Big 10 Cancels Non Conference Games

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Big 10 Cancels Non Conference Games

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:48 pm

The Big Ten officially cancelled all of the Out of Conference games, and are going to play a 10 game In Conference schedule for 2020.

Some are saying that talks out of they ACC have a similar tone; though not yet official.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Big 10 Cancels Non Conference Game

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:55 pm

That makes sense........ as I understand it, there’s not a national standard for testing or prevention protocol for football programs, those are local decisions. :?
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Big 10 Cancels Non Conference Games

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:51 pm

Mountainman wrote:That makes sense........ as I understand it, there’s not a national standard for testing or prevention protocol for football programs, those are local decisions. :?

At least that the story they are going with ...

If they wanted to set a National Collegiate Athletics testing Standard, you know they very well could.

The ACC just announced they are also going to a Conference Only schedule.

ACC Commissioner John Swofford stated: "The ACC will assist Notre Dame with as many games as it needed."

Meaning that, whatever games Notre Dame would have to cancel, they could replace with ACC opponents.

Here are the Non-ACC games on ND's schedule:

@ Navy
Home vs Arkansas
Home vs Western Michigan
Lambeau Field, Green Bay, vs Wisconsin
Home vs Stanford
@ USC

I'm sure these other schools, if not their respective conferences would Love to fulfill their scheduling date with the Irish. Let's face it. Being on the field with Notre Dame generates lots & lots of $

The other possibility on the table, is that ND gets a 1 year full membership to the ACC, where they may even be eligible for the ACC Championship Game.

Whatever --- if this mean ND replaces the empty date on Miami's schedule, from having to drop the Michigan State outing, I'm for it. Especially if that means the trip to East Lansing [which I had tickets for] becomes a trip to South Bend for the Hurricanes. [shave about 6 hours of total travel time off of my day]

Anyhow; that's two of the Power5 Conferences in 1 day.

I'd expect the other three to follow suit, soon enough.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:54 am

There is little doubt in my mind about what the priorities are or what’s driving the decision to not play the non-conference games. For sure COVID is a factor being considered, but IMHO, as a factor that has the real potential to not only shutdown a team but also to shutdown the CFP.

My thinking is that if the first priority was to avoid spreading COVID there would be no football at all, so the first priority must be to devise a plan that would provide the best chance to preserve the season in order to generate the dollars available in order to finance the Athletic Departments going forward....... or put another way, it’s about the money. And that’s not a bad thing....... the way I see it, we got blindsided by this virus and it’s impact, until the vaccine is developed and distributed efforts need to be directed toward preserving what we can to a point where things restart and can return to normalcy. 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:15 pm

The MAC is saying that they may have to stop offering full scholarships because of the B1G's decision. They count on that money to be solvent.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:05 pm

Sooo...

Iowa can't play Iowa State...but can travel to Pennsylvania to play Penn State.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:09 pm

Of course playing college football is about the money...

Ohio State's athletic budget is almost $110 million....no football and that's a lot of money to cover.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:33 pm

billybud wrote:Of course playing college football is about the money...

Ohio State's athletic budget is almost $110 million....no football and that's a lot of money to cover.

Absolutely. They are talking about cuts to the athletic program as we speak. Some varsity sports are going to take a hit because of all this. It won't be football, but without that cash cow, the whole AD suffers.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:12 pm

Spence....everywhere..

FSU has layed off athletic staff...coaches are taking pay cuts.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:04 pm

Yep. Football is the machine that makes the power 5 schools go and the power 5 schools are the machine that makes all the others run. This is going to devastate college sports.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:56 pm

They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:47 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if they don't play this fall. Actually, nothing surprises me anymore.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:35 pm

Spence wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if they don't play this fall. Actually, nothing surprises me anymore.

After what has happened at West Virginia that resulted in the ‘firing’, or whatever word they want to use, of Vic Koenning nothing surprises me anymore either.

A player makes a tweet, a third party investigator is hired to conduct a ‘secret investigation’ and one hell of a Defensive Coordinator is out the door........ all because a player claimed Koenning was “insensitive” when he responded to QUESTIONS ASKED BY THE PLAYER.

An example was reported as, the player ASK Koenning about what he said to own young son about the BLM protest and the ensuing riots, looting, criminal behavior and resulting Police and Pepper Spraying. Koenning reportedly said, ‘.......if you don’t want to be pepper sprayed don’t go out there’

.........and btw, the player’s high school coach said Koenning called him several times this summer and even drove to the player’s home to ensure he was eating right, doing the right things during this COVID mess and that the player was doing OK.

WVU is not talking about what happened during the investigation, although an ‘insider’ has said, ‘it was simply the times we’re living in when one must be aware of what they say regardless of what their intent or meaning is’

Based solely on what information has been made public this is just mind blowing to me...... we’ll see if this ‘freshman’ player sticks around or hits the transfer portal, after he cost a good man and excellent defensive coach his job. :roll:

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:07 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if they don't play this fall. Actually, nothing surprises me anymore.

After what has happened at West Virginia that resulted in the ‘firing’, or whatever word they want to use, of Vic Koenning nothing surprises me anymore either.

A player makes a tweet, a third party investigator is hired to conduct a ‘secret investigation’ and one hell of a Defensive Coordinator is out the door........ all because a player claimed Koenning was “insensitive” when he responded to QUESTIONS ASKED BY THE PLAYER.

An example was reported as, the player ASK Koenning about what he said to own young son about the BLM protest and the ensuing riots, looting, criminal behavior and resulting Police and Pepper Spraying. Koenning reportedly said, ‘.......if you don’t want to be pepper sprayed don’t go out there’

.........and btw, the player’s high school coach said Koenning called him several times this summer and even drove to the player’s home to ensure he was eating right, doing the right things during this COVID mess and that the player was doing OK.

WVU is not talking about what happened during the investigation, although an ‘insider’ has said, ‘it was simply the times we’re living in when one must be aware of what they say regardless of what their intent or meaning is’

Based solely on what information has been made public this is just mind blowing to me...... we’ll see if this ‘freshman’ player sticks around or hits the transfer portal, after he cost a good man and excellent defensive coach his job. :roll:

This makes me angry just reading it. I would think that any player like that, regardless of talent, is not a player I would want on my team. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:26 pm

What’s most troubling for me is West Virginia’s decision to engage a third party to conduct the investigation and then decide not to make public the findings. Especially in light of the fact that the allegations made by the player against Coach Koenning were made public in a tweet by the player and published by numerous media outlets throughout the country.

The issue I’m struggling with is how can the outcome of this, the discharge, firing, removal, or whatever, of an excellent coach and good person not come into question when the process chosen by WVU to investigate was to hire a third party and the findings of that investigation are not made available for review in order for Mountaineer Fans and others to make an informed decision???

There’s no doubt that Coach Koenning was ambushed by a player, I’d like some assurance or reason to believe that he was not ambushed a second time by WVU. 8)

Return to “General Discussion”