Soooooo,

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Soooooo,

Postby Mountainman » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:23 am

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Soooooo,

Postby billybud » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:41 am

I can see this if it goes nationwide...

With those car dealerships in Tuscaloosa and College Station and Clemson and Knoxville and Columbus signing 5-star high school kids to endorsement deals when they sign with the hometown school. Yeah, this is going to be great.

Sign with certain schools and you'll be assured to get endorsement deals.

Yep...this'll be great for college sports.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:45 am

Booster owned businesses paying endorsement deals as a method to entice athletes to play at their school...the SEC, at one time, had a better idea, just skip the endorsement subterfuge and slip the player cash and cars.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:41 pm

billybud wrote:I can see this if it goes nationwide...

With those car dealerships in Tuscaloosa and College Station and Clemson and Knoxville and Columbus signing 5-star high school kids to endorsement deals when they sign with the hometown school. Yeah, this is going to be great.

Sign with certain schools and you'll be assured to get endorsement deals.

Yep...this'll be great for college sports.

It has happened that way for years, but yes it will get worse. Count on that.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:06 pm

Like most everything that comes out of California, this is lunacy.

Mr. Billybud and Spence are correct, been going on for a long time and cut out the middle man, just leave the cash in their locker and don't look at the cars parked in the players' lot. (Yeah, that's right, even Boise State has assigned parking spaces for players.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:31 pm

I’m not against players getting paid for schools using their likeness, but I think they should be paid under the school’s licensing agreements and based on how much their likeness generates. I think the whole team should split that money. That way the schools aren’t negotiating with some high school kid’s agent before he does anything. That way incoming freshmen benefit from upper class man accomplishments. It also keeps Joe’s BMW sales from entering the fray.

Otherwise they will have to draft players the way the NFL does or this will destroy college football. All college sports since Football and Basketball fund everything.

It has to be handled collectively to make it work. Or the NCAA could simply leave California schools out of the scope of the NCAA and not eligible to compete in the post season.
Which would really frost the California lawmakers butts. They can’t make laws in California that are enforced elsewhere. The constitution limits their ability to do it anywhere but California. They could start their own version of the NCAA and recruit schools away from the NCAA, but that is it.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:31 pm

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:41 pm

Here Mark Cuban’s take on the subject.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/mark ... it-implode
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:34 pm

They do have ways to “fire” kids now by not renewing their scholarship. There are lots of things wrong with how the ncaa treats student athletes, but if they are going to go all out and pay kids they shouldn’t play for schools. They should be a d league for the nfl.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:26 pm

Well, currently all California lawmakers have managed to do is potentially put California NCAA Member Schools between a rock and a hard place. The Member Schools would be forced into choosing to either follow California Law and violate NCAA Rules or follow NCAA Rules and violate California Law.

.......btw, at first blush, I kinda like the D-League notion Spence tossed out, let the players make the choice of do I want to be paid to play, or do I want to trade my play for an education-plus and then maybe be paid to play.

Let LeBron and the guys who want to use these guys’ name, image and likeness finance the D-League. 8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:58 pm

I don’t see how the schools can run a sport without student athletes. If they are being paid to play, do they have to go to class? If they don’t, then they aren’t students. They are professional athletes.

I don’t think a d league would affect the popularity of college football. It would probably affect the quality of the athletes, but what ever, Harvard has been playing football for a long time.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:12 am

---

No, I am certain a D league football of just from high school kids, and some that graduate or leave university programs early, without making the nfl cut, wouldn't affect College Football much at all --- The fan bases are simply too big to split.

There would be a lot less JuCo players looking to get back to D-1 schools. Heck, there would be a lot less JuCo players in general.

I don't think these kids would get the amount of money endorsements as a Star Power5 player would generate. But at least as a semi-professional league, these guys wouldn't be on a running clock for eligibility.

Then, maybe they could still play their way up.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:44 am

Just a thought......... does anyone know, meaning have the research data and facts, if this ‘Pot of Gold’ for the name, image or likeness is real???
Surely guys, such as LeBron James, the California Legislative Bunch and California’s Governor would have the data and facts before they would support and pass a law that potentially would be the demise of the NCAA. Which happens to be an organization that provides measurable and proven value to tens of thousands of student-athletes.
Or, are guys, such as LeBron James, the California Legislative Bunch and California’s Governor mission, intended or unintended, to kill the goose laying the Golden Eggs?????

Maybe the politicians believe it will help their tech industry make video games or their import businesses with shirts from the Far East, Southeast Asia, India and Pakistan or other West Coast Apparel Business Interests to generate tax dollars.

I read where LeBron is telling ‘Momma Stories’ to the press as a reason for his support.

And I don’t have any idea how many people there are that buy a car because a College Football Player made a commercial or saw a player’s face on a billboard.

Has research been done, what are the facts???? Is it available?????

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:38 pm

Shaq makes a lot of money hawking all kinds of products....I don't think we buy insurance because Shaq drives a cute car with a cartoon general...but I believe that the industry knows that celebrities hold your attention and you are less likely to tune out.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:15 pm

There’re any number of folks hawking a wide variety of interests and products, say like bookies laundering money through their Used Car Business and a others with nefarious interests. :wink:

You think maybe those types might want to get inside a locker room??? They’ve done it before and I would suspect they pay well to get their hooks in a kid as a “Sponsor”.

The absolute worst thing that can happen to College Sports is Politicians. IMHO.

Let the NCAA deal with the issues surrounding College Sports and keep the Politicians out of it.

Thank you for listening, and now I’ll climb down off my Soapbox..... 8)

Return to “General Discussion”