

Plus three teams also receiving votes (Miami, Boise, Virginia)....while Boise State plays no one receiving a vote.

Does a 10 win Boise compare to a 7 1/2 win FSU? nope.

But hey, if Boise wins 10 let's drop a 10 win Georgia out of CFP consideration so that Boise State feels like they are participating.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:09 pm

You know I agree with you. The difference is all the inter-conference games. I just live in the past.

Boise State will play Florida State and the outcome, I think, has the possibility of being a close game. The results for both teams will be entirely different. If FSU wins, that's expected and they get little credit. If BSU wins then they get a real jump start to the season. And yet I go back to they may be very similar teams at this time.

Not to avoid your question: Why do you think that the current Vegas Over/Under Total Wins for Boise State is 10...for FSU is 7 1/2...and yet FSU is favored in the Boise State game? SOS

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:13 pm

Alabama has decided that they need to play better out of conference games. Not because of strength of schedule, not because they need respect, and not to be able to recruit nationally.They have made the decision because even with all their success , no one is coming to a lot of their games. College football is a national game now, not unlike the NFL, unfortunately that cat is out of the bag now.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:00 am

FSU AD just said that he will be beefing up home and homes...particularly for the odd year home schedule where Clemson and Florida are both played away.

To add to the OOC schedule of Florida every year & Notre Dame in 2024, 2026, 2029, 2030...they have a H&H with Georgia on the schedule, are talking with Alabama..and want to beef up with opponents attractive to ticket holders.

In 2020 they play WVU in Atlanta and Boise away...the preference now will be more home & homes.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:44 am

Spence wrote:Alabama has decided that they need to play better out of conference games. Not because of strength of schedule, not because they need respect, and not to be able to recruit nationally.They have made the decision because even with all their success , no one is coming to a lot of their games. College football is a national game now, not unlike the NFL, unfortunately that cat is out of the bag now.

.....appears that ‘the most powerful group in College Football’ is speaking-up in Tuscaloosa. :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:54 am

billybud wrote:FSU AD just said that he will be beefing up home and homes...particularly for the odd year home schedule where Clemson and Florida are both played away.

To add to the OOC schedule of Florida every year & Notre Dame in 2024, 2026, 2029, 2030...they have a H&H with Georgia on the schedule, are talking with Alabama..and want to beef up with opponents attractive to ticket holders.

In 2020 they play WVU in Atlanta and Boise away...the preference now will be more home & homes.

Bobby Bowden showed College Football how to build a National Brand and a Championship Team....... 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:07 am

billybud wrote:FSU AD just said that he will be beefing up home and homes...particularly for the odd year home schedule where Clemson and Florida are both played away.

With that said and the general tenor of what FSU is doing, Ms. Cleo predicts that if FSU beats Boise they will buy out the trip in 2020, If Boise wins, then they will be glad they have it. A lot is riding on Taggart. I do not think he is a Bowden.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:35 am

donovan wrote:

With that said and the general tenor of what FSU is doing, Ms. Cleo predicts that if FSU beats Boise they will buy out the trip in 2020, If Boise wins, then they will be glad they have it. A lot is riding on Taggart. I do not think he is a Bowden.

.......that would be contradictory to the Bobby Bowden fundamental truth and foundation for building a program to National Prominence of “......we will play anybody, anywhere, anytime”.

College Football needs more guys like Coach Bowden........ there’re way too many guys currently in decision making positions within College Football who are willing to play the game within the game at the expense of the game.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:57 am

The "play anyone anywhere" strategy is good for breaking in when you are building a brand...not so great when you have a brand.

I mean...how silly is it to play the #1 Winningest team of the 90's four times in Lincoln without a return...or Ohio State twice in Columbus...Michigan twice in their Big House....while also playing the #4 Winningest Team (Florida) and the #8 (Miami) every year.

Playing five games at LSU with one return is nutty stuff...but go 5-1 and folks notice.

But why play a lot of tough teams without a return once you are a brand?

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:24 am

Well, looking at things in totality, one could conceivably conclude his approach can get a coached ‘fired’........ and with that, Your Honor, I rest my case.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:32 pm

What you do to start in business is not what you do later on. I use to make house calls. I rest my case.

**There is, however, a very profitable business model where most services are performed in the home.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:43 pm

OMG...house calls?

In your snappy one horse carriage?

Return to “General Discussion”