Where's Greta ..?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Where's Greta ..?

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:11 pm

Maybe she can explain how the earth is going to die off from heat in the next two decades, while telling me for the the second straight year we are seeing record Low {high} Temperatures ...

Today's High, 23 degrees, has broken the record for the previous Lowest High Temp we've ever recorded {29}.

Our low for the night is set to be 9 degrees, which is also a record low temperature.
{that's 9 degrees without factoring the windchill}

So, I thought that since Miami is on a bye; ----"Hey, I've never been to the Notre Dame/Navy game in person before. And it's at 2:30, leaving me plenty of time to get home to watch some quality football." ----

Yeah, forget that!

The snow fell, stuck and accumulated. It's not particularly deep, by South Bend standards. Just enough to once over with a shovel. Though, it is not going anywhere either.

I can tolerate a little snow in the stands. But that wind in an open stadium is gonna be darn frigid.

As for the earth dying from heat ... You know what happened last winter when we saw Temperatures this Low so early?

I bet Highfly can tell you all too well.

We sat through a friggin polar vortex that had the Lowest Temperatures ever recorded this far South of the Arctic Sea.

Yo, Derek ... We could sure use some of that Georgia Sunshine up here. Would ya send a smidgen our way 8)

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Where's Greta ..?

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:23 pm

The are over the whole warming thing now. Today they just talk of extreme temperatures. When I was in high school during the 77-78 Midwest blizzard they raked of a new ice age. The weather isn’t immune to political twisting either and as long as there is money to be made, some scientist will provide the “facts”.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:33 pm

Can someone tell me what the difference is between an Arctic Bulge, a Siberian Express and a Polar Vortex???? :?

It was sunny and 60 degrees here yesterday, currently it’s 23 degrees and falling with 4 inches of snow on the ground. :shock:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:42 pm

Mountainman wrote:Can someone tell me what the difference is between an Arctic Bulge, a Siberian Express and a Polar Vortex???? :?

It was sunny and 60 degrees here yesterday, currently it’s 23 degrees and falling with 4 inches of snow on the ground. :shock:

We were 64 and it is 21. We only had a couple inches of snow though. I'm not sure the differences matter as much as what they all have in common - cold. Calling for teens tonight.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:43 am

Not a lot of sunshine yesterday and today here. It's down to 25 tonight with some high winds. Everyone is kinda shocked.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:20 am

15 on my mountain...dry...

now up to 21 at 10:20 am
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:11 pm

Last winter was brutal there is no way to forget that anytime soon. I am very glad to have moved on from my mail carrier days with a predominantly indoor job this winter. Being about 200 miles south has already made a difference, as my old home saw 4 inches of snow last weekend and we got just over 1. Still more than I wanted to see.

Yesterday was pretty nice for football. Around 50 and partly sunny over at the Mizzou/Florida game. It wasn't the most exciting game, but got some nice seats donated for their military appreciation game. My son had never been to an FBS game so it was a joy to take him. I was impressed by Florida's defensive front. They got into the backfield quick and really rattled Bryant most of the game.

Disappointed to see the highlight of Minny/Iowa. Not a complete shock, I think we were all wondering if they could follow up the success of last week with a tough road win. Oklahoma clings to their slim playoff chance but Utah/Oregon keep rolling towards that Pac 12 title game. Hard to believe there are just a couple of weeks left before conf title games.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:44 am

No doubt the Oregon/Utah game will be one of the best 2, along with the Georgia/LSU game.

I think Utah looked better yesterday than did Oregon. UCLA was on a roll. Scoring big on their opponents. Utah proved their own hype, defensively. They were able to hold the Bruins to 3 points, and winning by 46.

Oregon looked decent against Arizona. They were up 28-6 for a big portion of the game. But started struggling a bit. They were able to score again, making it 34-6, while preventing the Wildcats from putting anymore points on the board. So, defensively,they looked every bit as good as Utah. Especially the way they were able to contain Khalil Tate and JJ Taylor [RB], holding Arizona to just two field goal attempts.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:17 am

Spence wrote:The are over the whole warming thing now. Today they just talk of extreme temperatures. When I was in high school during the 77-78 Midwest blizzard they raked of a new ice age. The weather isn’t immune to political twisting either and as long as there is money to be made, some scientist will provide the “facts”.

Hey, when it was "global cooling", they were embarrassed every time there was a heat wave. When it was "global warming" they were embarrassed every time there was a cold streak. "Climate Change" is nice and safe because the weather is always changing so they can say they are always right.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:22 am

ktffan wrote:
Spence wrote:The are over the whole warming thing now. Today they just talk of extreme temperatures. When I was in high school during the 77-78 Midwest blizzard they raked of a new ice age. The weather isn’t immune to political twisting either and as long as there is money to be made, some scientist will provide the “facts”.

Hey, when it was "global cooling", they were embarrassed every time there was a heat wave. When it was "global warming" they were embarrassed every time there was a cold streak. :arrow: ---- "Climate Change" is nice and safe because the weather is always changing so they can say they are always right.

Precisely

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:35 am

ktffan wrote: :?:

By the way ...

Did you catch the Ga Tech/N.C. State game tonight ..?

The Yellow Jackets certainly don't have anything to play for; they were 2-8 coming into the game. The Wolf Pack were 4-6, and had to win this game in order to have a shot at Bowl eligibility next week.

Georgia Tech isn't going to finish out this season in a good place, with a losing record, and a meeting with the Bulldogs looming over heading into a disastrous finale'.

But, they did come away with the victory tonight; Knocking NC State out of the post season.

It was a fun game. Yellow Jackets looked like they were going to pull away after the half. Then the Pack came to life, scoring a couple of late Touchdowns with time enough to potentially get the ball back for the win, with a field goal ... even after they botched the two point conversion attempt.

They simply took too long to get into a rhythm.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:20 pm

ktffan wrote:

Hey, when it was "global cooling", they were embarrassed every time there was a heat wave. When it was "global warming" they were embarrassed every time there was a cold streak. "Climate Change" is nice and safe because the weather is always changing so they can say they are always right.

Yes, this way it fits the narrative.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:59 pm

well...our winter's have been colder here (set a record for the date in November) and warmer...set a record for heat last year.

The swings are more pronounced....

Global warning (as measured by annual mean temperatures) is factual....water temperature rise is factual, loss of arctic ice is factual....

We can argue the vagaries of such changes...the earth changes over time and tilt...we had a mini ice age that hammered Europe some centuries back...in the 19th century, orange groves were thriving in the panhandle of Florida.

FSU's underwater archeology is exploring early native habitations that are now 50 miles off shore in Appalachee Bay. A village npw under the Aucilla River is 5 miles from the shore...it was nearly 100 miles from the shore when settled 13,200 years ago.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:01 pm

billybud wrote:well...our winter's have been colder here (set a record for the date in November) and warmer...set a record for heat last year.

The swings are more pronounced....

Global warning (as measured by annual mean temperatures) is factual....water temperature rise is factual, loss of arctic ice is factual....

We can argue the vagaries of such changes...the earth changes over time and tilt...we had a mini ice age that hammered Europe some centuries back...in the 19th century, orange groves were thriving in the panhandle of Florida.

FSU's underwater archeology is exploring early native habitations that are now 50 miles off shore in Appalachee Bay. A village npw under the Aucilla River is 5 miles from the shore...it was nearly 100 miles from the shore when settled 13,200 years ago.

I don't argue that the global temperature has been rising. I would argue that it is man made or even if it is, that man can fix it. The earth has always seemed to fix itself. Whether that benefits man or will be to our detriment is yet to be seen.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:53 pm

I would argue that the percentage of carbon dioxide has been measurable over periods of time...atmosphere sampling, ice core sampling, etc.

The preindustrial age average of 280 ppm has now risen to 400 ppm...it was measured at 318 ppm in 1958.

https://e360.yale.edu/features/how-the- ... it-matters

It is true that volcanism and other factors raised the CO2 level several million years back and that the earth has naturally occurring events that raise temperature and CO2 levels...

But, it is also fact that in 2016 and beyond we have reached CO2 levels not seen in two million years.

CO2 gain in the atmosphere can have many causes...some natural, some man caused...the use of fossil carbon based fuels, changes in land use, loss of vegetation, volcanic activity...and the cyclic flow of CO2 from atmosphere to ocean, etc. is a complicated topic.

Whether man is causing the rises in temperature and CO2 content could be argued for years..but ultimately it is the rise that is concerning not necessarily what caused it...except for use in remedies.

The other truth is, that practically no matter what human actions are taken today, we will see rising average mean temperatures for the next century...

Return to “General Discussion”