Recruits Signing Early

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Recruits Signing Early

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon May 04, 2020 2:56 am

On Sunday Night, as Miami signed Elijah Arroyo, a 4 Star Tight End out of Texas; I thought of this a big gain for the `Canes.

Other programs that were offering; Alabama - Auburn - Texas A&M {many said his choice was down to Miami/Texas A&M}

Then I looked around, and see other schools landing big names during this hysteria. I wonder, since we do not yet know what/or if there will be much of, a high school football season is going to be.

Are these kids locking in their commitments, now, to hold their spot on a potential College roster?

Now that the schools have been halted on the number of Scholarships they can offer, maybe it is in their best interest to lock themselves in early. Especially with the immediate future of the sport being in question.

Well --- At Least We Know Those Recruit Ratings Are Accurate, Right?
https://awfulannouncing.com/online-outl ... nking.html

:lol:

Well, most of the time at least.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Recruits Signing Early

Postby Mountainman » Mon May 04, 2020 9:01 am

........if you think recruiting imaginary College Football Players is fun, try playing a round of golf with an imaginary ball!!!!!!! Why just the other day I shot a 58 on a Par 72!!!! Every drive was long and straight, the irons were magical and my putting was magnificent!!!!! And to beat it all, I played the entire round with the same ball.

:D :D :D :D :D
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon May 04, 2020 10:34 am

Mountainman wrote:........if you think recruiting imaginary College Football Players is fun, try playing a round of golf with an imaginary ball!!!!!!! Why just the other day I shot a 58 on a Par 72!!!! Every drive was long and straight, the irons were magical and my putting was magnificent!!!!! And to beat it all, I played the entire round with the same ball.

:D :D :D :D :D

I am still playing on my home course with a real ball. 72 is still the goal where I play.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat May 09, 2020 11:39 pm

Miami Strikes back ...

florida took RB Lorenzo Lingard from Miami out from the Transfer Portal.

Today, the announcement went out; 15th Rated Offensive Tackle Issiah Walker, committed to the lizards back in 2019, signed in the 2020 class, enrolled in January --- officially transfers to the U.

This is a Huge pick up. If there has been one glaring problematic area on the Hurricanes offense, it's been right up front.

The question is bouncing, whether he'll be eligible to play this year, or not --- I'm thinking the likelihood is no.

Picking up Chris Washington out of Nashville, and Jalen Rivers from Orange Park, gives Miami three well suited OT's in this class.

Finally, we're not just settling for mere numbers at depth; Instead, building quality position at numbers.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun May 10, 2020 8:30 am

Good get for Miami....sweeter for stealing him from the Lizards.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon May 11, 2020 9:04 pm

Taulia Tagovaila entering into the Transfer Portal, and his family moving to Miami to be closer to Tua, who was drafted by the Dolphins; I wonder if there is a potential Florida School destination for this kid.

Billybud, do you know if FSU is talking to him? He might just fit Norvell's system.

The swamp rats have Redshirt Jr Kyle Trask, who replaced Feleipe Franks as the starter. Trask said in an interview, that he has already made the decision to stay for his senior year. Which means he'd have to wait another year in Gainesville, which it doesn't seem as though he wants to do.

There could be a possibility for him to sign with Miami. D'Eriq King is a Grad Transfer, with just this upcoming season of eligibility. So, if Taulia were to land in Coral Gables, he'd likely have to sit out a year due to transfer rules. But he could compete for the starting position next season.

However; I haven't heard of any contact between he and the coaching staff. I imagine they'd be interested. Though, no one is saying so at the moment.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat May 16, 2020 3:02 am

Looks like we got our answer ...

Taulia Tagovaila has officially signed with Maryland.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat May 16, 2020 8:53 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:___________________________________________

Looks like we got our answer ...

Taulia Tagovaila has officially signed with Maryland.

Maybe I’ll get to see him play in person...... WVU and Maryland are scheduled to play the next couple of seasons. 8) 8) 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat May 16, 2020 10:15 pm

Locksley has done pretty well recruiting given Maryland's less than steller record.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu May 28, 2020 11:28 pm

Okay, so here's some interesting news ...

As some may know; When Georgia QB Jake Fromm declared for the nfl draft, 2 days later, they signed Dual Threat QB Jamie Newman as a Grad Transfer from Wake Forest. Eligible to play this season.

Today, Georgia has landed another QB out of the Transfer Portal, this time, a very Big Name.

Former 5 Star Quarterback, JT Daniels, Transfers from USC, to Georgia.

The question now, is if Daniels will be eligible to play this season, or will he be a hold over to 2021.

He only played 1 game last year, before tearing his acl. So he meets the requirement of playing 4 game or less to redshirt.

He'd have two possible years of eligibility. Though, if he performs well in his next playing season, he could easily turn pro.

With other names in that Bulldogs lineup, Carson Beck - D'Wan Mathis - Stetson Bennett, Georgia presently has one of the most crowded Quarterback Rooms in College Football, with regards to depth & talent.

I see Transfers in the not too distant future, from this program.

Cane... [__]

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri May 29, 2020 4:17 pm

It's been a big question mark, but there were no huge commitments out of high school and why I was saying Ga would not win the East this year.

The transfers though, do give me hope that the QB spot won't lose a lot of talent.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat May 30, 2020 3:42 am

Derek wrote:It's been a big question mark, but there were no huge commitments out of high school and why I was saying Ga would not win the East this year.

The transfers though, do give me hope that the QB spot won't lose a lot of talent.

I've heard some say that Georgia is looking to amp up their offense this season, after Alabama & LSU leaned that trend ... then again; we've heard that before, and the Head Coach doesn't seem to follow through.

Derek, do you see that as the object by Georgia this year? If so, I would think Jamie Newman is the likely candidate to start, being a Dual Threat QB.

Though, it's Kirby ... and he started Fromm over Fields.

If Smart maintains his Offensive blueprint, one would think Daniels is his guy, being a pro-style prototype.

I suppose he could try to mix things up, a bit. Rotate guys to get the players use to an adapting playbook. But if Daniels is figured for two seasons, and Newman is in his last; that would seem backwards if the idea is to take the team in a new approach for the future.

Cane... [__]

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun May 31, 2020 5:09 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Derek wrote:It's been a big question mark, but there were no huge commitments out of high school and why I was saying Ga would not win the East this year.

I've heard some say that Georgia is looking to amp up their offense this season, after Alabama & LSU leaned that trend ... then again; we've heard that before, and the Head Coach doesn't seem to follow through.

Derek, do you see that as the object by Georgia this year? If so, I would think Jamie Newman is the likely candidate to start, being a Dual Threat QB.

Though, it's Kirby ... and he started Fromm over Fields.

If Smart maintains his Offensive blueprint, one would think Daniels is his guy, being a pro-style prototype.

I suppose he could try to mix things up, a bit. Rotate guys to get the players use to an adapting playbook. But if Daniels is figured for two seasons, and Newman is in his last; that would seem backwards if the idea is to take the team in a new approach for the future.

They used to do a 2 QB system for one year back in 2003 and it worked VERY well with David Greene and DJ Shockley. I don't know if Smart is a fan of that or not.

There has not been a lot of talk about it, that I've heard, so he probably has not made up his mind yet.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:49 am

We got another ...

The `Canes added Sr Offensive Tackle Jarrid Williams to their 2020 roster, via the Transfer Portal.

The coaching staff is doing an excellent job of staying on point throughout this pandemic. William's two schools of choice, were Baylor and Miami --- because he initially insinuated that he would make his decision by Memorial Day Weekend; with no announcement, many assumed he he quietly chosen to stay close to home by selecting Baylor [being from Cedar Hill, Texas].

Other teams who were offering a spot to Jarrid Williams: Florida State, Ole Miss & USC

Then, the news broke Sunday, he will be in [Orange.Green] this year!

This one is a really nice get. He played at Houston under a spread offense, and with 20+ starts behind him, blocked for D'Eriq King for two seasons [Miami's Projected Starting QB].

So, not only does he already know King's on field tendencies; he is a veteran of the offensive design, who can really help the other guys adapt tot the system.

Here's a short post practice video of him, from 2018:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyaPXKvZSEQ

What's great about this, is how he speaks directly on hand placement & foot motion while transitioning to this offensive scheme.

He talks a bit on his progression, and how learning the techniques better prep him to help his teammates.

This is exactly what you want from an incoming player. Right mind, right attitude.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:26 pm

Still signing names ...

And if the high schools continue their distancing, early signing day may see a record number of names across the country, this year.

Big News regarding a highly sought WR prospect out of Miami Northwestern.

4 Star Romello Brinson signed last night, for the 2021 class.

Other schools that were in play; Texas A&M, Georgia & Clemson

What makes this commit so exciting, isn't just the explosive potential he brings. It's also showing this Assistant Staff can compete for the marquee talent in South Florida. Miami really needs to be able to keep these guys home, if they're gonna have a chance to get back in the contender's seat.

And although he's yet to sign, Kamren Kinchens, 4 Star Safety from Miami Northwestern, is showing increasing interest. As forethought, Brinson & Kitnhens were always considered a package deal. You get one, the other will follow. He, too, is on Texas A&M, Georgia and Clemson's recruitment offers. Which suggests these programs believed it to be true.

Landing them both would help to propel the program forward, from a recruiting stand point.

There are other names we're hearing; but I'll hold off on them until I get more info.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”