Everything is BIG in Texas......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Everything is BIG in Texas......

Postby Mountainman » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:33 am

Yep, WVU has the same kind of group. They’re pretty good about not interfering...... they stayed in the shadows when Dana Holgorsen came on board and all hell broke lose when Bill Stewart was ask/told to step aside. They also didn’t try to flex their muscle/influence when Shane Lyons, then the new AD, and Holgorsen didn’t see eye to eye about employment contract terms and conditions, as well as other things. They stayed on the sidelines and let Gee, Lyons and Holgorsen shoot it out........ and I’ve got to hand it to them as they seem to me to understand WVU’s place in college athletics and don’t have unreasonable dreams and expectations. 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:20 pm

Mountainman wrote:Yep, WVU has the same kind of group. They’re pretty good about not interfering...... they stayed in the shadows when Dana Holgorsen came on board and all hell broke lose when Bill Stewart was ask/told to step aside. They also didn’t try to flex their muscle/influence when Shane Lyons, then the new AD, and Holgorsen didn’t see eye to eye about employment contract terms and conditions, as well as other things. They stayed on the sidelines and let Gee, Lyons and Holgorsen shoot it out........ and I’ve got to hand it to them as they seem to me to understand WVU’s place in college athletics and don’t have unreasonable dreams and expectations. 8)

I think most schools are this way. I think they ones who don't always underachieve because they are always fighting to get out of their own way. :lol:

Ohio State hasn't made a bad coaching hire since before Woody Hayes. Even John Cooper was a good football coach, he just wasn't very good at understanding what Ohio State - Michigan meant to Ohio State. He didn't understand that Ohio State always wants their national championship hopes to run through Ann Arbor. He was a great recruiter and developer of talent, but he could have been better at motivation his guys to play the college game instead of recuiting kids who put their NFL hopes in front of their team.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:56 pm

Ohio State was honest when President Gordon Gee said that Coach Tressel's job was not in jeopardy and that, jokingly one hopes, he hoped that the coach would not fire him.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:06 am

Yep, I think he was probably right. I don’t think Tress was a bad hire, but he did mishandle his position for sure. He has a good gig right now as president of Youngstown state. So he fell on his feet.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:39 am

A lot of Bama fans are upset he's leaving. So it makes me happy he's going to Texas. 8) :lol:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:36 pm

:lol:

Return to “General Discussion”