Saban Faces Criticism......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Saban Faces Criticism......

Postby Mountainman » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:50 am

.......for decision to let Tua finish out the half.

https://larrybrownsports.com/college-fo ... loa/524075
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Saban Faces Criticism......

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:09 pm

Sure...mainly click bait. Saban and Tua are major figures...if it was a player under Matt Wells or Tom Allen...no criticism...no clicks.

I read what Urban and Saban had to say about it.

It was Tua's last series of the game/half and it was to practice two minute drill...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:34 pm

Anytime you you have a player in a game there is a chance he could get hurt. This sucks for the kid and it is easy in hindsight to say he shouldn’t have been in the game, but I think Saban has earn the benefit of the doubt here. He doesn’t have a history of putting players in questionable positions. Whether it was live 2 minute drill practice (which it likely was) or that he thought they needed more points to impress the committee (which is also reasonable given how the committee reacts) it is his team to coach and his players to coach. If when Tua was in and the guy from the link said “ I think it is a mistake for Tua to be in, I guess he has a right to express that after the fact. My guess is that if he was watching the game he was ok with it until the player got hurt, then formed is opinion based on what happened after the fact. Coaches make decisions in the moment. They don’t have the benefit of hindsight.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:29 pm

Coaches have been second-guessed after the fact since football was played with a pig’s bladder.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:40 pm

Mountainman wrote:Coaches have been second-guessed after the fact since football was played with a pig’s bladder.

Yep.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:20 am

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:32 pm

Glad to hear his surgery went well. You never want to see a player get a serious injury.

Return to “General Discussion”