The Media and what they see

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: The Media and what they see

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:05 am

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:46 pm

Mountainman wrote:Well, I’ll be doggone...... :lol:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... no-1-spot/

Like I said. As soon as it goes one way the whores jump on someone else and of course Buckeye nation will bite.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:48 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Well, I’ll be doggone...... :lol:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... no-1-spot/

Like I said. As soon as it goes one way the whores jump on someone else and of course Buckeye nation will bite.

As the Buckeye Nation should....... I believe a playoff to determine a National Champion is a good thing for all, the sport, the schools, the teams and the fans. My issues are with the number of teams participating and the selection process.

The CFP process is nothing but a continuation of the arbitrary and subjective selection process that has been used for decades........ there’s an old saying here in the hills and hollers, “You can put lipstick, a dress and a hat on a pig, but it’s still just a pig.” :?
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:04 pm

Click bait......the National Champ will have to win it on the field...If OSU can't beat Clemson...WTF? Why worry about LSU?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:06 pm

I agree with you. I think a 4 team playoff would be fine if there was a objective way to determine the 4. I just don't think there is an objective way to determine who should be in. I think the only fair thing would be to make it a tournament of champions. I acknowledge up front that that isn't likely to give the four or eight or ten best teams. if you wanted to make it a little more fair, you could guarantee every power 5 conference champ a sport and you could make the group of 5 have a short play in tournament and take the top three to get your eight. This is the only doable way to fairly give every FBS team a clear path to the playoff and to a national championship.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:07 pm

billybud wrote:Click bait......the National Champ will have to win it on the field...If OSU can't beat Clemson...WTF? Why worry about LSU?

I agree. You have to win it on the field. Nothing else should matter.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:57 pm

billybud wrote:Click bait......the National Champ will have to win it on the field...If OSU can't beat Clemson...WTF? Why worry about LSU?

Exactly the way it should be...... but worrying about LSU is not the issue, instead the worry is just how in the hell did LSU jump Ohio State after the Buckeyes beat consecutively 3 of the best teams in the nation, Penn State, Michigan and Wisconsin, by beating a proven to be an overrated Georgia team. :roll:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:13 pm

Mountainman wrote:

Exactly the way it should be...... but worrying about LSU is not the issue, instead the worry is just how in the hell did LSU jump Ohio State after the Buckeyes beat consecutively 3 of the best teams in the nation, Penn State, Michigan and Wisconsin, by beating a proven to be an overrated Georgia team. :roll:

In the end, I think you could make an argument for any of the top 3 to be one. There isn't enough OOC strength to prove anything and we won't likely know who is as good as advertised and who isn't until they play. Who knows, the Sooners may just win their first ever playoff game. Who knows.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:21 pm

Mountainman wrote:

Well...LSU is, according to Sagarin, 6-0 against his top 30 while OSU is 4-0. LSU beat Sagarin's currenrt # 4 and #5 and #12 Florida....

Georgia is over rated in your opinion...but me? It is Penn State who is over rated... Michigan murdered them by 35 points.

Georgia did lose to S. Carolina in overtime....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:26 pm

But...in your defense, the assey composite has Ohio State #1 and LSU #2...but in the end, it doesn't mean much...got to win on the field...but, as I posted, I'd rather play Oklahoma then Clemson to start off. So I can see why fans want #1 vs #2...

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:42 pm

billybud wrote:But...in your defense, the assey composite has Ohio State #1 and LSU #2...but in the end, it doesn't mean much...got to win on the field...but, as I posted, I'd rather play Oklahoma then Clemson to start off. So I can see why fans want #1 vs #2...

I think is would be better to play Oklahoma than Clemson too. If Ohio State gets by Clemson it will be a physically taxing game. More so, I believe than playing Oklahoma. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to beat Oklahoma and lose in the championship game. If Ohio State can get past Clemson, then I like their odds to win the whole thing. Beating Clemson would make it more likely for me to pony up for a ticket to New Orleans. It would also be cool to play against Joe Burrow. Many Buckeyes will be rooting for him as far as he can go unless he plays us. Then we will root for him to have a good game in losing.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:31 pm

billybud wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

Well...LSU is, according to Sagarin, 6-0 against his top 30 while OSU is 4-0. LSU beat Sagarin's currenrt # 4 and #5 and #12 Florida....

Georgia is over rated in your opinion...but me? It is Penn State who is over rated... Michigan murdered them by 35 points.

Georgia did lose to S. Carolina in overtime....

Let’s stay on topic and on point, I’m talking about, and have been in this topic, the College Football Playoff Committee’s Rankings a.k.a. CFP Committee’s Rankings.

Sagarin, AP, Coaches or any other rankings do not have a CFP vote.

During ESPN’s CFP Final Ranking Show on Sunday Reece Davis asked the CFP Chairman about flipping OSU and LSU and he dodged the question by saying, ‘It was really close’. Davis pressed him on his response and he replied, ‘We look at a lot of things, and it was very close’. I said to myself, ‘He didn’t answer the question..... why didn’t he answer the question?’ I’ll never know why and this guy had a chance to tell us how that happened, so either he didn’t know or he didn’t want the ESPN audience to know or he knew and didn’t want the audience to know. And that’s one example of one of many reasons to realize it’s past time to move on from groups of people and their computer models making selection decisions.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:16 am

billybud wrote:But...in your defense, the assey composite has Ohio State #1 and LSU #2...but in the end, it doesn't mean much...got to win on the field...but, as I posted, I'd rather play Oklahoma then Clemson to start off. So I can see why fans want #1 vs #2...

Well, thanks for the defense, but I don’t give a hoot about ‘asset composite’ has to say. Good for them, but they just don’t matter, the opponents just don’t matter, the CFP Committee matters...... and I’d like to know just how in the hell they decided to flip Ohio State and LSU.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:31 am

I think it had to do with venue. If Ohio State was #1 and was going to play Oklahoma they would have picked Atlanta. That would have put Clemson and LSU in Glenville. It would probably be fairly hard ticket to sell. Ohio State can fill Glenville by themselves. I think it is as simple as that.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:44 am

Spence wrote:I think it had to do with venue. If Ohio State was #1 and was going to play Oklahoma they would have picked Atlanta. That would have put Clemson and LSU in Glenville. It would probably be fairly hard ticket to sell. Ohio State can fill Glenville by themselves. I think it is as simple as that.

Ha,ha,ha.....That wouldn’t surprise me one bit, I dodge the question too if that was the deciding factor in the ‘lots of things’ I had to consider. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”