The Battle Lines for NIL Issue......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

The Battle Lines for NIL Issue......

Postby Mountainman » Fri May 01, 2020 9:48 am

.........are beginning to come into focus. :? :? :?

https://www.si.com/college/2020/04/29/n ... l-analysis
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Battle Lines for NIL Issue......

Postby Spence » Fri May 01, 2020 10:39 pm

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I can't help but think that the non revenue sports are going to end up being collateral damage in the end.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat May 02, 2020 10:06 am

Most major colleges have a robust club sports scene...may take up some slack for non revenue sports...Cincinnati cut soccer, FSU has no men's soccer...but both have club soccer at a competitive level.

Heck...most folks don't kniw that there is an South Eastern Ice Hockey League...SEC teams, FSU, GT play in it.

https://www.sechc.net/
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat May 02, 2020 10:13 am

Southern schools don't play scholarship Lacrosse....but check out the Lacrosse League...what sports should look like...

https://www.selc.org/page/show/2719146-teams
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat May 02, 2020 10:44 pm

billybud wrote:Most major colleges have a robust club sports scene...may take up some slack for non revenue sports...Cincinnati cut soccer, FSU has no men's soccer...but both have club soccer at a competitive level.

Heck...most folks don't kniw that there is an South Eastern Ice Hockey League...SEC teams, FSU, GT play in it.

This is true. There is no shortage of club sports. My daughter plays club soccer. The school she goes to doesn't have a soccer team, but it hasn't stopped her from playing club and also in a local league. Where there is a will.....

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun May 03, 2020 8:17 am

Yep, appears changes are coming........ from NIL, to players becoming employees of the schools, Federal Legislation, Antitrust Legislation, etc. Hopefully they, meaning both sides of the issues, don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. 8) 8) 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun May 03, 2020 8:30 am

Spence wrote:
billybud wrote:Most major colleges have a robust club sports scene...may take up some slack for non revenue sports...Cincinnati cut soccer, FSU has no men's soccer...but both have club soccer at a competitive level.

This is true. There is no shortage of club sports. My daughter plays club soccer. The school she goes to doesn't have a soccer team, but it hasn't stopped her from playing club and also in a local league. Where there is a will.....

My son played club soccer ....travelled and played in a region between Atlanta and Miami....The Georgia club was very good...and the hispanic players made the Miami teams very tough to beat.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun May 03, 2020 10:22 pm

billybud wrote:
Spence wrote:

My son played club soccer ....travelled and played in a region between Atlanta and Miami....The Georgia club was very good...and the hispanic players made the Miami teams very tough to beat.

Soccer players are very dedicated to their sport. My daughter could have got a full ride playing golf and she gave it up for soccer. It has always been her sport. Even through two hip surgeries she still isn't ready to give it up. I'm trying to get her to move on to coaching and quit being an active player. While she is still relatively heathly.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon May 04, 2020 2:06 pm

My son played from age 5 through college...never seriously injured.

He had a complete knee blow out coaching...ACL, MCL, Meniscus, Patella....a major rebuild and rehab and the end of cleats.

I played for years, then coached...and finally had my knee injury officiating...players got tangled at speed and one fell onto my leg....end of cleats for me.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon May 04, 2020 10:45 pm

I've been lucky enough to be active in sports for over 50 years now, but I have to say that helping my kids accomplish their goals has been the most fun. I'm hoping my youngest one keeps playing golf. She seems to be the one who shares my love of the game. She always seemed the least likely to take up golf, then one day she just came up to me as asked to play on my team. Funny how things work.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed May 06, 2020 11:21 am

As one can surmise, I’ve been casually keeping up with this NIL and other similar stuff that may change NCAA athletics. Usually this time of year my time is spent keeping up with all things WVU, primarily the goings on with the football and basketball teams.

I was reading an article this morning and ran across something that made me take pause...... the article was talking about various aspects of the NIL dispute, but began to focus into the influence that video game companies interests which are claimed to be one of the big proponents of the NCAA not only granting the rights, but granting those rights without certain strings and restrictions attached. The author strongly supports the video game industries interests.

One might ask...... ‘What did the author said his reasoning was for the NCAA granting unrestricted video game rights?????’
He believes it’s the only way Michigan will ever beat Ohio State. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed May 06, 2020 9:55 pm

I heard last week that Michigan's governor was not going to lift restrictions on her state until they beat the Buckeyes. I think there is a chance of Michigan beating Ohio State in any single year, but if she wants them to do it twice in a row, they aren't ever going to lift those ristrictions.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu May 07, 2020 10:18 am

I got a good laugh out of the article (Sports Illustrated), the author, was saying pretty serious stuff about the issues at hand and his thoughts on where things may end up, the sins of the past and some possible outcomes of no action by the NCAA. Then at the end he comes up with a more lighthearted closing....... :D :D :D

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri May 08, 2020 10:55 pm

If it is possible for the NCAA to screw this thing up and destroy college sports, they will do it.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat May 09, 2020 11:51 am

Spence wrote:If it is possible for the NCAA to screw this thing up and destroy college sports, they will do it.

Well, the NCAA’s approach to managing college athletics to date has resulted in getting themselves into this current quandary, they’ve got no one blame but themselves.

They’ve managed to paint themselves in a corner where they’re going to need help and assistance from the Federal Government with legislative action to address antitrust and address issues of college athletes becoming employees of the schools that could result in the creation of a players union.

The threat is real, and more at stake than the NIL issue, there’re lots of folks out there wanting a slice of the NCAA pie. 8) 8)

Return to “General Discussion”