Week 5 Random Thoughts

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Week 5 Random Thoughts

Postby billybud » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:31 am

The ACC champion will be in even with one loss, I think.

....Ohio State is rolling....their Nebraska win was overpowering, but Nebraska is somewhat suspect...(Colorado beat them, Illinois was within 4 points)...and even South Alabama scored 21 points on them. Looks like the Buckeyes can be pencilled in for the playoff.

....Oklahoma looks like they can sweep...pencil in for CFP

...ink in SEC champ for CFP.

...Notre Dame has a loss and no CCG for a 13th data point...out

It will be odd man out between the PAC 12 and ACC for 4th spot.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:15 am

The Buckeyes did indeed look really good and impressive last weekend, the best overall performance I’ve seen by a team so far this season, although I’m not sure the TV guys didn’t overhype Nebraska. Venue, tradition and history are great marketing and selling points to College Football Fans and casual TV Fans looking for a game to watch, and they’re very good at doing that.
But, before being ‘penciled in’ the Buckeyes must deal with the a tough, tough, tough schedule with Michigan State, Wisconsin, then back to back Penn State and Michigan to close out the Regular Season...... and then IMHO, deal with another good looking team, the Iowa Hawkeyes, in the Conference Title Game.

If the Buckeyes run that gauntlet then yep, pencil them in. 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:24 am

Cane posted:

And yet; that was the only comment comparing Clemson to Boise ...

You have to read the comments in context of an ongoing conversation.

I think, and had posted, that Boise would run the table once they passed FSU.

Comments:

15. If Clemson loses a Regular Season Game, they will not make it to the CFP for two reasons. First, a weak schedule, and second, there’re better teams out there. 8)

I even wonder if Clemson has a few more close calls, would they make the playoff. They should not be allowed in based on last year. I know the season has to play out, but Auburn, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, etc. all look great.

Pointing out that Boise is this season's UCF. An undefeated season won't be enough to eclipse a one loss Clemson.

This is a 13 year old conversation between myself and Donovan....the value of wins.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:44 pm

I think Notre Dame's fate is tied to Georgia's. If Georgia can find it's way to #1, they can drag Notre Dame up with them. I'm not sure that is wrong, Notre Dame has looked very good so far this season.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:55 pm

billybud wrote:
This is a 13 year old conversation between myself and Donovan....the value of wins.

And one I value. Sometimes when I feel a tinge I might agree with you, I take a deep breath and resort to my usual blatherskite.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:46 am

billybud wrote:Cane posted:

And yet; that was the only comment comparing Clemson to Boise ...

You have to read the comments in context of an ongoing conversation.

I think, and had posted, that Boise would run the table once they passed FSU.

Comments:

15. If Clemson loses a Regular Season Game, they will not make it to the CFP for two reasons. First, a weak schedule, and second, there’re better teams out there. 8)

I even wonder if Clemson has a few more close calls, would they make the playoff. They should not be allowed in based on last year. I know the season has to play out, but Auburn, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, etc. all look great.

Pointing out that Boise is this season's UCF. An undefeated season won't be enough to eclipse a one loss Clemson.

This comment:

Was posted by Mountainman; and he was referring to the possibility of Clemson being past by other Power5 Programs.

This comment:

Was made by collegefootballfan-8898, had absolutely nothing to do with Boise.

I also read this comment, which was posted by Donovan:

13. Finally, I feel bad for Dossenator. The most ardent team supporter on this board. Every season unwavering faith. But alas... Well, Doss, you still have baseball and maybe this next season. Do I have empathy, absolutely, Oregon State is my favorite team. I like Boise State, but that relationship fades as that son is now 42.

So I'm just saying; be careful that you don't become the Don Quixote fighting the windmills Donovan is still swinging at.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:21 am

Oh thanks for your input. I'll consider it..OK..I have.

The theme was that Clemson's schedule would allow them to be passed for the CFP...

Maybe...but I think not.

The G5 will not get a spot....Boise would be the one, but I think that. like UCF, Boise gets a NY6 bowl. SOS again, like UCF.

Notre Dame has a loss and will only play 12 games.

The PAC and ACC will fight over the last spot.

But hey, we ought to be talking about the phenomenal eclipse of a blue moon type occurrance of Wake Forest and SMU both being 5-0.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:27 pm

billybud wrote:Oh thanks for your input. I'll consider it..OK..I have.

The theme was that Clemson's schedule would allow them to be passed for the CFP...

Maybe...but I think not.

The G5 will not get a spot....Boise would be the one, but I think that. like UCF, Boise gets a NY6 bowl. SOS again, like UCF.

The theme was Clemson getting passed by; but not in the least was it about a Group of 5 team being the one to get the nod. No one here insinuated it. Because we all are aware, that even an undefeated Go5 candidate the last 2 seasons, could only finish 12th last year, behind 1 & 2 loss teams whose name was not Clemson.

billybud wrote:Notre Dame has a loss and will only play 12 games.

Yes, and, if Clemson were to lose a game, there would be an outside chance for Notre Dame to receive the bid.

If Georgia finishes undefeated, winning the SEC Championship, the case would be there, regardless of Notre Dame's 1 loss 12 game schedule.

Especially, if Alabama were to lose a game to either LSU or Auburn. If Georgia beats Auburn in the regular season, then faces them again for the SEC title, and wins, Georgia would be #1 ... Notre Dame gets in over whoever the Pac-12 Champ is, and likely Clemson.

Would it raise a fuss..?

Of course it would. And would fuel the controversy to expand the playoffs to 8 teams. Even still; that wouldn't include a Group of 5 team, because as we all saw last year, the best they get is just outside of the top 10.

It might even force Notre Dame to start scheduling a 13th game each year. [Hawaii already does that]

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:42 pm

There is still plenty of time for me to change my mind, and I hope I get there, but right now Norte Dame looks good to me. I think that if they start pummeling people to end the year that they absolutely have a shot in. It will be tough, but as long as Georgia plays well and Notre Dame wins, they have a shot. They will need some help and I think to good losses by Georgia, but it is there.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:48 pm

billybud wrote:But hey, we ought to be talking about the phenomenal eclipse of a blue moon type occurance of Wake Forest and SMU both being 5-0.

This comment deserved it's own reply.

These sort of anomalies don't take place very often. It's the kind of thing that superstitious people have an unspoken acknowledgement of, because they do not want to jinx it, by saying so out loud.

I don't think either will be able to keep it up all season long. But, how far they get before they stumble is anyone's guess.

If I were a betting man [and I'm not], I would put my money on Wake losing first.

SMU does have to play Temple - @ Houston - @ Memphis - ECU - @ Navy in a five game stretch.

But I think SMU will beat Temple the same day the Deacons drop the game to FSU.

Cane... [__]

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:10 am

donovan wrote:
billybud wrote:

And one I value. Sometimes when I feel a tinge I might agree with you, I take a deep breath and resort to my usual blatherskite.

We are SOO gonna miss your blatherskite Donovan! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:06 am

Derek wrote:
donovan wrote:
billybud wrote:

We are SOO gonna miss your blatherskite Donovan! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I already do ... he and I usually had sent comments back and forth during these later night games.

I was out of town last weekend, and didn't get back home until after 1 am. Which is when I first noticed Donovan did not submit his Predictions.

My concern started right then.

As I sit here and watch the end of the Boise State -v- Hawaii game, I am more so aware tonight, he is not here to pass the time with, get his take, feel his being there.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”