If You Like To Watch Offensive Line Play.......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: If You Like To Watch Offensive Line Play.......

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:44 pm

billybud wrote:We went to the Big House in '91....good memories. Impressive crowd.

Made a vacation out of it and dropped by the old family farm in Neenah, Wisconsin....a long days drive from Ann Arbor.

AS a boy educated in the Catholic school system, Notre Dame was almost pushed upon us....I liked Notre Dame until I stopped liking them.

I never liked Notre Dame ...

But I have learned to appreciate what they did for college football.

They were the original program that had shown the rest, how to market a team as an independent national commodity. Miami & Florida State both found success playing coast to coast, south to north.

The difference, of course, is that with Notre Dame; they established relationships & longstanding rivalry series with teams.

Miami & FSU would just take on all comers, even going one off versus opponents at their home fields without a return. Both earning national acclamations on their own.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:36 pm

Donovan....Man...what a signature...

Morphine?

Maybe more like a satisfying sip of bourbon.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:12 am

Mountainman wrote:........ as I do, I suggest you watch the Utah Utes/Southern Cal and the Georgia Bulldogs/Notre Dame Fighting Irish Games this weekend.

The Utes and Bulldogs have two of the best in College Football. I really enjoy watching how opposing defensive coordinators go able defending it...... they can drop down a safety or crowd a corner, but one missed assignment or a missed tackle and somebody runs a long way. 8)

I don't know if you've seen the post Air Force/Boise State game Sports Center highlights ... but while I have the Utah/USC game still playing here on my iPad, I'm watching espn go on to praise USC in every clip --- Not a single Utah highlight; and the game was 21-20 at the time.

Disney keeps proving to me why they are just a shameful corp that gives preferential to their cherry picked franchises.

USC isn't too far away from Burbank. They're practically in Disney Studios back yard.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:14 am

Cane posted...."Disney keeps proving to me why they are just a shameful corp that gives preferential to their cherry picked franchises."

Conspiracy theorists thrive on the "ESPN/Disney hates us"....

Not to mention that the game was actually carried by Fox Sports.

Sure, various talking heads will talk more some days about a program than others...

Folks used to rail on about Herbie being a BIg Ten homer...about Jesse Palmer being a former Gator and a SEC homer...or last week, Brian Griese's announcing infuriated Gator fans with his remarks about their quarterback..."ESPN hates us" is a refrain sung from board to board like the deep sea call of humpback whales.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:25 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:........ as I do, I suggest you watch the Utah Utes/Southern Cal and the Georgia Bulldogs/Notre Dame Fighting Irish Games this weekend.

The Utes and Bulldogs have two of the best in College Football. I really enjoy watching how opposing defensive coordinators go able defending it...... they can drop down a safety or crowd a corner, but one missed assignment or a missed tackle and somebody runs a long way. 8)

I don't know if you've seen the post Air Force/Boise State game Sports Center highlights ... but while I have the Utah/USC game still playing here on my iPad, I'm watching espn go on to praise USC in every clip --- Not a single Utah highlight; and the game was 21-20 at the time.

Disney keeps proving to me why they are just a shameful corp that gives preferential to their cherry picked franchises.

USC isn't too far away from Burbank. They're practically in Disney Studios back yard.

Confession time....... I fell asleep and didn’t see the end of either USC/Utah or Boise/Air Force. :roll:

From what I did see the USC/Utah game had a bunch of miscues by both teams and IMHO was not very well played by either. Last thing I remember was Utah fumbling the ball down on the goal line.

I was flipping back and forth to the Boise/Air Force game and dozed off....... :|

Guess my Fan Rating for last night won’t even come close to the Richter Scale Rating up at Camp Randall today. :wink:

......btw, the lead story I saw today about the USC/Utah game was..... ‘The Return of Reggie Bush’. Makes me wonder, where was Pete???
Last edited by Mountainman on Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:32 am

If you want bitter conspiracy theorists...it will be UConn fans.

Who believe, wholeheartedly, that ESPN conspired to wreck the old Big East and then conspired to lock out UConn from the ACC....even with ESPN's home office being located in Connecticut...and despite the state's large tax breaks given the company.

UConn & the Big East, through Connecticut Attorney General Blumenthal, accused Miami and Miami's President Shalala of conspiracy and deceit.

ESPN Hates Us thrums through the very ether of Connecticut.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:39 pm

---

???

Bitter conspiracy theorist ... They hate us ..?

No, I see what I see. I never said they hate Utah. I said they are shameful, as they went on to promote one team, and did not give any time to the other. Which is precisely what they did.

The game was 21-20, after Utah had kicked a field goal. Sport Center was showing these clips during the game. They acted almost as if they were a USC promotion, rather than a Sports Network.

Reread what I posted. Because; Hating Utah is not hinted at.

Cane... [__]

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:11 pm

Ha!!! The Badgers and Wolverines!!! This is a bloodbath. Almost every single season, this happens with the Maize & Blue. Pathetic and ridiculous. I am a fan but come on guys! Get this crap together.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:31 pm

Hey...USC was the underdog...and it's a story if they are ahead....I got the same stuff about Boise and the announcer love vs FSU...

I just don't go all lathered.

The announcers for the FSU-Louisville game just harped on how at FSU it is desperation while at Louisville, it is validation...in the first 30 seconds...

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:42 pm

---

So what if they were the underdog ..?

If you're a sports network, and showing highlights of a close game that is in progress, then stop conflating you favored son, or stop pretending you are impartial.

As for lathered ... calling me a conspiracy theorist kind of makes you lathered; just not about sports.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:49 pm

collegefbfan-8898 wrote:Ha!!! The Badgers and Wolverines!!! This is a bloodbath. Almost every single season, this happens with the Maize & Blue. Pathetic and ridiculous. I am a fan but come on guys! Get this crap together.

I thought it was pretty telling that everyone who participated in the Predictions this week, picked Wisconsin to win.

However, I do not believe anyone of us expected what transpired. Michigan got manhandled for the better part of 4 quarters. They came alive some, but way too late to matter.

I don't know what to think of Michigan, now ... I think Joel Klatt said it best in his post game wrap up.

Wisconsin knows who they are, and they play to their strengths.

Michigan is a team without an identity. They have no real scheme. They look like they are trying to find themselves, during the game. And this was a complete exposure of how bad things have gotten in Ann Arbor.

Today's game was a complete mismatch. Michigan never stood any chance.

Cane... [__]

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:57 am

Agree with all that. I heard an announcer say that Michigan didn’t seem to have the fire when playing Army. One game day announcer said today before the game that Wisconsin hadn’t played anybody. Even after playing the guys in blue, I will say, Wisconsin still hasn’t played anybody. This season will play out, and beating Michigan we like be the same as beating Connecticut or Baylor or some crap like that.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:44 am

—-

Maybe a Northwestern, or Stanford ... but, UConn is about as low as you can get.

Cane... [__]

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:49 am

I like seasons with Win-Loss parity.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:34 am

As much as I hate to admit it, I thought Norte Dame looked good last night. I thought they out played Georgia most of the game. They were good in the trenches, they were very good side to side. If they have a weakness it is that they aren’t as powerful up front.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”