Playoff Committee's Week 12 Poll

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Playoff Committee's Week 12 Poll

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:21 pm

That is so true.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:07 am

Confession...

When you are my age...you may have buried your parents, a sibling....and many friends and former work aquaintances have passed.

It seems like that with every new one passing, it is like a piece of my life slipping away....I am still pondering how losing Donovan on this board has left me grieving...a guy who was just an anonymous poster.

I do kind of drag myself to open the board and check in...but my enthusiasm for the repartee has dampened.

Life seems to have gone into warp drive and the stars flashing by are just streaks of light....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:50 pm

I agree. I have buried both parents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Lots more friends then a guy hanging out at almost 60 should have. My siblings and about seven cousins are all that is left of both sides of my parents family. What once seem to be a really big group of people has dwindled. It is like riding a train and watching the lights flash by waiting to get to the end. My kids are just starting to get it. The oldest is finishing grad school, and my 2nd is graduating high school this year. She just realized at her district all star game that she was probably playing her last soccer game. It all just moves to fast.

Losing Donovan was tough on every one. When the board got slow, Donovan was always there trying to revive the conversation. Although, I never met him personally, I really looked forward to his thoughts and private messages on what ever topic he decided to relate that day. I think every one will remember him fondly. And if there is a way for him to keep checking this board- I bet you that he still is checking it.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:36 pm

Clemson Vs Oklahoma as CFP teams...

1...Oklahoma has been behind by 25 points in two of last three games.

2...Clemson has out scored the opponent 225-34 in the last four games. While scoring 7 or less in the 4th quarters...ouch.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:40 pm

Yeah, they are both in the conversation for the top 4. Clemson's position and Oklahoma's position isn't really close.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:32 pm

Eyeball test or resume...... pick your poison.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:50 pm

Mountainman wrote:Eyeball test or resume...... pick your poison.

I'm not sure either tells you much if you are trying to compare teams with other conferences and different regions who don't have many common opponents. I have watched Ohio State play all year. They look good. I can't really pick them apart right now - and I always try to pick them apart. Is it because they are really, really good as the "eye test" suggests? Is it because the schedule has been light? Cincinnati is our best ooc opponent. Wisconsin hasn't been overly impressive this year. This week could tell us something if Ohio State struggles against the nits, but they haven't looked like world beaters the last couple weeks either. The game with the skunk bears is usually never that helpful when it comes to evaluating either team. If Ohio State keeps winning we likely won't know until the playoffs if they are for real or pretenders. That is the case with a lot of top teams this year.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:16 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Eyeball test or resume...... pick your poison.

I'm not sure either tells you much if you are trying to compare teams with other conferences and different regions who don't have many common opponents. I have watched Ohio State play all year. They look good. I can't really pick them apart right now - and I always try to pick them apart. Is it because they are really, really good as the "eye test" suggests? Is it because the schedule has been light? Cincinnati is our best ooc opponent. Wisconsin hasn't been overly impressive this year. This week could tell us something if Ohio State struggles against the nits, but they haven't looked like world beaters the last couple weeks either. The game with the skunk bears is usually never that helpful when it comes to evaluating either team. If Ohio State keeps winning we likely won't know until the playoffs if they are for real or pretenders. That is the case with a lot of top teams this year.

The Buckeyes are the ‘best’ team I’ve watched this season...... offense, defense, and special teams. They’ve got it all. 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:30 pm

It looks like it. We will see. It is only nit picking, but I have seen them have a little trouble with the read option and against Qb's who don'r run much running.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:25 am

Spence wrote:It looks like it. We will see. It is only nit picking, but I have seen them have a little trouble with the read option and against Qb's who don'r run much running.

Yep, the Buckeyes look the part..... solid in all three. Just from what I’ve seen, Utah has a really good defense and IMHO the best team out west, Oregon I’ve seen the least so I really can’t say but they lose to Auburn, blowout Southern Cal and squeak by Washington State, Washington and Cal. LSU really good offense with a magician at QB, but their defense gives up a bunch of points. Alabama has defensive issues and losing Tua has to impact their offense. Georgia is rock solid on defense, but has shown they can score enough on the offensive side to keep up. Oklahoma can flat out score with great ball control provided they don’t turn it over, but defensively they’re hit or miss, and they miss as much as they hit. And then there’s Clemson, I haven’t seen them play much or play a ‘good’ team, good QB, but some say their offensive line is suspect and if that’s true it doesn’t matter how good their QB is...... VaTech may play the Tigers in the Conference Title Game, that’ll tell me a more, Bud Foster has that bunch getting after it.

We’ll see..... :D

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:54 pm

Clemson is in the Top 10 in the the NCAA stat...Rushing Offense. Their RB is #4 nationally in yards gained. And in the stat, Completion Percentage, is a hair better than Georgia (which may not be worth bragging about).

They'd be scary with a better offensive line, I reckon.

It is the Clemson defense that is winning games....#1 nationally in Defense..First Downs Allowed. #5 in Third Down Conversion Defense

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:46 pm

Yep, Clemson looks good, but that’s the issue, all we’ve got to go on is the eyeball test. Even though they sure look good to me.

.......back to the Buckeyes, tell me, amongst the contenders, just who has a tougher road to the CFP Playoff than Ohio State. Penn State, Michigan and a possibly Conference Title Game, ain’t no easy chore. That’ll show what they’re made of well beyond the eyeball test. :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:39 pm

billybud wrote:Clemson is in the Top 10 in the the NCAA stat...Rushing Offense. Their RB is #4 nationally in yards gained. And in the stat, Completion Percentage, is a hair better than Georgia (which may not be worth bragging about).

They'd be scary with a better offensive line, I reckon.

It is the Clemson defense that is winning games....#1 nationally in Defense..First Downs Allowed. #5 in Third Down Conversion Defense

Not taking anything away from the Clemson offense, but Clemson's defense seems to be the catalyst that makes them go. Clemson reminds me of the old Florida State teams under Bobby B. and Mickey Andrews. Venables is the best Def coordinator in cfb right now in my opinion.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:58 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:It looks like it. We will see. It is only nit picking, but I have seen them have a little trouble with the read option and against Qb's who don'r run much running.

Yep, the Buckeyes look the part..... solid in all three. Just from what I’ve seen, Utah has a really good defense and IMHO the best team out west, Oregon I’ve seen the least so I really can’t say but they lose to Auburn, blowout Southern Cal and squeak by Washington State, Washington and Cal. LSU really good offense with a magician at QB, but their defense gives up a bunch of points. Alabama has defensive issues and losing Tua has to impact their offense. Georgia is rock solid on defense, but has shown they can score enough on the offensive side to keep up. Oklahoma can flat out score with great ball control provided they don’t turn it over, but defensively they’re hit or miss, and they miss as much as they hit. And then there’s Clemson, I haven’t seen them play much or play a ‘good’ team, good QB, but some say their offensive line is suspect and if that’s true it doesn’t matter how good their QB is...... VaTech may play the Tigers in the Conference Title Game, that’ll tell me a more, Bud Foster has that bunch getting after it.

We’ll see..... :D

Bud Foster and Brent Venables will be fun to watch. Venables has better horses. It will be interesting to see what Foster does to counter them and try to keep field position and not let Clemson flip the field on them.
I think Oregon is pretty good. I think that Utah will beat them - at least today. I may change my mind. LSU is the most explosive team in the SEC. Defensively they have been getable. Georgia has a workman like offense and an elite defense. I still like LSU in that game - right now. Oklahoma is going to win the B12. They probably are done there. They probably should be. Ohio State is the team i have seen the most and the one that I feel like I know the least about it terms of their strength. They look good. My problem is so far they look too good. College football teams have warts. All of them. I can't find the warts on this one. Some of the teams they play seem to be decent teams. They seem to compete within their schedule - except for getting beat badly by Ohio State. When teams look too good to be true, my natural reaction is that they are too good to be true. The Buckeyes will play some pretty good competition the rest of the season. 3 games against likely top 15 teams. If they make it through those games and still look as good as they have all year, I guess I will have to believe it, but as a longtime fan of the team, I will still be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:01 pm

.....Alabama and LSU are the two best teams in the SEC....

Either one could have won game one...and game two would be a pick em.

....Ohio State is always a mystery to me...last year, they went through their schedule...except for being blown out by below .500 Purdue...a 29 point loss. Snuck by below .500 Maryland 52-51.

Year before that, they go through their schedule...except for being blown out by 30 points by Iowa.

Year before that...Clemson blows out the Buckeyes 31-0.

Ohio State is clearly one of the best teams...but I always expect a slip.

Return to “General Discussion”