Thar He Blows

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Thar He Blows

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:57 pm

You never know but if they pay PJ Fleck at Minnesota he would have a pretty good job. it is basically a no pressure job. If you go to a bowl every year they are happy. If you compete to win the west, they are ecstatic, and if he would happen to win the west they would build him a statue. If he would win the B1G championship....they would give him a lifetime contract. It depends on what his career goals happen to be.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:16 am

An inclination many share ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTPG6jccjSM

Had to of seen the ending coming; and this video was uploaded back in mid Sept.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:02 am

Yep...after having the worst season of the past 40 years...missing a bowl for the first time since 1981...38 years...Willie T was on a short leash...and everyone knew it.

Interview with FSU AD:

Q. Yesterday on Twitter, Coach Taggart tweeted out a little statement saying he was obviously disappointed with the decision, but he didn't say anything about being surprised. Were there communications going on? Did he realize what he needed to accomplish and how far away he was from those and how tenuous his job was?

DAVID COBURN: Yeah, we had had several very explicit conversations.
Last edited by billybud on Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:16 am

Richt did Miami a service by retiring after the 3-35 bowl blowout to Wisconsin that the Miami AD called "simply unacceptable to all of us who love the U". Good move by Mark.

Taggart wouldn't leave the $17 million on the table.

But...for the Nole fans, Willie T's hiring was suspect to start...no nationwide search, no panel, a decision made by an outgoing AD and rhe President...Taggart's record impressed few. Beyond riding a great QB at USF for a season, he was just mediocre (losing record).

16-20 at Western Carolina, had one 7-5 season at Oregon.
Last edited by billybud on Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:26 am

Very true ...

And Cristobal is showing what can be done with the potential the players at Oregon have.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:40 am

As the FSU AD stated...it would take a couple of miracle upsets at Florida and at BC for FSU to go 6-6 and that outcome was unacceptable...so he pulled the trigger.

I think that the administration really wanted WT to have another year to pull it out...but things mounted...same mistakes, same lack of discipline from game one to his last game....he brough his buddies with him...and the WKU crew formed an inner circle and locked out others...including beloved Odell Haggins who is now interim coach.

Haggins played DT for FSU before playing in the NFL...and he has coached at FSU 26 years. Haggins was interim head coach when Jimbo left and is 2-0 as a HC.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:40 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:_______________________________________________

An inclination many share ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTPG6jccjSM

Had to of seen the ending coming; and this video was uploaded back in mid Sept.

For 17 million dollars, I doubt the guy took the time to clean out his desk.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I suspect, on nothing but speculation, that the Florida State guys already have their guy to replace Taggart. I suspect he’s a coaching currently and probably in contention for a conference title, a big bowl, the CFP, his current contract may have restrictive language on his leaving, or maybe he’s just a decent guy who’s trying to do right by his current team and finish the season...... just based on how this thing has unfolded so far and trying to make sense of the happenings to date by asking myself, ‘Why would Florida State handle this the way they have so far???”
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:00 am

It would still be messy as far as recruiting is concerned.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:22 pm

Mountainman posted...

"why would FSU handle this the way the way they have so far?"

I think we know.

From the AD...

""We looked at the pluses and minuses and really didn't see any upside to waiting. … Frankly, 6-6 isn't good enough."

That might have been the most telling comment Coburn made during the press conference. Obviously, Florida State is 4-5 right now. If the Seminoles beat Boston College on Saturday and then Alabama State the following week, they'll reach that six-win mark and a potential bowl game. But the decision-makers didn't think that would be enough progress to validate giving Taggart another year.

""I would like to have a coach in place by the time the season ends, if not before," Coburn said.

From Warchant Writer...

I'll touch on several specific problems with Taggart's tenure in responses below, but from a big-picture perspective, I think two things had become clear to FSU's top brass: A) He wasn't the right guy for the job; and B) He had made too many mistakes over the last two years to dig out of the mess he helped create.

At the end of the day, if the administration was confident that Willie Taggart could right the ship by next season, they would have saved themselves the trouble -- and money -- that will come with making this change. The fact that they were willing to write this check and accept the potential blowback tells you loud and clear that they didn't believe he was capable of doing that.

So why did FSU make the move now instead of waiting another week or until after the season? I think the biggest factor was the desire to get a head start on other schools that will be entering the market for a new head coach in the coming weeks. Even though all of the top candidates are currently coaching and probably won't be in position to take the job in the next week or two, the Seminoles at least can begin laying the groundwork and talking with agents, etc. They might even have a deal in place before some of these other schools fire their current head coaches and crowd the field.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:57 pm

I think it also lets recruits know that there is absolutely going to be a change and it allows Florida State to restructure the parts of it's football support system to get fixed. The recruiting coordinator can reach out to hs coaches and keep them in the loop on how things are going and keep the recruits still looking at Florida State in the fold. I know the structure at Ohio State coordinates with the head coach, but it independent of the coach. They are in place no matter who the head coach happens to be. That way the machine runs even if something happens to the coach.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:45 pm

Well, it’ll be interesting to watch this unfold, as now Taggart’s staff and assistants will be job hunting and players will be considering options either on their own or as guys who recruited them in the past contact them.

Undoubtedly, a bold move by the Florida State guys, but also risky, especially this day and time with the transfer portal rules.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:56 pm

FSU was going to lose recruits anyway with the crappy field play and the lack of confidence in Taggart as a coach...and yes, the transfer portal will see some leave.

Everybody had given up on Willie,,,the fans, the administration, the recruits who were decommitting....so probably more gained than lost by pulling the trigger.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:42 pm

billybud wrote:FSU was going to lose recruits anyway with the crappy field play and the lack of confidence in Taggart as a coach...and yes, the transfer portal will see some leave.

Everybody had given up on Willie,,,the fans, the administration, the recruits who were decommitting....so probably more gained than lost by pulling the trigger.

I agree with that. A knew coach can sell a new philosophy or a return to greatness philosophy based on FSU history. Taggart didn't have much to sell at this point. I think it is important for FSU to make sure they have their ducks in a row this time. I never understood the Taggart hiring, but I didn't understand the Tressel hiring at Ohio State when it happened. The important thing is for the school not to hand full reins to a coach. I think they did that with Fisher. Bobby Bowden earned his control at Florida State, the new coach should have to do the same.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:37 pm

Jim Leavitt is a good first start for FSU.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:48 pm

Spence...since this is a small board...I'll say this, but still with some trepidation....FSU had hired their first black AD...still a rarity...and that AD, before leaving for the NCAA, really pushed for FSU to hire a black HC. The President agreed that FSU should be forward thinking and provide such an opportunity.

The coaching search began and ended with Willie....Deion Sanders was a big WT supporter.

Return to “General Discussion”