Talks Have Begun to Make All Replays Viral......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Talks Have Begun to Make All Replays Viral......

Postby Mountainman » Sat May 16, 2020 12:42 pm

.......and not have Replay Officials at the games this season.

Some interesting stats from 2019....... there was an average of 2.2 replays per game during the season and 40 percent of the replays resulted in reversals of the call made on the field. The average replay took 79 seconds. For 2020 a time limit of 2 minutes per replay is being proposed. 8) 8) 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Talks Have Begun to Make All Replays Viral......

Postby Spence » Sat May 16, 2020 10:19 pm

I think for the most part replay is not needed. I think for every reversal they get right they have at least one where they don't have enough video evidence and they officiate it anyway.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun May 17, 2020 12:24 am

Doesn't the nfl have some sort of central replay unit, in a headquarters elsewhere U.S.A. ..?

If that's the model Collegiate Athletics is headed; all we need is a good hacker, and play reversed from shadow location cellar dweller U.S.A. --- then we'd get to blame the Russians as the scapegoat.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun May 17, 2020 11:13 am

I believe “replay” has gotten our of hand to where it’s interrupting the flow of the game and therefore the enjoyment. It seems contradictory to have a play clock to pace the game and then stop play in order to ‘further review’.

If the game officials can’t get in position to make the calls, then simply add another official or 2.

And as for this crap TARGETING stuff if an official calls it, make it a personal foul, 15 yds & 1st down and sit the offender for the remainder of the possession, let the player return to play and then review the play at halftime or after the end of the game and dole out whatever penalty....... ranging from suspension, castration or burned at the stake.

:roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Tue May 19, 2020 12:16 pm

Mountainman wrote:there was an average of 2.2 replays per game during the season

This surprises me a bit. I would've guessed it to be higher. I wonder if there is a difference between P5 games and non? I would get the bigger games on TV would have more reviews, but even the 11a kick on a given conf channel feels it has at least 2 reviews a half. Maybe it is simply my imagination and disdain for the replay that makes me overestimate how often it is used.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed May 20, 2020 12:35 am

Mountainman wrote:And as for this crap TARGETING stuff if an official calls it, make it a personal foul, 15 yds & 1st down and sit the offender for the remainder of the possession, let the player return to play and then review the play at halftime or after the end of the game and dole out whatever penalty....... ranging from suspension, castration or burned at the stake.

If the replay is happening from some central office; why not then sit the player for the rest of the possession, and make the decision by the time his team is back on defense?

I'm sure you could have more than 1 Booth tech running replay. Especially if it will be some HQ set elsewhere, since they'd have to already have multiple people examining plays. Seeing as there'd be "X" number of games being played on a given day.

As for the penalty, that would have to be an extreme judgement call. Depending on whether the hit was Late, or During ball handling. If they player has a ball, then Targeting is overruled. You gave a 15 yard penalty for a Legal Tackle, and then everyone finds out when the player comes back onto the field.

That is a tricky situation.

I do like the time limit on replay --- How often is a play reviewed where it was obvious right away, but play is held up because they keep looking for something?

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed May 20, 2020 11:50 am

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed May 20, 2020 2:32 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:And as for this crap TARGETING stuff if an official calls it, make it a personal foul, 15 yds & 1st down and sit the offender for the remainder of the possession, let the player return to play and then review the play at halftime or after the end of the game and dole out whatever penalty....... ranging from suspension, castration or burned at the stake.

If the replay is happening from some central office; why not then sit the player for the rest of the possession, and make the decision by the time his team is back on defense?

I'm sure you could have more than 1 Booth tech running replay. Especially if it will be some HQ set elsewhere, since they'd have to already have multiple people examining plays. Seeing as there'd be "X" number of games being played on a given day.

As for the penalty, that would have to be an extreme judgement call. Depending on whether the hit was Late, or During ball handling. If they player has a ball, then Targeting is overruled. You gave a 15 yard penalty for a Legal Tackle, and then everyone finds out when the player comes back onto the field.

That is a tricky situation.

I do like the time limit on replay --- How often is a play reviewed where it was obvious right away, but play is held up because they keep looking for something?

That’s a good point...... how about after the call is made, the player charged with the foul is taken out of the game and play continues while the call is being reviewed. If the call is confirmed the player is ineligible to participate and if the call is overruled the player can return to the game immediately. 8)

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed May 20, 2020 4:05 pm

highfly24 wrote:
Mountainman wrote:there was an average of 2.2 replays per game during the season

This surprises me a bit. I would've guessed it to be higher. I wonder if there is a difference between P5 games and non? I would get the bigger games on TV would have more reviews, but even the 11a kick on a given conf channel feels it has at least 2 reviews a half. Maybe it is simply my imagination and disdain for the replay that makes me overestimate how often it is used.

Agreed, I’d like to see the numbers behind those numbers........ as we’ve seen way too much of , the media has a way of using data and information to ‘shape’ their stories and articles to lead their listeners and readers down a path of the author’s choosing. 8)

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu May 21, 2020 7:49 am

40% overruled rate means almost half....in a tight game, a bad call can lose a game. A fumble that was actually already down, a runner that touched out on the way to the goal...

I don't mind a little time for a better call. If you have ever officiated, you know how difficult it is to see from different angles with a lot of bodies around....when an official behind and far away from the infraction throws a flag...well.

It also keeps the game honest. In a day where millions are spent gambling on a spread, a bad call or two can influence the outcome...an official with flagrantly bad calls will be reviewed.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat May 23, 2020 9:40 pm

billybud wrote:40% overruled rate means almost half....in a tight game, a bad call can lose a game. A fumble that was actually already down, a runner that touched out on the way to the goal...

I don't mind a little time for a better call. If you have ever officiated, you know how difficult it is to see from different angles with a lot of bodies around....when an official behind and far away from the infraction throws a flag...well.

It also keeps the game honest. In a day where millions are spent gambling on a spread, a bad call or two can influence the outcome...an official with flagrantly bad calls will be reviewed.

I don't mind the extra time, I mind the over officiating by the replay officials. They are supposed to have "incontrovertible visual evidence". Often times they over turn plays without it.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun May 24, 2020 9:36 am

Just my opinion...but I think they are far more right then wrong on most reviews....excepting "targeting"....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun May 24, 2020 10:26 am

I like the idea of video replay, but I don't like that they review every play and will stop the game, even if there has been no flag NOR neither team asking for it.

That's a waste IMO.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun May 24, 2020 11:53 am

........College Football is a great game that is being subjected to too many interruptions to the point where speed and rhythm, two things that make the the game appealing, are being impacted.

The two culprits are Television Timeouts for whatever reason and Game Officiating. The TV time outs are an easy fix as the NFL has done while officiating may be more efficient by adding two more officials. They would be positioned one on each sideline between the line judges and the back judges. 8)

...... and I’ll say it’s not anyone’s fault, so to speak, it’s just that the game has changed in regards to bigger, stronger, quicker and faster players, more complex formations with ‘speciality’ players that causes adjustments having to be made on the fly AND the game is now played from sideline to sideline and 30-40 yards downfield from the LOS at an oftentimes fast pace...... just take a look at the number of plays per game are being run nowadays, by both teams during a game. :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”