Thar He Blows

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Thar He Blows

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:34 pm

billybud wrote:Spence...since this is a small board...I'll say this, but still with some trepidation....FSU had hired their first black AD...still a rarity...and that AD, before leaving for the NCAA, really pushed for FSU to hire a black HC. The President agreed that FSU should be forward thinking and provide such an opportunity.

The coaching search began and ended with Willie....Deion Sanders was a big WT supporter.

I think if the focus was to hire a black coach, then that was a mistake. Still if it was there are plenty of candidates that could be better. Lovie Smith at Illinois has had to do it from the ground up as a college coach. It is very different than the NFL. He is starting to build something there - not an easy task. The problem with going that route is that your fan base has to except that it is a long term proposition and commitment. That can’t work at Florida State. That fan base is used to winning and not patient enough to wait for it.
I would think if Florida State’s goal was a black coach then David Shaw or James Franklin would have been smarter targets. I don’t think it is racist to talk about hiring or not hiring a black AD or coach. I think the problem we had as a country is the fear of everyone to offend someone. I think for a school to hire a head coach based on anything but his resume is stupid. I believe that not hiring a coach based on his ethnicity is also stupid.
Ohio State has Gene Smith as their AD and he has done a great job (even if he is a domer). He was hired because he proved himself as an AD at three other schools. I’m sorry but top tier schools don’t hire AD’s or coaches that haven’t proven themselves. Florida State has a top tier athletic program and is a top tier school. It sounds to me that they didn’t do what a top tier school would do to hire a head coach. At least that is what it looks like from the outside.

Ohio State this year hires Ryan Day. The first time in school history hiring a coach without head coaching experience. We will see in a few years if that was smart. The difference I see with Day is that Urban Meyer was hired as assistant AD basically to mentor him into the role as well as “coach” the other coaches as Ohio State.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:34 pm

Franklin was tied up at Penn State...and was a target...still is...but not on the list because Penn State is a destination job.

Shaw was presented a contract extension and salary bump after the 2015 Rose Bowl win...out of the picture.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:34 pm

Georgia hired a black AD after Dooley. HUGE mistake.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Derek wrote:Georgia hired a black AD after Dooley. HUGE mistake.
But not because he was black. Because he was not a good choice. Race should have nothing to do with it. They problem comes when someone is hire because or denied because of their race. Both situations are wrong and only serve to promote stereotypes.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:53 pm

Spence wrote:
Derek wrote:Georgia hired a black AD after Dooley. HUGE mistake.
But not because he was black. Because he was not a good choice. Race should have nothing to do with it. They problem comes when someone is hire because or denied because of their race. Both situations are wrong and only serve to promote stereotypes.

I remember them making a big deal about him being the first, and that always annoyed me. Then he went and put some girls underwear around his head and it got weird pretty fast. :lol: :lol: :lol:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:26 pm

That never ends well.

Return to “General Discussion”