The Media and what they see

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Media and what they see

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:57 am

I don’t know the real reason. It would be foolish to believe money didn’t play a part. It isn’t like LSU isn’t deserving. If I were being honest and trying to pick between them, except for being a Buckeye fan, I can make the same arguments for both teams. Clemson is different. They beat the crap out of everyone they played. Because their schedule was bad you about have to look at last year and that proves they are good. I don’t know how you ignore that.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:51 am

Mountainman wrote:
billybud wrote:But...in your defense, the assey composite has Ohio State #1 and LSU #2...but in the end, it doesn't mean much...got to win on the field...but, as I posted, I'd rather play Oklahoma then Clemson to start off. So I can see why fans want #1 vs #2...

Well, thanks for the defense, but I don’t give a hoot about ‘asset composite’ has to say. Good for them, but they just don’t matter, the opponents just don’t matter, the CFP Committee matters...... and I’d like to know just how in the hell they decided to flip Ohio State and LSU.

No..Mountainman...what you cry about is that THEY don't agree with YOU...

Just like your "Georgia is over rated" while espousing Penn State as not...it is YOUR opinion.

I think "it was close" is a diplomatic answer...for what the Committee had to do...consider many points and come up with a #1....there was probably a lot of back and forth with proponents of both LSU and Ohio State.

You know my attitude...It doesn't matter. Win on the field.

Clemson and Ohio State are almost a pick 'em in Vegas (Clemson favored by 2).

LSU is favored by 13 over Oklahoma.

The top 3 programs are very close...Oklahoma, a little further back.

BY the by...New Year's Day

................Georgia is favored by 8 1/2 over Baylor.
................Auburn by 8 over Minnesota
................Alabama by 7 over Michigan
................Wisconsin by 2 1/2 over Oregon
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:04 am

And one might ask the Committee..."Why did Ohio State leap LSU two weeks back?" What is the reasoning?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:38 am

billybud wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
billybud wrote:But...in your defense, the assey composite has Ohio State #1 and LSU #2...but in the end, it doesn't mean much...got to win on the field...but, as I posted, I'd rather play Oklahoma then Clemson to start off. So I can see why fans want #1 vs #2...

Well, thanks for the defense, but I don’t give a hoot about ‘asset composite’ has to say. Good for them, but they just don’t matter, the opponents just don’t matter, the CFP Committee matters...... and I’d like to know just how in the hell they decided to flip Ohio State and LSU.

No..Mountainman...what you cry about is that THEY don't agree with YOU...

Just like your "Georgia is over rated" while espousing Penn State as not...it is YOUR opinion.

I think "it was close" is a diplomatic answer...for what the Committee had to do...consider many points and come up with a #1....there was probably a lot of back and forth with proponents of both LSU and Ohio State.

You know my attitude...It doesn't matter. Win on the field.

Clemson and Ohio State are almost a pick 'em in Vegas (Clemson favored by 2).

LSU is favored by 13 over Oklahoma.

The top 3 programs are very close...Oklahoma, a little further back.

BY the by...New Year's Day

................Georgia is favored by 8 1/2 over Baylor.
................Auburn by 8 over Minnesota
................Alabama by 7 over Michigan
................Wisconsin by 2 1/2 over Oregon

Well, truthfully I haven’t shed a tear...... and I have no idea how “they”, meaning all 13 committee members voted, could be 6 of them agreed with me about “Who’s Number One?”.

Did I mention Penn State??? I don’t recall other than mentioning the Lions as one of the teams Ohio State beat during their run to the title, but I’ll check and see....

Diplomacy is fine, but I believe the truth is best between the two.

I agree with you about your attitude.

Vegas???? Aren’t they the guys who picked Sacramento State to beat Alcorn State by TWO touchdowns last weekend????? Ha,ha,ha..... you should consider participating in the board’s Pick ‘Em Contest next season. 8)

Like I’ve said on numerous occasions, my beef with the process is participation and selection, not who’s in or who wins.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:43 am

billybud wrote:And one might ask the Committee..."Why did Ohio State leap LSU two weeks back?" What is the reasoning?

Good question...... although it’s the answer that’s most important.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:13 pm

Because I have always been interested....

SMALLEST DEVIATION FROM ACTUAL GAME SCORES (Entire Season)

Deviation from the game score is the difference between the game prediction and the actual result.

The Vegas Line topped the 72 computers followed in 9 of the 16 years in study.

MOST ACCURATE STRAIGHT UP PREDICTOR (Entire Season)

The Vegas Line was the winner in 12 of the 16 years over the 72 computers.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:15 pm

I like this notion and the considerations and thinking behind it, although I would prefer a 16 team bracket simply because of the number of teams in college football versus the NFL. 8)

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-fo ... c7b310sabn
Last edited by Mountainman on Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:32 pm

billybud wrote:Because I have always been interested....

Deviation from the game score is the difference between the game prediction and the actual result.

Hopefully you’re aware that the Vegas Guys move their lines and favorites as the bets come in....... it’s driven by money, kinda what Spence mentioned as to why Ohio State and Clemson are playing in Arizona while LSU and Oklahoma are in Atlanta. :?

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:40 pm

Saw no real suggestion in that article....one man's click bait.

College ball is not the NFL....there is no draft...no preset draft order...

The day when a kid is told that Old Dominion has selected him because they were a loser and get a high pick, and he can not go to Ohio State, regardless of his talent, is the day That I lose interest.

I hope I am long gone by the time they tell an 18 year old high school senior where he can play....

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:46 pm

Mountainman wrote:

Hopefully you’re aware that the Vegas Guys move their lines and favorites as the bets come in....... it’s driven by money, kinda what Spence mentioned as to why Ohio State and Clemson are playing in Arizona while LSU and Oklahoma are in Atlanta. :?

Oh..I am more aware of how Vegas works than most....and the line changes after the odds makers set it are usually minimal. The Books want to make money...they know who should win and do set lines to attract betters. That is why you might see Oklahoma +13 vs LSU....folks who would not bet against LSU straight up, might take a flyer with Oklahoma given a 13 point lead to start the game.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:49 pm

billybud wrote:Saw no real suggestion in that article....one man's click bait.

College ball is not the NFL....there is no draft...no preset draft order...

The day when a kid is told that Old Dominion has selected him because they were a loser and get a high pick, and he can not go to Ohio State, regardless of his talent, is the day That I lose interest.

I hope I am long gone by the time they tell an 18 year old high school senior where he can play....

Well, since you saw no ‘real suggestion’....... why are you making one by suggesting that college football would implement a player draft?????

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:51 pm

billybud wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

Oh..I am more aware of how Vegas works than most....and the line changes after the odds makers set it are usually minimal. The Books want to make money...they know who should win and do set lines to attract betters. That is why you might see Oklahoma +13 vs LSU....folks who would not bet against LSU straight up, might take a flyer with Oklahoma given a 13 point lead to start the game.

So are you suggesting the National Champion would be the team that beat the point spread the Vegas Guys established???? :?

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:34 pm

Don't be obtuse or cute....I am not suggesting such.

I suggest that the ultimate last man standing between LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, and Oklahoma be crowned.

But...failure to impress vs the spread hurt Ohio State some in the CCG...as well as Oklahoma. And their performance against the spread against Georgia buoyed LSU.

But...one can't discount that the Final Four were in the top six in futures odds to win it all, preseason, ...out of 130 teams...Vegas had it down pretty well.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:57 pm

billybud wrote:Don't be obtuse or cute....I am not suggesting such.

I suggest that the ultimate last man standing between LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, and Oklahoma be crowned.

But...failure to impress vs the spread hurt Ohio State some in the CCG...as well as Oklahoma. And their performance against the spread against Georgia buoyed LSU.

But...one can't discount that the Final Four were in the top six in futures odds to win it all, preseason, ...out of 130 teams...Vegas had it down pretty well.

Well, your suggestion about ‘the ultimate last man standing’ is already in place. I am curious as to where you got the information about Ohio State’s ‘failure to impress vs the spread’. If you got that out of the CFP Chairman, the man who should know, then it’s time for ESPN to dump Ole Reece....... and about your Vegas claim of ‘down pretty well’, can you tell me since the inception of the CFP Playoff how many times Ohio State, Oklahoma, Clemson and Alabama have made the CFP Playoff??? I doubt it would be much of an accomplishment to pick a couple of more teams.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:06 pm

billybud wrote:But...failure to impress vs the spread hurt Ohio State some in the CCG...as well as Oklahoma. And their performance against the spread against Georgia buoyed LSU.

In Oklahoma's case, it had nothing to do with their CCG; but everything to do with the Kansas State game.

1 minute after the Playoff selections were announced; the Oklahoma / LSU line opened at 10 ... ten minutes later, that line changed to 11 ... five minutes after that, the line was up to 12 --- Vegas will do what it can to get people to bite as soon as they can {as well as among collaborative reasoning}

It does help when you know regardless of the odds for winning; certain teams are always positioned ahead, even before the preseason rankings are released.

There is certainly something to habit that drives insight, in these for instances.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Return to “General Discussion”