I believe CFP Chairman just said.....

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I believe CFP Chairman just said.....

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:59 pm

They won’t crack the top 6. All I have heard today is that LSU beat Alabama so LSU must be really good and Penn State must not be very good because they lost to Minnesota. So does every week really count? I’m not sure that they count much at all. If this really is a fluid poll based on what is happening today and this year only, then Minnesota has a better resume today than Alabama.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:08 am

You're right ...

Though, I myself, haven't heard any Penn State wasn't that good talk. I've actually heard different. That Penn State is probably pretty good. And that the fans should be pleased with what they have, because it looks as if they are a year ahead of schedule.

Minnesota will likely not crack the Top 6. But they will not be left out of the top 10, maybe even 8.

The committee will try their best to keep up appearances, by elevating Minnesota to a position, so that they could move up into the Top 5 just before the Big 10 Title game, so long as they stay undefeated.

They still have Iowa & Wisconsin to play ... well, and Northwestern, but, I don't think many would even notice that game even having been played, unless the Wildcats somehow win.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:58 am

It was all over ESPN u yesterday and ESPN u radio. There was a huge push to put Alabama in at 4 even though they haven’t had a ranked win.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:03 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Well, if that’s the case, then let’s take a look at Alabama’s ‘quality wins’ so far this season. :wink:

:lol:

You posted your comment while I was still typing up mine ...

Quicker trigger I suppose.

But, yeah ... Alabama, before the LSU game, had the 127th out of 130 SoS with regards to the winning percentages of their opponents.

Of course it's a little higher now, after the LSU game ... but, that is a game where they lost. So, infer from that what you will.

........ just perusing the board while watching Dallas and Minnesota and healing up after an abysmal performance by the Mountaineers this weekend. :roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:58 am

nm
Last edited by billybud on Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:59 am

Alabama is just a pretty darn good club...

Their two turnovers and miscues in the first half spotted LSU with a 21 point lead. And Bama fought back to lose by 5 instead of letting it be a rout. I am not sure there are three teams in America that could overcome a 21 point lead by LSU.

There will be some that won't see it the way I do..and that's OK...

Bama won't make the playoffs without a lot of help from others losing.

If they hold serve, Ohio State, LSU, and Clemson will play...the 4th spot is up for grabs.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:25 am

billybud wrote:Alabama is just a pretty darn good club...

Their two turnovers and miscues in the first half spotted LSU with a 21 point lead. And Bama fought back to lose by 5 instead of letting it be a rout. I am not sure there are three teams in America that could overcome a 21 point lead by LSU.

There will be some that won't see it the way I do..and that's OK...

Bama won't make the playoffs without a lot of help from others losing.

If they hold serve, Ohio State, LSU, and Clemson will play...the 4th spot is up for grabs.

I agree that Alabama is probably very good and if I were putting money down between them an anyone - I would have to think twice not to pick them. But my opinion has nothing to do with anything they have done this year. They have lost the only game they played against a good team.

The committee is supposed to throw out anything that has happened before this year and just consider what they have done this year. My point since the beginning of this thread is that they can’t do it. Past does play a part. Otherwise Minnesota would be second behind LSU this week. Ohio State has a win over an average Wisconsin team and Clemson has a close game to an average North Carolina team. Neither has a win as good as Minnesota right now. If this committee were really being fluid and objective that is where they would be this week. Because anything else is just opinion not based on this year’s games to this point and if they can’t even live up to their own mission statement, then why are we going forward with this selection system?

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:12 pm

I agree. Teams like Bama get the benefit of the doubt because of their past. But I think it's also because they generate money.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:56 pm

Derek wrote:I agree. Teams like Bama get the benefit of the doubt because of their past. But I think it's also because they generate money.

Not just Alabama. Lots of teams get boosts from their history. Ohio State, Notre Dame, Clemson, Penn State, Michigan, Georgia, Florida, USC, UCLA, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida State, and Miami all get the benefit of the doubt based on their past when they are winning to some degree. Even if their body of work doesn't support it.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:55 pm

Of course Alabama is one of the top teams in the nation, as they demonstrated last Saturday against LSU. BUT, there are a couple of things to consider. First, the Tide lost a game, and next is their schedule is weak, weak, weak.

We’ve talked a lot about regular season scheduling on this board, and that along with the loss may very well prove to be the reason(s) for the Tide to be passed over this season even though they are a top team. Any exclusion from the CFP is of their own making.

......and btw, Clemson is in the same boat if the Tigers happen to lose a game, although for a different circumstance. 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:23 am

Mountainman wrote:Of course Alabama is one of the top teams in the nation, as they demonstrated last Saturday against LSU. BUT, there are a couple of things to consider. First, the Tide lost a game, and next is their schedule is weak, weak, weak.

We’ve talked a lot about regular season scheduling on this board, and that along with the loss may very well prove to be the reason(s) for the Tide to be passed over this season even though they are a top team. Any exclusion from the CFP is of their own making.

......and btw, Clemson is in the same boat if the Tigers happen to lose a game, although for a different circumstance. 8)

Yes, Bama's schedule is VERY weak this year. The only team on their schedule currently ranked is LSU. What bothers me again, is that Bama will not to go Atlanta at all (much less lose), and they'll still get put in. That's what putting them at #4 is setting them up for. :? :? :cry:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”