I believe CFP Chairman just said.....

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: I believe CFP Chairman just said.....

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:35 am

Spence wrote:Minnesota #49 SOS according to Phil Steele beat a committee ranked top 10 team. It wasn't a fluke. Minnesota outplayed the Nits. Alabama Lost to a Top 10 team. That wasn't a fluke either. If having a name school doesn't matter, lets see where Minnesota is ranked compared to Alabama this week. Lets see if the committee can rank teams based on what they have done and there name or their history.

Minnesota has an opportunity to SHOCK THE WORLD...... :shock: :shock:

......knock off Whisky, win the west, knock off the Buckeyes in the CCG and BOOM, the CFP Committee goes bonkers. :lol: :lol: :lol:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:01 am

Yes, but look at what they have to do to be able to make it. They have to win the B1G to be considered. Alabama just lost (although to probably the best team) and they will be ranked better than Minnesota this week. If the committee truly only looked at this year Minnesota would be ranked above them this week, based on them beating the committee's own #4 and Bama losing to the committee's own #2.

The problem with the committee - any committee, is that they can't avoid influence. They hear all the same stuff as we do. They here CBS after the LSU game stumping for Alabama to still be included rather than show the LSU players celebrating their accomplishment. I can't avoid it, you can't, and neither can the committee. There have been rankings on teams since the season started. No one can hide from that. I don't believe that the rankings would be so lock step with each other if no one showed there rankings for 10 weeks. The subjectivity is there and you can't keep it out. Nobody knows how Minnesota this year would fair against LSU, Clemson, or Ohio State. I would pick any of those teams over Minnesota, but what is that based on? History. What I know about the first three's past and what I know about Minnesota's past. We tend to discount teams based on who they are and we aren't honest about it. That is why they need to remove subjectivity from the process. So what if we aren't sure the best team didn't win. We can't be sure now.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:19 am

Spence wrote:Yes, but look at what they have to do to be able to make it. They have to win the B1G to be considered. Alabama just lost (although to probably the best team) and they will be ranked better than Minnesota this week. If the committee truly only looked at this year Minnesota would be ranked above them this week, based on them beating the committee's own #4 and Bama losing to the committee's own #2.

The problem with the committee - any committee, is that they can't avoid influence. They hear all the same stuff as we do. They here CBS after the LSU game stumping for Alabama to still be included rather than show the LSU players celebrating their accomplishment. I can't avoid it, you can't, and neither can the committee. There have been rankings on teams since the season started. No one can hide from that. I don't believe that the rankings would be so lock step with each other if no one showed there rankings for 10 weeks. The subjectivity is there and you can't keep it out. Nobody knows how Minnesota this year would fair against LSU, Clemson, or Ohio State. I would pick any of those teams over Minnesota, but what is that based on? History. What I know about the first three's past and what I know about Minnesota's past. We tend to discount teams based on who they are and we aren't honest about it. That is why they need to remove subjectivity from the process. So what if we aren't sure the best team didn't win. We can't be sure now.

Yep, and that illustrates control of the narrative which controls the room where judgements are made a decisions are arrived at. I see where Dabo ran it up yesterday, he’s got to get the Tigers back in the narrative. :wink:

This notion of “best” is an illusion and is being sold to justify a judgement...... and that’s OK, but for goodness sakes don’t sell it as fact or truth.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:22 pm

Yeah it you really shouldn’t get points for beating a bad team by an extra 40 points whether your name is Clemson or Ohio State. But that is the name of the game. Beat bad teams by a lot and we will say you are great. Beating bad teams by lots of points prove nothing except the other team is bad.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:36 pm

I kinda figured Penn State was inflated. Minnesota proved they were. Glad for Minnesota. It was a signature win for their program.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:41 pm

Derek wrote:I kinda figured Penn State was inflated. Minnesota proved they were. Glad for Minnesota. It was a signature win for their program.

That is the assumption, mine too, but how do we know Penn State was inflated, what if they are really good and Minnesota is great? That is my point in all this. We all have preconceived notions and it effects a historically lesser teams chance to make the playoff. Especially over a one loss historically good team like Alabama.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:56 pm

billybud wrote:Yes Cane...you can lose and stay in...if others lose too.

But a two loss team has never made the playoff.

The way it is now is as close an approximation as one can get to the best team....

This morning the 130 computers have Oklahoma at #11 despite their 8-1 record and their Big 12 standings lead and Minnesota #14 at 9-0...with Penn State #4 having lost....Go computers!

Yes Billybud,

However, had Auburn beaten Georgia for the SEC Championship, in 2017, they were absolutely going to put a 2 loss team into the playoff.

But I never advocated for a system based purely on the Computer Rankings ...

Nor have we ever had one.

So I fail to see your point.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:26 pm

And I yours.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:56 pm

I see they still have Alabama in the playoff picture. They are going to put another non-conference champion (won't even play in the game) in the playoff again....only Alabama gets this kind of treatment. :cry:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:50 pm

Alabama has one loss by 5 points to the number one team....I would have Bama above any other one loss teams like Penn State, Oklahoma, Oregon....and Georgia who lost to South Carolina...who was beaten by Appalachian State and four others (including Bama).

There is a value to the quality of the win...and also the loss.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:24 pm

billybud wrote:Alabama has one loss by 5 points to the number one team....I would have Bama above any other one loss teams like Penn State, Oklahoma, Oregon....and Georgia who lost to South Carolina...who was beaten by Appalachian State and four others (including Bama).

Well, if that’s the case, then let’s take a look at Alabama’s ‘quality wins’ so far this season. :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:28 pm

billybud wrote:Alabama has one loss by 5 points to the number one team....I would have Bama above any other one loss teams like Penn State, Oklahoma, Oregon....and Georgia who lost to South Carolina...who was beaten by Appalachian State and four others (including Bama).

Minnesota won by 5 to the #4 team. They are undefeated. Where should they be?

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:39 pm

And which win does Alabama have that is quality?

They have played only 1 team in the top 25; in a losing effort.

They may have only lost by 5 points. But they barely made the game actually look close. LSU controlled the pace of the game, and Alabama played from behind, desperate, start to finish.

I would agree, that losing to South Carolina should have consequences. Though, I do not believe that was Derek's intentional comment.

I think he was referring to, what have the Conference Champions done to deserve being in the Tournament. Because, if Alabama's big win, is over a 4 loss Gamecocks team, only due to their beating Georgia; then is that really enough..?

The Tide have 2 teams left they can attempt to impress the committee with; Mississippi St & Auburn plus one garbage can game vs an FCS opponent, Western Carolina.

Even if they do blowout Missi St, so what ...

Which really only leaves Auburn. And, even if Bama beat Auburn, it will still be their only top 15 win of the year.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:41 pm

Mountainman wrote:Well, if that’s the case, then let’s take a look at Alabama’s ‘quality wins’ so far this season. :wink:

:lol:

You posted your comment while I was still typing up mine ...

Quicker trigger I suppose.

But, yeah ... Alabama, before the LSU game, had the 127th out of 130 SoS with regards to the winning percentages of their opponents.

Of course it's a little higher now, after the LSU game ... but, that is a game where they lost. So, infer from that what you will.

Last edited by Cane from the Bend on Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:42 pm

Spence wrote:

Minnesota won by 5 to the #4 team. They are undefeated. Where should they be?

#4 ... maybe even #3

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”