CFP Championship Game

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

CFP Championship Game

Postby Mountainman » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:31 pm

Uh-oh........ there’s reporting the game may be impacted by COVID and possibly be played at a later date. :? :? :?
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: CFP Championship Game

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:15 pm

Yes, it appears a position group within Ohio State has some issues. I think they are going to play with who they have available. I think they should. If they wait until everyone is heathy, there may not be able to play around July.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:57 pm

I’m looking forward to watching a really good game, hopefully the virus won’t keep it from happening.

Spence, what in the dickins got into the Buckeyes for that Clemson game??? :shock:
I watched them play Northwestern and Indiana this season and they didn’t look anything like what I saw against Clemson....... have they had players out????? I mean there was a big difference.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:13 pm

Mountainman wrote:I’m looking forward to watching a really good game, hopefully the virus won’t keep it from happening.

Spence, what in the dickins got into the Buckeyes for that Clemson game??? :shock:
I watched them play Northwestern and Indiana this season and they didn’t look anything like what I saw against Clemson....... have they had players out????? I mean there was a big difference.

I think that Clemson and the ACC in general wasn't as good as we thought. The B1G, we thought was bad because Penn State, Michigan, and Wisconsin weren't very good. Maybe Northwesten and Indiana (with Penix) was better that we believed. I think it all has to do with our bias, same as the committee and sports writers. We think if Penn State, Michigan, Wisky, and Michigan State are beating up on Indiana, Rutgers, Minnesota, and Purdue that the B1G is strong. It is not always the case.

I still think that Alabama will torch Ohio State's secondary. They aren't very good right now and that isn't subjective, it is a fact. Clemson's OL couldn't deal with Ohio State's DL, same with Ohio State's OL to Clemson's DL. That was the difference in the game. Clemson's skill players are every bit as good as any in the country. Also, Ohio State got going down hill on Clemson and it snowballed. They could play next week and it could go to the wire. Perfect storm.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:38 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:I’m looking forward to watching a really good game, hopefully the virus won’t keep it from happening.

I think that Clemson and the ACC in general wasn't as good as we thought. The B1G, we thought was bad because Penn State, Michigan, and Wisconsin weren't very good. Maybe Northwesten and Indiana (with Penix) was better that we believed. I think it all has to do with our bias, same as the committee and sports writers. We think if Penn State, Michigan, Wisky, and Michigan State are beating up on Indiana, Rutgers, Minnesota, and Purdue that the B1G is strong. It is not always the case.

I still think that Alabama will torch Ohio State's secondary. They aren't very good right now and that isn't subjective, it is a fact. Clemson's OL couldn't deal with Ohio State's DL, same with Ohio State's OL to Clemson's DL. That was the difference in the game. Clemson's skill players are every bit as good as any in the country. Also, Ohio State got going down hill on Clemson and it snowballed. They could play next week and it could go to the wire. Perfect storm.

Yep, I think you’ve got it right, perception maybe be reality in the stands and in the media world, but perception is not reality on a football field. The line play on both sides of the ball was the difference in the game. I found out later that the Buckeyes had COVID protocol issues along their lines during this season, even to the point to where in one instance 3 of the 5 starters on the O-line were out. I’ll say this, when those linemen on both sides of the ball got well, they rained hell on the Clemson fronts. 8)

I’m really looking forward to watching this game, I want to see how the Buckeyes defense goes about defending that wicked RPO offense the Tide runs as good as I’ve ever seen it run. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:18 pm

There have been covid protocols in place for every position group at some point during the season. Everyone has to deal with it though so it has been like that for other teams too. The B10's 19 day rule for contact tracing has made things the hardest. No other conference has it and considering that the B1G teams have had at least as many issues as everyone else, it doesn't seem to help.

I don't see Ohio State doing well in this game unless the defensive line completely dominates Bama in the same fashion as they did Clemson. I have been hearing talk that Ohio State may be without a whole position group in the championship game. I don't know what that group is, but I am sure that this defense isn't good enough to hang with Alabama at less than full strength. I don't think even at full strength that the backfield is good enough, especially if Bama's OL holds up pretty well. Offensively, if Justin Fields is relatively heathy, Ohio State should be fine. I believe the Buckeye offense is as good as anyone, but the offense doesn't match up against Bama's offense.

Honestly, as I said before Clemson, who knows how good anyone is this year. There is literally no outside reference other than the bowls and with all the opt outs that isn't a good comparision. I don't have a good read on anyone except I know what Ohio State's deficiencies are and that is what I use to judge them against everyone else. That works better in conference than out. Especially this year.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:07 am

They are saying that there will be some more players who were available in the semi that won't be available for the championship game. They haven't said if they are starters or not. This will be Ohio State's 8th game in a row where they don't have their full compliment of players.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:53 am

Many, if not most teams, have not had a full compliment for games...FSU only had 40 scholarship players available with a vacant position group for one game...

Some coaches have been out..Clemson did not have their ace play caller available for the CFP..he was out with Covid

Teams have had to have floating rosters...FSU had to play 7 true freshman extensively...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:36 pm

billybud wrote:Many, if not most teams, have not had a full compliment for games...FSU only had 40 scholarship players available with a vacant position group for one game...

Some coaches have been out..Clemson did not have their ace play caller available for the CFP..he was out with Covid

Teams have had to have floating rosters...FSU had to play 7 true freshman extensively...

I know. It is something everyone has had to deal with this year. Ohio State was without several coach including Ryan Day at least one game this year. Larry Johnson filled in for him. We already had 16 out, though, and I was hoping that we weren't going to lose anyone from last week. You have to play the cards you are dealt. Last time we played Alabama we were down to the 3rd string QB - we did have Zeke Elliot and Devin Smith though.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:28 pm

Spence wrote:
billybud wrote:Many, if not most teams, have not had a full compliment for games...FSU only had 40 scholarship players available with a vacant position group for one game...

I know. It is something everyone has had to deal with this year. Ohio State was without several coach including Ryan Day at least one game this year. Larry Johnson filled in for him. We already had 16 out, though, and I was hoping that we weren't going to lose anyone from last week. You have to play the cards you are dealt. Last time we played Alabama we were down to the 3rd string QB - we did have Zeke Elliot and Devin Smith though.

Oh Boy......... here we go again. I got this from ‘Full Ride’, a sports talk show on Sirius Radio, I believe the guy who broke the story was Mike Patrick, but I’m not certain about that. It was reported that neither Ohio State or Alabama have made any requests to postpone the championship game. Instead, the report said that the Commissioner of the BIG10 has contacted the Commissioner of the SEC to discuss the ‘possibility’, and neither commissioner has approached any other entity about the possibility. Also mentioned, and noteworthy, was that the BIG10 and the SEC have DIFFERENT METRICS for determining how many players a team must have in order to field a team. We’ll see....... :roll: :roll: :roll:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:26 pm

Roster minimums required to play a game could be another sticking point. The SEC, Big 12 and Pac-12 require 53 scholarship players to play. That list must include seven offensive linemen, four interior defensive linemen and one quarterback. Teams can still decide to play on their own if they fall below that 53-player threshold.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:37 pm

Gene Smith has said all week that Ohio State is going to play, he knows the extent of the spread on the team. We really don't, except for rumors. They don't release the infomation. Right now it isn't the positives that are hurting Ohio State it is the contact tracing. The Buckeyes did play a game with 55 active this year. That is pretty close to the threshold, I don't believe that is an issue in this game. Ohio State is probably going to be without 25 or so.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:38 pm

As a fan of the game, I would prefer and like to see both teams at full strength and for the play on the field and the breaks of the game determine the winner........ so I wouldn’t mind if the game was postponed for a week, BUT, there’s a potential problem in doing so, and that is there would be no guarantee that COVID or COVID protocols would not rear their ugly heads yet again.

So, the powers that be simply need to make a decision. 8) 8) 8)

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:38 am

billybud wrote:Roster minimums required to play a game could be another sticking point. The SEC, Big 12 and Pac-12 require 53 scholarship players to play. That list must include seven offensive linemen, four interior defensive linemen and one quarterback. Teams can still decide to play on their own if they fall below that 53-player threshold.

Did NOT know this!! :o
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:52 am

Ryan Day says ....... 8)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... ame-monday

Oops, I mentioned in an earlier post that Mike Patrick, a former play by play announcer and ole native West Virginia guy, broke a story about the game may be postponed, it was Dan Patrick who broke the original story about possible postponement......... just another BRAIN FART on my part. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Return to “General Discussion”