LSU

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

LSU

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:17 am

Congrats to Joe Burrow and the LSU Tigers on the national championship. Burrow played awesome in that game. Early on he should have been sacked 4 or 5 times and he made positive yards.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: LSU

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:53 pm

Just goes to show how misevalution occurs with regards to recruiting rankings ...

Here, a 2 Star guy, took his team to an undefeated season in the toughest division of of the toughest conference, Won the Heisman Trophy & the National Championship.

As for the game ...

I also give a bunch of credit to the Coaching Staff of LSU. They made the right adjustments that Clemson didn't have an answer for. Going from stifled to scoring; going from beat [defensively] to lock down.

Trevor Lawrence seemed off his game, too. Overthrowing some passes, and missing the guys in stride. He also threw the ball to the least yardage receiver, rather than look deep when his guys were open 20 yards ut.

I think that had to do with the play style of Clemson all season. He never actually had to go deep every shot, because they were always playing from ahead. But being down against a team that is defensively better than anyone you've played all season, you've got to check down.

The other reason I think Lawrence was off; LSU made him feel pressure. Something he hadn't experienced most of the season. At times, even when the offense picked up the blitz, he threw the ball too early, or misfired it. LSU was in his head.

Like you said, Spence ...

Congratulations to the LSU Tigers, for a perfect 15-0 season, and taking home the National Championship. Truly, the best team of 2019 --- They Certainly are #1 in my book.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:41 pm

Nice narrative...

Here, a 2 Star guy, took his team to an undefeated season in the toughest division of of the toughest conference, Won the Heisman Trophy & the National Championship.

But...Burrows was a 247 composite 4 star... and ESPN 4 star

https://247sports.com/Player/Joe-Burrow-36575/
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:17 pm

He was a 2 star when Ohio State offered. They changed him to 4 later, as often happens, because the recruiting guys base their stars on what school s offer him.

Nick Mangold was a one star from scout and not rated from rivals when he signed with Ohio State. No one knew who he was, he had 3 offers (Ohio State, Clemson, and Notre Dame).He ended up as a 7 time pro bowler and retired after a 12 year career as a center. I think they did. Ump him to a 2 star when Ohio State offered him.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:53 am

Spence...not according to 247's rating history...

Maybe we like to remember things differently then they were...

Burrow attended Athens High School (2011–14) in The Plains, Ohio, leading the school to three straight playoff appearances and the school's first seven playoff victories in school history.[7] During his career, he passed for 11,416 yards with 157 passing touchdowns and rushed for 2,067 yards with 27 rushing touchdowns.[8] He was awarded the state's Mr. Football Award and Gatorade Player of the Year award as a senior in 2014. He and his Bulldog teammates went 14–1 that season. He was also a standout basketball player, and was named first-team all-state at point guard his senior year.[7] Burrow was rated as a four-star football recruit, and was the eighth-highest ranked dual-threat quarterback in the class of 2015 according to the 247Sports Composite.[9] He committed to Ohio State to play football on May 27, 2014.[10][11]
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:29 pm

I don't believe that scout had him listed above 3 star until after he committed. Rivals had him at 2. Rivals bumped him to 3 when Ohio State offered and Scout bumped him to 4. That could be wrong, I am just going by memory. But I was aware of him in high school. He went to school 45 minutes from my house. He was a big deal QB in Ohio. Not many outside Ohio knew about him because Athens County is poor and not many outside their area go into those parts. I think West Virginia recruited him. Maryland, I think was his first offer. He was Mr Football in Ohio and Tom Herman was his recruiter here for Ohio State. We saw him on local TV about every night. I don't know when exactly he popped up on Ohio State's radar but Tom Herman was big on him. I think the only Power 5 schools that offered him were Ohio State, West Virginia, Iowa State, and Maryland. I think he was the #10 dual threat QB in the country. I also believe he was a consensus 3 star over all. People in Ohio new his story. Dad was a coach, brothers played for Nebraska. Herman originally wanted him in Cbus, but Urban wanted a kid from California. I don't remember who. Herman saw both kids throw and lobbied for Burrow. He won in the end. Burrow wasn't an elite 11 qb. Haskin's was the next year though.

At Ohio State lots of people wanted him in ahead of JT Barrett, but JT just kept winning. Then when it looked like he was the guy, he broke his hand. In the end Haskins won the competition. Burrow asked Urban where he stood and if he would get a fair shot at winning the QB job after spring when it looked like Haskins was going to be the guy. Urban told him that he and Haskins would compete and he would give him a decision on the winner in time for Joe to make a decision if he wanted to transfer. I think it was June or early July when Haskins was named the started and Joe decided to transfer. Meyer wanted him to stay, but Joe thought it best for his career to move on. He made a good decision.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:04 pm

hmmm ... ... ... ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74NEAEnuOMM

You can clearly hear Beckham saying, "I told you, I told you! Remember what I told you!"

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:38 pm

Spence wrote:I don't believe that scout had him listed above 3 star until after he committed. Rivals had him at 2. Rivals bumped him to 3 when Ohio State offered and Scout bumped him to 4. That could be wrong, I am just going by memory. But I was aware of him in high school. He went to school 45 minutes from my house. He was a big deal QB in Ohio. Not many outside Ohio knew about him because Athens County is poor and not many outside their area go into those parts. I think West Virginia recruited him. Maryland, I think was his first offer. He was Mr Football in Ohio and Tom Herman was his recruiter here for Ohio State. We saw him on local TV about every night. I don't know when exactly he popped up on Ohio State's radar but Tom Herman was big on him. I think the only Power 5 schools that offered him were Ohio State, West Virginia, Iowa State, and Maryland. I think he was the #10 dual threat QB in the country. I also believe he was a consensus 3 star over all. People in Ohio new his story. Dad was a coach, brothers played for Nebraska. Herman originally wanted him in Cbus, but Urban wanted a kid from California. I don't remember who. Herman saw both kids throw and lobbied for Burrow. He won in the end. Burrow wasn't an elite 11 qb. Haskin's was the next year though.

At Ohio State lots of people wanted him in ahead of JT Barrett, but JT just kept winning. Then when it looked like he was the guy, he broke his hand. In the end Haskins won the competition. Burrow asked Urban where he stood and if he would get a fair shot at winning the QB job after spring when it looked like Haskins was going to be the guy. Urban told him that he and Haskins would compete and he would give him a decision on the winner in time for Joe to make a decision if he wanted to transfer. I think it was June or early July when Haskins was named the started and Joe decided to transfer. Meyer wanted him to stay, but Joe thought it best for his career to move on. He made a good decision.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... -interests
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:23 pm

Of course when the player does well they always use the lowest ranking to prove the worth of the recruiting services. :lol:

He was always a smart qb with a pretty good arm. Anyone who watched him play in high school new he was special. I’m not sure if anyone but maybe his dad and Tom Herman really new how special. But Urban Meyer toughen him up. He said more than once he almost quit and went home several times his first year. He stuck it out and learned to play the position and also got his degree from Ohio State. Then he transferred to LSU and kept developing and also got his graduate degree. He got the most out of a football scholarship as any one could get.

The guy who does my taxes knows Joe’s family. He says they are really good people.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:01 am

Spence wrote:Of course when the player does well they always use the lowest ranking to prove the worth of the recruiting services. :lol:

He was always a smart qb with a pretty good arm. Anyone who watched him play in high school new he was special. I’m not sure if anyone but maybe his dad and Tom Herman really new how special. But Urban Meyer toughen him up. He said more than once he almost quit and went home several times his first year. He stuck it out and learned to play the position and also got his degree from Ohio State. Then he transferred to LSU and kept developing and also got his graduate degree. He got the most out of a football scholarship as any one could get.

The guy who does my taxes knows Joe’s family. He says they are really good people.

Let’s not forget that Dwayne Haskins and Justin Fields are pretty dag-gum good too. :lol: :lol:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:35 pm

Yeah, I know. I’m not saying Ohio State made the wrong decision. They felt Haskins had won the job and was ahead in his development. All three guys would start for most schools.

Return to “General Discussion”