The Media and what they see

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: The Media and what they see

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:37 pm

The article that Mountainman posted lauds thr NFL's "diversity"...their spread the wealth in the Division Championships...

How does that happen? How do more teams build competitive teams?

A kind of Robin Hood action....the "poor" teams get the draft pick ahead of the "rich" teams... I do not see that for college ball.

And... there is less of a difference between the players on 32 NFL teams than on 130 college teams. It is the top players, the great QB, the great WR or DT, that can make a difference...and draft adjustments allow for the teams at the back to grab some of those.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:43 pm

So the Browns go 0-16...and they get Mayfield as #1 draft chpice. This year, so far, they are 6-7....and it is the Bengals who are 1-12 and will get a high draft.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:19 pm

billybud wrote:The article that Mountainman posted lauds thr NFL's "diversity"...their spread the wealth in the Division Championships...

How does that happen? How do more teams build competitive teams?

A kind of Robin Hood action....the "poor" teams get the draft pick ahead of the "rich" teams... I do not see that for college ball.

And... there is less of a difference between the players on 32 NFL teams than on 130 college teams. It is the top players, the great QB, the great WR or DT, that can make a difference...and draft adjustments allow for the teams at the back to grab some of those.

I don’t recall that article advocating implementing a draft of players into college football, but I’ll read it again just to check.

In any event, a system that provided an avenue for all 130 teams to EARN a spot in the National Title Playoff may indeed spread the elite talent to more teams, but it is interesting that a process already implemented and working in college football is, at least in part, doing that when one considers that LSU, Ohio State and Oklahoma, who are 3 of the 4 teams in this years CFP Playoff for the National Title, all have a transfer starting at quarterback.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:20 pm

They don't really recommend anything...just whine that college should be like the NFL....and you know what? College ball can not...it is a different animal for the reasons that I illustrated..

The article was a waste of time...more yak for the clicks.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:34 pm

I don’t have any real problem with LSU being number 1 this year or Clemson either for that matter. As far as 1,2 or 3 are concerned it really doesn’t matter that much. One team will play the other two and all three have a chance to prove they are good enough to win. My problem with this system is the same one that I had before this system was put into place. If you aren’t a brand, you won’t make it. Does Baylor make it if they lose to Oklahoma? Or does Georgia or Wisconsin go? They can fabricate an scenario that they can back up with the rankings to prove them true. If Wisconsin beats Ohio State, they can move Wisconsin to 3 or4 and Justify Ohio State getting in by only losing to the Number 3 or 4 team. It is a self fulfilling prophecy.
I’m not suggesting the committee is cheating or not being honest in their rankings. I think they are being honest, but they are people who listen to the endless rants of the talking heads. The same people who affect our thoughts on things. That is why, I don’t believe that this system is any better at picking the best teams as the computers, coaches, or media. Which is why I think that the NCAA should set up a tournament of champions and forget about it. It may not produce the best team every year, but it will be completely objective and provide a clear path to the end. That to me should be the end game. To make a clear path to the championship for every team if they take care of their business. If you don’t take care of your business or the best team in cfb happens to be in your conference, better luck next year.
Years ago when the B10 only allowed 1 team to go to the bowls that is how it worked for us. Didn’t take care of business? Better luck next year.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:31 am

billybud wrote:They don't really recommend anything...just whine that college should be like the NFL....and you know what? College ball can not...it is a different animal for the reasons that I illustrated..

The article was a waste of time...more yak for the clicks.

.......good for you, a variety of points of view and differing opinions from a variety of people with various perspectives is a good thing.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:20 pm

I think looking at college football FBS as a whole instead of splitting it up can change the way you look at it. Donovan changed my view on this. I used to think win and you are in. Winning takes care of everything. If you are a fan of one of the blue blood programs, as I am, that is how it works. I could be petty and talk about how Ohio State was slighted and should have been #1 and I could make an argument. An argument could be made for Clemson and LSU just as easy and just as valid. It doesn't matter for those teams. They control their own destiny. No matter what position they play from it is a better position than 126 other teams. But from the perspective of a group of 5 or even a lower tier power 5 team, they don't really have the same way in. Ohio State, LSU, and Clemson have all basically made it in without beating a top 15 team out of conference. So if one of those conferences aren't as good as is thought, they basically have gotten in on brand. If any group of 5 team gets in without at least one good OOC win, it isn't happening. If a lower tier power 5 team runs table without a good OOC win - say Virginia runs instead of Clemson. They say the conference is down - no Miami, Florida State, or Clemson. They can't be good enough to make it in. They are left out as long as they can find 5 branded schools that qualify (wins all games or loses 1) That is how it works. We can tell them " play a better schedule", "don't schedule an FCS team", or what ever good excuse applies for the situation. It doesn't matter, they aren't getting in anyway. The branded schools are usually the best teams. There is a reason they are branded, but that shouldn't be the reason no one else is allowed in the game. I can name 15-18 schools out of 130 and predict the next 20 national champs. It has always been this way. The system hasn't changed at all, just the method.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:39 pm

OK Spence...how about a participation award?

Put the names of the five best schools from the "non brands "in a hat, pick one out, and let them have a play in game with the CFP #4.....they then do "have a chance".

It is all pereception anyway....Folks think that March Madness is inclusive. That is the perception. Like I do actually have a chance to win the lottery by buying a ticket.

There are 16 seeds in the basketball tourney, yet half of the tournament is just for show, they have no chance to win. None. Based on history.

...no 9-16 seed has ever made the championship game...zero percent chance to win. The actual percentage of seeds #1-#3 winning the national championship has been 86.5% of the championships.

If you are seeded #4-8...historically you have a 2.9% chance to win the NC...but it's a chance...unlike a seed #9-16..

Yet we all believe.

We believe that a Cinderella can win.

That's the American optimism....it just does not happen.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:49 pm

If I just spread my wings
I can fly
I can fly, I can fly
If I just spread my wings

That's us...Americans. We believe. We believe that we can carry moon beams home in a jar, be better off than we are...That all are created equal.

It is part of us....and colors our perception.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:42 pm

billybud wrote:OK Spence...how about a participation award?

Put the names of the five best schools from the "non brands "in a hat, pick one out, and let them have a play in game with the CFP #4.....they then do "have a chance".

It is all pereception anyway....Folks think that March Madness is inclusive. That is the perception. Like I do actually have a chance to win the lottery by buying a ticket.

There are 16 seeds in the basketball tourney, yet half of the tournament is just for show, they have no chance to win. None. Based on history.

...no 9-16 seed has ever made the championship game...zero percent chance to win. The actual percentage of seeds #1-#3 winning the national championship has been 86.5% of the championships.

If you are seeded #4-8...historically you have a 2.9% chance to win the NC...but it's a chance...unlike a seed #9-16..

Yet we all believe.

We believe that a Cinderella can win.

That's the American optimism....it just does not happen.

I don't believe in a participation award. I don't believe it has to be easy. In the basketball tournament I disagree they have zero chance. Their chance isn't good, but they have a clear path. That should be the expectation. That there be a clear path. What you do with your chance is what you do with it. If Tiger Woods and I play 18 holes together he has a 99.999999999998% chance of beating me, but I have a clear path to beat him. If I get the ball in the hole in less strokes than him, I beat him. If I don't it is on me. That path, isn't afforded to most teams in FBS. It isn't the fact that those 20 teams win every year. It is that the fact that the rest don't have a path. I'm not saying that they should be given a step up or they should do something less than other teams to make it. I don't believe in participation trophies. I believe before every game is played every team should have a clear path. What they do with their path doesn't have to be handicapped. They should just have that path.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:46 pm

I have a somewhat different view of America..... America is a ‘land of hope, dreams and opportunity where reality smacks you right in the face’, a place where you have to EARN It, and IMHO that’s a very good thing.

Don’t suppress hopes and dreams, provide an opportunity to EARN it, and let reality decide.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:19 pm

Mountainman wrote:I have a somewhat different view of America..... America is a ‘land of hope, dreams and opportunity where reality smacks you right in the face’, a place where you have to EARN It, and IMHO that’s a very good thing.

Don’t suppress hopes and dreams, provide an opportunity to EARN it, and let reality decide.

I agree with that. The path to any finish line isn't going to be even because no situation is even. But as long as there is a path, even if you have to jump more hoops to get there, you can get there. The way college football works doesn't provide a clear path. That is my issue with the process.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:16 pm

Yeah..Spence.

If I pitched against the Yankees, I'd have a chance to pitch a perfect game...your definition of " a chance" is too broad for me.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:33 pm

billybud wrote:Yeah..Spence.

If I pitched against the Yankees, I'd have a chance to pitch a perfect game...your definition of " a chance" is too broad for me.

You probably wouldn't get the chance to hit the mound for the Yankee's, but you had a path to get there. Your ability and ambitions were the only things holding you back. We know based on purely dollars that a group of 5 can't compete annually with a power 5 school. But if one year a group of 5 would happen to get a team with a chance to compete with the big boys, they should have a path. That is all I'm saying. Not any special provisions made. Just a path.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:39 pm

My wife and I have a pair of flying pigs as a garden ornament here in North Carolina...a private joke.

We both came from really sad backgrounds (I won't bore you)...in fact, the first time that I spent a night under the same roof with my brother was three years ago...we were split up and raised separately...I only got to know him after I was 62.

Mrs. Billy was a bird of a feather....we both bore some scars and there was something there between us from the start.. When my wife and I were young we had dreams...I promised her that we would someday have a mountain house...she laughed and said "when pigs fly".

A dream is just a wish unless you plan and work towards the dream.

Now we sit on the porch and point out our flying pigs wind vane to friends...and wink at each other.

I remember FSU's and Miami"s dreams in my school days...they seemed pretty far fetched. You can't demand your way in...you earn it...over decades.

A program earns it...Just like we do in life...

And, LOL, our catch phrase to the question "how are you guys?"

"Living the dream".

Return to “General Discussion”