Well this SUCKS!!!!!!

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Well this SUCKS!!!!!!

Postby Mountainman » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:37 am

It’s just Swofford doing what he does..... appears to me this is all about getting two teams, Clemson and Notre Dame, into the CFP.

The way I’m seeing it, it’s quite a power play.... he gets to stick it to the SEC, as well as incentivize Notre Dame to join the ACC. :wink: :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:24 pm

Mountainman wrote:It’s just Swofford doing what he does..... appears to me this is all about getting two teams, Clemson and Notre Dame, into the CFP.

The way I’m seeing it, it’s quite a power play.... he gets to stick it to the SEC, as well as incentivize Notre Dame to join the ACC. :wink: :wink:

That is exactly what he is doing. It isn't like the SEC wouldn't do the same in that position.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:26 pm

My goodness, 6 Group of Five teams in the CFP Top Twenty-Five and the Power-5 guys are considering breaking away from the NCAA....... and none of the Group of 5 have at chance to make the Top 4 Rankings to play for the title AND that goes for the vast majority of the Power-5 Teams too. :roll: :roll: :roll:

This whole thing is in dire need of an enema...... 5 gallons would be a good start.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:55 pm

Mountainman wrote:My goodness, 6 Group of Five teams in the CFP Top Twenty-Five and the Power-5 guys are considering breaking away from the NCAA....... and none of the Group of 5 have at chance to make the Top 4 Rankings to play for the title AND that goes for the vast majority of the Power-5 Teams too. :roll: :roll: :roll:

This whole thing is in dire need of an enema...... 5 gallons would be a good start.

The way it is set up is crazy, especially this year. The eye test this year is just about the craziest thing I have ever seen. What are they using as reference? There are no OOC games. It is a big farce. We talked about this before they went to the 4 game playoff and it has become true. There are only 6 or 8 teams in the country that have a chance to go to the playoffs. Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State get the benefit of the doubt over everybody. Alabama gets a do over if they lose. Looks like this year Clemson might too. No one in the B1G can recruit against Ohio State. Ohio State basically get whoever they want in the region and do pretty well nationally and it is mostly because they have a better chance then most at the playoffs. Same with Bama and Clemson. it isn't creating more parity in college football it is killing parity.

Donovan was right when he said the group of 5 didn't have a chance. Neither do the middies of the power 5.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:39 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:My goodness, 6 Group of Five teams in the CFP Top Twenty-Five and the Power-5 guys are considering breaking away from the NCAA....... and none of the Group of 5 have at chance to make the Top 4 Rankings to play for the title AND that goes for the vast majority of the Power-5 Teams too. :roll: :roll: :roll:

The way it is set up is crazy, especially this year. The eye test this year is just about the craziest thing I have ever seen. What are they using as reference? There are no OOC games. It is a big farce. We talked about this before they went to the 4 game playoff and it has become true. There are only 6 or 8 teams in the country that have a chance to go to the playoffs. Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State get the benefit of the doubt over everybody. Alabama gets a do over if they lose. Looks like this year Clemson might too. No one in the B1G can recruit against Ohio State. Ohio State basically get whoever they want in the region and do pretty well nationally and it is mostly because they have a better chance then most at the playoffs. Same with Bama and Clemson. it isn't creating more parity in college football it is killing parity.

Donovan was right when he said the group of 5 didn't have a chance. Neither do the middies of the power 5.

Yep, you’re right....... the disheartening thing about it is that of the 6 to 8 teams you referred to even 2 or 4 of those teams would be excluded in any given year while all the teams in the Group of 5 AND the remaining Power 5 teams don’t even have a path to making the CFP, even if they were to go undefeated and win their conference. What we’ve got is a playoff bracket that teams cannot qualify for by winning. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I suppose it’s the reason they say nowadays that they “Crown” The National Champion as opposed to saying they “Win” The National Championship”.

........but, like you said, we’ve been down this road before and sadly nothing has changed.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:00 am

I miss Donovan's constant whining....as we began discussing the haves and have nots 16 years ago....But gawd, it does get old.

"Oh my, the big guys always win the National Championships" (accompanied by wringing of hands).

You have to beat them to win.....The best of the non P5 conferences is probably the AAC....and they win less than hald of their games against P5 teams (17.8% against the B10, 33% against the SEC, 23% against the B12)...

Give everyone a participation trophy.....

Here is the problem...simple math....every normal distribution will be on a Bell Curve....so if you distribute the strength of 121 teams on a Bell Curve....that means 111 will fall outside of the Top Ten...and 55 will below the mean on the curve.

This year is a one off, one can only hope...with teams having players quarentined, practices limited, games postponed....I give Ohio State props for playing with three offensive line starters out among their 23 sitting out last game...But the Buckeyes have so much talent that they still walloped Michigam State by 40...OSU is a "have" school.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:50 am

Ohio State has played 24 games against the MAC...withiut a loss....in a different league.

Sure a non P5 team may have an upset of a major team...but that is different than playing the P5 schedule....when Appalachian State upset Michigan, everyone cheered for the underdog. But could they win if playing a Big Ten schedule that year?...since Appalachian State went on to lose to Wofford and Georgia Southern, I think not. They did beat Delaware, in the FCS final, to be FCS Champ.

But that season has become known as the "Year of the Upset"....."The 2007 season was highlighted by the remarkable frequency with which ranked teams fell to lower-ranked or unranked opponents, leading the media to dub the season as the "Year of the Upset". An unranked or lower-ranked opponent defeated a higher-ranked team 59 times over the course of the regular season. Teams ranked in the top five of the AP Poll were defeated by unranked opponents 13 times during the regular season, setting a new record in the history of the AP Poll when at least 20 teams were ranked. The only other season to see more such upsets was 1967, which was one of seven seasons when the AP Poll ranked only 10 teams."

The 2007 season became known for the "Curse of the #2", where the team ranked #2 by the AP Poll was defeated seven times in the final nine weeks of the regular season.

As Mountainman and I well remember, WVU was #2 and seven loss Pitt upset the Mountaineers...taking out their shot at the NC. A memorable season with upsets galore....but LSU won the NC, defeating Ohio State.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:47 am

I agree that the power 5 power players, the teams at the top, have better players than even most other teams in their conferences. I also agree that you need to win. There should, however, be a path in. This year no one has any way of comparing a teams strength or a conference’s strength. It is 100% subjective this year.

I watch Ohio State and I don’t see a championship team. I see a defense who lays down in the second half of games. I see an offense that struggles to run the ball. There is a lot of flash, but they lack nastiness in the trenches on both sides of the ball. No one nationally seems to be talking about these kinds of things. All the teams, save Alabama, have some glaring holes when you watch them objectively. How do you say Cincinnati’s holes are worse than Ohio Stare, Notre Dame, or Clemson’s? It comes down to bias and where those teams were last year. None of these teams are where they were last year. LSU has proved this all season this year.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:11 pm

Just what do you mean.."there should be a path in"?

I kind of of agree...Soooo...just break out and have a non P5 championship like FCS....it would be more competitive to have Memphis vs Cincinnati or Houston than against Alabama, Ohio State,Clemson...

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:03 pm

My two cents worth...... simply put, the path in is winning. My preference would be to take the subjectivity out of the process and return to the days where performance and game outcome determine which team “WINS” the title. 8)

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:12 pm

Return to ? Never was.

Most of my time as a fan....the two best teams in the country did not necessarily play each other and the bowls might provide uneven matches ...there was no unified national champion...AP had theirs, UPI theirs, Helm Institute theirs....etc

When BYU won the Associated Press NC in 1984 by playing a 6-6 team in the bowl...it started the path to the BCS.

I think you are rembering a time that never was...

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:05 pm

billybud wrote:Return to ? Never was.

Most of my time as a fan....the two best teams in the country did not necessarily play each other and the bowls might provide uneven matches ...there was no unified national champion...AP had theirs, UPI theirs, Helm Institute theirs....etc

When BYU won the Associated Press NC in 1984 by playing a 6-6 team in the bowl...it started the path to the BCS.

I think you are rembering a time that never was...

Never was????? Goodness, it’s all around, High School Football and Lower Division NCAA Football, NAIA Level Sports, NCAA Basketball Tourney, National Football League, NBA, NHL, Little League Baseball, etc, etc......

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:22 pm

LOL....trying to move the goal posts?

High School football national champions?...what a laugher...based on rankings from USA Today and Prep poll....a beauty contest...they don't play each other...just opinions in polls.

The NCAA basketball Championships...another farcical example...where some schools are included for the "Cinderella cheering" but can not win the championship. In the last 40 seasons, only two teams currently in the Big East (( a major in basketball) have snuck in past the npw P5 teams. The lesser leagues are there for some games, but have no shot at winning. No team from the back half of the seeding (#9-#16) has ever made the championship game and 85% of the champions begin as a seed #1 through #3....no real chances...just a public who believes that there might be...but the figures do not lie.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:37 pm

Nawh, the goal posts have already been moved....... I just don’t like where they’ve been moved to. :roll:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:20 pm

Well....we could do as you suggested...just let the Coaches' poll pick #1....like high school...the way it used to be in college. Is that the goal post yopu want back?

Since you don't like the top four playing it out on the field......

No matter what...some folks will whine...it's what they like to do.

Return to “General Discussion”