Greatest Teams of All time

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Greatest Teams of All time

Postby Derek » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:05 am

Apparently ESPN did a list, which means someone wanted to share his opinion.

But I like Herbstreit's answer. No reason for them to be #7.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/CFB150teams/the-150-greatest-teams-college-football-150-year-history
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Greatest Teams of All time

Postby donovan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:15 am

It is only this generation of Millenials that are arrogant enough to think they can read some statistic about a Yale team in the late 1800s or rank a Boise State as one of the 150 all-time best teams...because of one game, that may have been the game of the season, and a little longer...

I think Global Warming has fried their brains. Where is Greta when you need her...I digress...speaking of abusing a child with adult arrogance. I really digress.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:44 pm

The best team I ever saw play was 2001 Miami. They were solid everywhere. I don't recall another team in my lifetime who had that same combination of speed and power on both sides of the ball. The best Ohio State team I have seen play was the '68 team with the super sophs. I thought Jack Tatum was the best player I had ever seen and I wanted to play like him.
Of Course this list is usually something sports guys do in the off season. And there is no way to compare era's. Jack Tatum would never be great today because he would get ejected from every game he played in.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:53 pm

“The Media” has been doing this for a long, long time....... I remember when I was a fledgling hillbilly and absolutely consumed by Roger Maris and his pursuit of Babe Ruth’s single season home run record.

After Maris hit #61 the media came out and claimed Ruth’s record still stood because Ruth hit 60 homers in a 154 game season while Maris hit 61 homers in a 162 game season.

I was crushed, believing that somehow Roger Maris was a fraud, a fake, that my hero had been exposed........ until sometime later when I found out that although Ruth did hit 60 homers in 154 games and Maris did hit 61 in 162 games, Maris did it in fewer ‘at bats’.

Now, I’m wondering how many homers Ruth or Maris would hit with this flat-seamed, slick, and juiced-up baseball they’re using in today’s game.

Thus, I am cynical of all things Media driven, or as my grandpappy would say, “ Take it with a grain of salt.” . 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:25 pm

You have to include the Iron Men of Sewanee...They went 12-0 and can lay claim to be the greatest road team of all time.

They went on a six day road trip and had shut outs against Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Tulane, and Mississippi...they travelled 2,500 miles by train in six days...

The 13 iron men of Sewanee played both ways and for nearly every play...for five days in a row...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:36 pm

1964 Arkansas Razorback went UNDEFEATED and shutout 5 teams in a row to end regular season outscoring them 116-0 over those 5 games (and on the season outscored their opponents 231-64). They beat #1 ranked Texas in Austin as well. They beat #6 Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl and ended the season as the only undefeated team in college football. They started the 1965 season 10-0. 22 straight wins..longest winning streak in the 1960’s.

That team was coached by the legendary Frank Broyles and featured several players you guys might have heard of: Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson, among others.

I was not alive in 1964 but have watched replays of most of the games. They were one of the best ever.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/razorbackers.com/2014/10/10/remembering-1964-arkansas-razorbacks-football-team/amp/
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:35 pm

I wouldn't put them as the greatest...

But the 2013 Seminoles were very, very good....they went 14-0, and beat #1 Auburn...(and Clemson on the road)

....set the current NCAA record for points scored in a season.

....won their games by an average of 39 points...

....ranked #2 in Scoring Offense

....ranked #1 in Scoring Defense
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:11 pm

donovan wrote:It is only this generation of Millenials that are arrogant enough to think they can read some statistic about a Yale team in the late 1800s or rank a Boise State as one of the 150 all-time best teams...because of one game, that may have been the game of the season, and a little longer...

I think Global Warming has fried their brains. Where is Greta when you need her...I digress...speaking of abusing a child with adult arrogance. I really digress.

Yeah, well I look on these lists two ways. One, it's good to get a discussion going, however, the writer has his own opinion and biases (and often ignorance), and these lists get treated as facts too often. Mixed feelings.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:10 pm

That is true. All these kinds of things are opinion, but they are meant to be fun and not a point of fact.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:17 am

Hard to compare between era's....like Babe Ruth vs more recent hitters...so many variables.

One thing that always catches my aged eye...athlete's size and strength today vs my 1960's high school days.

In the 1970's, the average NFL offensive line went 6'3" and 255 pounds....10 pounds more than the linebacker average today.

In 1965, the Florida State state large school division champion had their tallest player as their 6'1 center.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:55 am

........opinions are great, and sharing opinions are informative, thought provoking and revealing.

And anyone who may happen to believe, or have any semblance that their opinions are always correct, needs to simply participate in the Weekly Picks featured here on this site.

That’ll cool your jets........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:23 am

billybud wrote:Hard to compare between era's....like Babe Ruth vs more recent hitters...so many variables.

One thing that always catches my aged eye...athlete's size and strength today vs my 1960's high school days.

In the 1970's, the average NFL offensive line went 6'3" and 255 pounds....10 pounds more than the linebacker average today.

In 1965, the Florida State state large school division champion had their tallest player as their 6'1 center.

Yeah, completely different today. I know a guy who played on the offensive line on the '68 championship team and his playing weight was 245.

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:02 pm

Spence wrote:That is true. All these kinds of things are opinion, but they are meant to be fun and not a point of fact.

But are often treated as fact, which is my point.

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:43 pm

Best team I think I ever saw play live was the 94 Penn State team with Kerry Collins at QB. They played against Illinois who had a very good defense that year lead by LB Kevin Hardy. They went on to beat Oregon in the Rose Bowl rather handily behind RB Ki-Jana Carter. I had such good memories and strong feelings of that game but after the whole debacle of Paterno and Sandusky the memory has soured.

Return to “General Discussion”