The Media and what they see

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Media and what they see

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:56 pm

I understand your point an from a program standpoint I agree with it. If you want the benefit of the doubt you have to earn your way to the table. I get that completely and agree. The problem I see is when we start talking about a true national championship. This "true" national championship says they don't look at past history. They only look at this one season. Every other college sport, every team has a clear path to their championship. It may not be the most realistic path, but it is a clear path. College football says if you aren't a historical power, you are probably not getting in. Five whole conferences have no chance of cracking the top four no matter what they do. Their best showing is in a mean nothing New Year's 6 bowl. A huge deal for them. Penn State doesn't want to be in their NY's 6 bowl. They don't care. Even a team like say Utah or Baylor has only a slim chance to crack it. If Oklahoma hadn't won the B12 would Baylor have been there, would it be Oregon (who played one of the better OOC schedules) make it, or maybe Wisconsin? Any sport any of us have ever played has had a clear path to a championship, unless you played FBS college football. I've been a high school and junior high coach for a long time. Most of my adult life I have worked with kids in sports and I have never started a season where I have no path to be win at the highest level. A state championship in my case. It is a hard path for a smallish school like we are in. We often get lumped in with the private schools in the state because of our size which makes the path to the state nearly impossible. In over 30 years of coaching I have taken teams to the state 3 times finishing as high as 3rd one year. I have 3 district championships and 16 sectional championships. Our path to the state is hard. But there is a path - every single year. No one gives us any special allowances, we complete every year with the same goal, to win it all. We may not ever make it. But there is a path. It is the reason we put in the work. For the chance to compete at the highest possible level we can achieve.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:46 pm

There is not another college sport like football...with only 12 regular season games....

As I have posted before, the regular season is part of the play off...Alabama-LSU, Alabama-Auburn, Georgia-Florida, Ohio State-Penn State, etc., etc.

You will never, not ever, have a 130 team league purporting that all play for the same championship that isn't just pablum for the masses...as basketball is.

The huge bell curve berween LSU and UMass or Liberty guarantees that 65 teams will be on the back side of the power curve and 30 or so in the top quartile....that is the rule of distributions.

It is, in my opinion, foolish to pretend that things are other than they are...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:00 pm

Since 2000, Ohio State is 42-0 against the MAC, CUSA, MWC, Sunbelt, and WAC (actually against all of their G5 opponents_)

....yet we want to pretend that they all play for the same national championship ?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:01 pm

It seems to me if there is not a path to a championship for all teams in a sports league then their championship is a participation trophy for the most popular kid on the block.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:03 pm

billybud wrote:Since 2000, Ohio State is 42-0 against the MAC, CUSA, MWC, Sunbelt, and WAC (actually against all of their G5 opponents_)

....yet we want to pretend that they all play for the same national championship ?

Then why do we put them in the same league? Lots of teams in basketball don’t have a legitimate shot to win the national championship, but they have a clear path should they be good enough one year.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:31 pm

There is no clear path in basketball...if there was, one team seeded #9 -#16 would have played in the championshop game...Yes..you can buy into an illusion if you need to. Reality is what reality is..no Cinderella fairy tale.

There is a clear path for me to be the first 73 year old MLB pitcher to pitch a perfect game...but, not really....reality bites.

Folks are being terribly silly if they think that LSU and UMass are really in the same league. Or that I can rent a set of clubs and take on Tiger head to head.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:02 am

Speaking of basketball, I’ve been watching some basketball games involving Big XII teams just to get a feel for what the Mountaineers maybe be up against this season. Last night I saw a game between Louisville and Texas Tech played in some tournament up in New York.

Turns out Louisville is ranked, by those who rank, as the #1 team in the nation, while Texas Tech is no where to be found in the top 36 (that’s as far as the ranking I looked at went).

Final Score: Louisville - 57 Texas Tech - 70

There’s that reality again.... CHOMP!!!!
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:06 am

billybud wrote:There is no clear path in basketball...if there was, one team seeded #9 -#16 would have played in the championshop game...Yes..you can buy into an illusion if you need to. Reality is what reality is..no Cinderella fairy tale.

There is a clear path for me to be the first 73 year old MLB pitcher to pitch a perfect game...but, not really....reality bites.

Folks are being terribly silly if they think that LSU and UMass are really in the same league. Or that I can rent a set of clubs and take on Tiger head to head.

There is a clear path. If they win all their games they win the National championship. I never said they should be given special treatment. Their seed is their seed, but there is a clear cut and dried path to the championship. Football doesn’t offer that opportunity. If they did, that would be fair IMO. The opportunity doesn’t have to be easy. It just has to be there.
And if your 73 year old arm could throw 90 mph over the plate and controll a breaking ball, someone would sign you. You path ends when your talent takes you to the end of the line.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:11 am

Mountainman wrote:Speaking of basketball, I’ve been watching some basketball games involving Big XII teams just to get a feel for what the Mountaineers maybe be up against this season. Last night I saw a game between Louisville and Texas Tech played in some tournament up in New York.

Turns out Louisville is ranked, by those who rank, as the #1 team in the nation, while Texas Tech is no where to be found in the top 36 (that’s as far as the ranking I looked at went).

Final Score: Louisville - 57 Texas Tech - 70

There’s that reality again.... CHOMP!!!!

It is a good thing basketball offers and opportunity for a team to prove themselves. If they end up not making it, that is on them.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:30 am

In the meantime, while this CFP phase of attempts at eradication of the Mythical National Champion evolves to the next iteration, I would hope the decision makers, all 13 members, would share their decision and how they arrived at their choices and decision making processes as opposed to running out a spokesman to simply say, “It was close.”.

Currently, the questions I’m left with are how’s and why’s and would much rather watch and listen to them instead of the ESPN talking-heads babbling on and on and on during the weekly announcements.

Hell, the PAC12 Commissioner came out yesterday claiming the CFP has hurt, and continues to hurt, the conference...... and that’s not a good thing for College Football.

This darn thing is driving College Football and its fans apart instead of bring us together. :roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:15 pm

Mountainman wrote:In the meantime, while this CFP phase of attempts at eradication of the Mythical National Champion evolves to the next iteration, I would hope the decision makers, all 13 members, would share their decision and how they arrived at their choices and decision making processes as opposed to running out a spokesman to simply say, “It was close.”.

Currently, the questions I’m left with are how’s and why’s and would much rather watch and listen to them instead of the ESPN talking-heads babbling on and on and on during the weekly announcements.

Hell, the PAC12 Commissioner came out yesterday claiming the CFP has hurt, and continues to hurt, the conference...... and that’s not a good thing for College Football.

This darn thing is driving College Football and its fans apart instead of bring us together. :roll:

I think that until/if they ever decide to make all teams a part of the process that it will continue to hurt the sport overall. When over 100 teams in a league have absolutely no path to the championship it isn't a league. It is a beauty pageant for the popular kids.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:28 am

I read today or yesterday that they are actively looking at an 8 spot playoff.

As soon as Bama didn't make the playoffs, they wanted to move the goal posts.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:27 am

They've been talking expansion for a while now ...

I'm pretty sure I included this link in another thread; Here in this video, Joel Klatt talks about the playoff expanding to 8 teams saying that it is inevitable, and that there is already a model in place: [the whole conversation is worth the watch, but to skip to the restructuring of the playoff, go to 10:52]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pf_-IWgB6U

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:23 am

I see no good reason to go to eight if they are not removing the subjectivity. You still have the same 20-30 team pool as the only teams allowed to play.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:15 pm

Getting the ‘powers that be’ to give-up their ‘power to decide, choose and dictate’ is a centuries old issue....... they just don’t want to give it up.

The notion of an 8 team playoff would be a step in the right direction, but all things considered it’s incomplete. 8)

I’ve given this some thought and, at this point, I suspect the ‘powers that be’ are the university presidents. They fit the profile of, “Who has the power, an incessable appetite for money, and wants everyone to get a trophy?”........ thus we have more bowl games than one can fathom serving as the trophies along with a subjective process of crowning a National Champion that generates gobs of money.

......and btw, the presidents, IMHO, couldn’t care less about all the bellyaching, to them it’s just something they have to put up with once a year, and would gladly cave to whatever notion of how to decide a national champion someone comes up with as long as it’s within reason and pays additional gobs of money. :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”