Everything is BIG in Texas......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Everything is BIG in Texas......

Postby Mountainman » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:04 pm

.........and that includes Tom Herman’s buyout. :? :? :?

15 million to buyout Herman and 10 million to buyout his staff...... they gone. :shock:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Everything is BIG in Texas......

Postby Spence » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:57 pm

It is a huge payout. Herman’s problem was that even though he was a very good coach and coordinator, head coaching is all of that plus being a good manager and leader. I am not sure he has those qualities.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:45 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

He doesn't ...

But the question I have is, does the administration in Austin have those qualities?

They've seemed out of touch for some time now. And if Herman is not the man; then who?

Some say Sarkisian, while Freeze is making a splash at Liberty. Would Texas go risky?

Well, dropping a whopping $25 mil on a buyout is an eye opener ... though, like Notre Dame, UT has a surplus upwards of $3 + Billion. Not really a risk in those terms. However, what they spend on the next coach may start a salary spike other schools will eventually have to funnel cash into.

It could be another nail in the coffin for the group of 5 schools. The divide could become too wide.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:06 pm

Guess we got our answer ...

Sark is in.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:15 pm

Pretty obvious the guys in Austin are upset with what’s happening in College Station. :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:24 pm

Well, here's an interesting bit ...

Mario Cristobal signed an extension on his contract, netting him $27 million over 6 years, which comes to $4.5 million a year.

Sark, as an assistant at Alabama, was getting $2.5 million a year.

Where do you suppose that that number went.

Obviously, Texas is a selling point. But, Sarkisian declined a conversation with Auburn after they fired Malzahn. He also turned down Colorado last year.

So, is being the headman in Austin the dream?

Or, is their a $$$$$$$$ vault with a nameplated key delivered to his PO Box?

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:44 pm

Good point Spence, great observations Cane....... things such as this along with what happened at Auburn and South Carolina makes me wonder. Meaning there’s been 50-plus million combined dollars paid to coaches not to coach at those schools, and none of those school are even close to a CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP, much less a National Title.

I’m looking around and wondering just what in the hell are these people seeing and thinking....... I believe I know what they want, but their chosen path to get there has been shown time and again not the way to get there. The most glaring example to me is what happened to the Dallas Cowboys after Jerry Jones and his billions bought the Cowboys.

......... hell, I’m just rambling, but I do see great change coming to the game over the next decade. In any event, during the Ohio State/Clemson game, towards the end of the game or maybe it was after the game was over, the TV guys showed a man sitting alone at the game. It was Urban Meyer....... I wonder just how much he said “No thanks” to during all these multi-million dollar buyouts. :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:12 pm

Urban is going to Jacksonville. Going to test the NFL waters.

I don't think that any of the schools care about the payouts. They don't pay them any way. The boosters and alumni who put pressure on the school to get rid of Herman in the first place are paying. That is the problem at Texas. They have too many cooks in the kitchen. Meyer wouldn't have taken that job anyway.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:53 pm

Spence wrote:Urban is going to Jacksonville. Going to test the NFL waters.

I don't think that any of the schools care about the payouts. They don't pay them any way. The boosters and alumni who put pressure on the school to get rid of Herman in the first place are paying. That is the problem at Texas. They have too many cooks in the kitchen. Meyer wouldn't have taken that job anyway.

I read an article in SI about Meyer and Jacksonville, seems they want him to coach Trever Lawrence and build a team around him......... and I couldn’t agree more with what you said about Texas. I’ve seen them up close and kept up with them since WVU joined the BIGXII and there’s been nothing special about the Longhorns during that time, and if you look back, there’s been nothing special about Longhorn Football since the days of Mack Brown and Vince Young....... and for whatever reason, they fired Mack Brown. :lol: :lol:

.......and they’re not out of the woods yet with this sudden termination of Herman, there appears that some of this years recruits feel they were mislead with assurances that Herman would remain as their Coach, and signed their National Letters of Intent on that assurance, and now that Herman has been fired, some recruits want out of their letters of intent. :roll:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... index.html

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:32 pm

Sark may want to let a few out of their signings. That woudl give him some more room to go after a few kids that he wants.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:59 pm

Yep...... and besides, in today’s college football world transferring is not an issue.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:42 pm

Auburn is a tough job because of the old boy big donor culture.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:47 pm

billybud wrote:Auburn is a tough job because of the old boy big donor culture.

As is Texas. They donors can’t keep their hands off the program. All schools have some of this, but those two are among the worst.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:52 am

Spence wrote:
billybud wrote:Auburn is a tough job because of the old boy big donor culture.

As is Texas. They donors can’t keep their hands off the program. All schools have some of this, but those two are among the worst.

Yep, some of these programs have purposely or inadvertently put a “For Sale” sign on their programs...... and now they’ve got the tail wagging the dog. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:26 pm

Ohio State has the same thing. It is just more organized. They have a board of regents who basically control all the athletic hiring. They include Les Wexner founder of limited brands and the McConnell family of Worthington steel. You don't have the big donors compete for position, access, or power. They tend to be work more together.

Return to “General Discussion”