My Goodness, What a Weekend of College Football

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

My Goodness, What a Weekend of College Football

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:06 am

COVID strikes hard, second-half comebacks, 4th quarter heroics, last second field goals for the win, trick plays going very wrong for scores for the other team........ and divorce papers being drawn-up for Jim Harbaugh. 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: My Goodness, What a Weekend of College Football

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:15 pm

Mountainman wrote:........ and divorce papers being drawn-up for Jim Harbaugh. 8)

If I were Blue, and I were planning to make a change at this point; I'd stop attempting to wow the fan base & Alumnus Association with a marquee big name coach, and target a current successful program builder, who is doing what Michigan wants.

I keep seeing people saying; "Who should we get to replace Harbaugh", on YouTube.

And so far, everybody is drawing a blank ... except.

Not me.

If I were bold enough to move on from the $8 million a year man, then I would target one of these 3 names:

Kyle Whittingham --- What he's doing a Utah with 3 stars, is astonishing
Jim Leavitt --- Everywhere he goes, the program improves
Mario Cristobal --- He's taken Oregon to that next level, and recruits well

They are all proven commodities. Which really is what them boys up north need.

All of them are disciplinarian type guys, who understand football fundamentals and emphasize structure on both sides of the ball.

Other than these 3, I don't see an answer for the Wolverines.

The difference is the clock of father time.

Leavitt is turning 64 next month
Whittingham is turning 61 this month
Cristobal turned 50 two months ago

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:44 pm

Harbaugh, at least up to this year, reiminds me of John Cooper. He puts lots of guys in the NFL , can't beat his rival or win the bowl game.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:37 pm

Appears to me, from the outside looking in, that Michigan has conflict amongst the powers that be in the athletic department who are at cross purposes about HOW they return to prominence on the football field. What they’ve accomplished so far is to take one of the year in and year out elite programs in the sport and reduce it to a bottom third Top 25 program. :roll: :roll: :roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:37 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

To be fair ...

This really is the worst season Michigan has had under Harbaugh.

Where they were before he got there was downright pitiful. But if they truly want to get to that Elite Status, where they're challenging OSU for the conference crown, yearly, then they are going to need to find someone who is a ready made mold.

Harbaugh did well at Stanford; and his name as a Michigan guy who coached the 49ers to a playoff team was a huge draw.

However, you have live by current success and standards. While Harbaugh, at least to me, looks as though he's just lost half the time. You can almost see it in his eyes, that he doesn't have the answer.

We keep hearing, "Wait `til Harbaugh has the qb that is right for his system."

What if the problem is merely the system?

What if Harbaugh is proving insanity; by attempting the same failure over and over again?

It's been a long time since he was the Stanford head coach. The 49ers have moved on and been somewhat successful without him.

If they game has advanced beyond your playbook, and you aren't changing it enough to keep up, then you're going to stay right where you are, as others continue to pass you by.

-------------------------------------------------------------

This is something South Carolina has figure out about Will Muschamp.

They officially axed him yesterday, after falling to 2-5 by losing to Ole Miss on Saturday.

I don't know why they ever hired Muschamp in the first place.

If you wanted to be successful, then why hire a guy who coached florida to a 4-8 record?

The lizards are in one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in College Football, and at the time were #2 in the State, just behind fsu.

South Carolina didn't even wait for the smoke to stop smoldering from uf's furnace, by for they inked the contract. That was perplexing.

Now, I think they are giving him the boot, because they are planning on making a move to Hugh Freeze.

My guess, is the administration has been seeing what Freeze has done with Liberty, and is afraid if they don't make the move now, someone else will make a play on him.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Return to “General Discussion”