Watching with interest the goings on in College Football

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Watching with interest the goings on in College Football

Postby Mountainman » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:03 pm

........ especially with the NIL and Transfer Portal. IMHO these are huge changes to the game I grew up with and have been a BIG FAN of for many years. I am hopeful the environment these things creates does not dampen the appeal and enthusiasm of the game to me since I’m not sure I’m not a square peg that won’t quite fit in this round hole being created. :?
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Watching with interest the goings on in College Football

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:47 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

I find myself in agreement with this sentiment ...

The media has done their best to devalue the Bowl games, to push the Tournament. It's cause even the Major Bowls to be less likeable if they aren't in their playoff rotation year.

Guys declaring for the draft, while opting out of the game, cheapens the experience for the viewer.

However, on the flip side of that. Regarding many of the smaller, non-Power5 bowl invitationals; you actually get a great stock, since the majority of these kids will not be headed to the pros. Their Bowl is their last game. And you're going to get the best possible effort out of them.

Unfortunately, though. The espns of the world are doing their best to eradicate these games.

Hey, maybe we should flip their politics back on them --- Start an, Eliminating the Bowl Games is big media's White Supremacy.

Wonder how well they'd take that.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:51 pm

I have little confidence in the NCAA or the conferences to do much about these issues, but if it were me I would simply say, ‘OK, but our conference or my team is not going to accept any portal transfers and would not support any NIL effort, meaning if a player wants to sell their NIL then the player can do so with no support or endorsement by the conference or team, so have at it ladies and gentlemen.’ 8) 8) 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:54 pm

The problem I see with Image and likeness is that the big schools from the big cities can pay a lot for bringing in kids and that is a form of recruiting that is unfair. I don't have a problem with the kids earning money from their image or likeness. I just don't know how it can be handled without making it a recruiting tool for the big schools. Of course a lot of this has been done for years under the table. Maybe they are just bring it out in the open.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:49 am

The group I have yet to hear from are the Coach’s Associations....... it’ll be interesting to see how the Coaches deal with these issues. 8)

The University Presidents haven’t shown the backbone to demand academic performance, while the NCAA has let a gob of KNOWN AND PROVEN violation just slide on by or with imposed slap on the wrist penalties....... the Coaches can put a stop to this stuff, we’ll see. :roll: :roll: :roll:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:11 pm

If ESPN didn't support 17 bowls...many that became unprofitable to operate now that butts in seats have been declining...we wouldn't have those bowl games.

The times have been a changin'...we lament old ways and resist new. But the days of community organizations supporting bowls was getting short. Everybody got greedy...and wanted a bowl game....So 70 teams were going to bowl games...But the value was in TV viewing, not 9,000 in the stands. Bowls like the Miami Bowl were going to get dumped...but ESPN stepped up.

Sure, ESPN has snapped up bowls like Monopoly hotels, but who else is there? Bowls are TV events, like March Madness......

Folks love to hate ESPN...but love to watch the games...I tire of their whining....just unhook, vote with your eyeballs, and only watch games from the stadium.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:22 am

If the NCAA meets its demise it will come from within. The issues it’s facing are a consequence of the behavior and deeds of its member schools and conferences. :roll: :roll:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:55 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ignoring what espn's attitude towards these bowl games makes the whole perspective null ...

Sure, espn scarfed up a bunch of bowl games. But they were always pushing for a playoff, and pushing to distance the lower tier games from those playing for the New Year's 6.

There was a heyday for bowl extravaganza. That has passed, true. But pretending espn didn't have their hands in it is either being oblivious or deliberate.

When espn outbids the other broadcasters for the bowl rights, and goes into a multi-year exclusive contract, tuning out gives them the excuse they need to pull the plug themselves.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:36 pm

Just do not watch ESPN...

Vote....but don't wring hands while enjoying broadcasts...

Me? I appreciate that ESPN has created a bowl that is a defacto HBCU Championship...that they televise so many bowls with teams that I ordinarily would not watch...

Games like North Texas vs Appalachian State, Nevada-Tulane, Buffalo-Marshall, Georgia State-Western Kentucky...and on.

If anybody else wanted to broadcast those games, I think that they could have...low profit games.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:42 am

Here’s a little more data to ponder when trying to decide one’s position on the goings on in College Football...... along with the ‘Corporate Influence’ Cane and Billybud are discussing. And btw,, the assistant coaches salary data is available too. 8) 8) 8)

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/#

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:54 pm

billybud wrote:Just do not watch ESPN...

Cane from the Bend wrote: tuning out gives them the excuse they need to pull the plug themselves.

Not sure how one can make it more clear than that.

As I said, they are trying to snuff the product of lower bowl games. Just listen to the commentary if you like watching them so much.

Everything that they pushed for, they eventually manifested it. They aren't giving you their opinions. They are conditioning you to accept what they are going to be offering you in the future.

How many times have you heard the talking heads tell you there are too many bowl games?

That's not by accident. That's by design. It's on cue.

The people in the booth, rarely go off script. The conversation, not about the game on the field, is almost always a production piece.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:10 am

Mountainman wrote:Here’s a little more data to ponder when trying to decide one’s position on the goings on in College Football...... along with the ‘Corporate Influence’ Cane and Billybud are discussing. And btw,, the assistant coaches salary data is available too. 8) 8) 8)

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/#

I wouldn't have guessed Malzahn was getting $6.9 million. I guess the return on that investment wasn't ideal.

I hope they get their monies worth out of Harsin.

That $8 million buyout from Boise, with the $21.4 million buyout to get rid of of Gus makes one wonder just what their priority actually is.

A larger winning purse, or a temporary satiation of the supporter base.

I also wouldn't have gathered Patterson at $6 million. Though, them Texans do indeed Love their football.

Herman's buyout was $15 million, where he was in the same bracket annually as Patterson.

So I assume thecolor of Yellow Rose in Sark's vase is Gold. He'll be receiving $34.2 million in base pay over the length of a six-year contract, $675,000 in performance incentives, with $100K for winning national coach of the year and $50K for winning conference coach of the year.

If kept full term [in this climate of microscopic firing who can tell], his annual salary with increase will amount:

2021 = $5.2 million
2022 = $5.4 million
2023 = $5.6 million
2024 = $5.8 million
2025 = $6 million
2026 = $6.2 million

Though; if he performs well enough to challenge the National Crown, I'd expect the number to be renegotiated to match, or at least average, between the top 8.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:05 am

What I’m trying to get is an idea of is just what the NIL market would be. Would it be local, regional, national and how many dollars would be involved and how many players would be involved....... I’ve seen where there are 400-500 in the transfer portal for football, and over 1000 in the portal for basketball. Those numbers cause me to believe these ‘goings on s’ are going to have a considerable impact. And I’m not sure what the net impact would be. 8) 8) 8) 8)

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:28 am

Talking heads repeat public opinion...and the public has said..."there are too many bowl games"...

We have said it on this board...we reminisce about the days when going to a bowl game meant something other than..."well, you didn't actually lose more than you won".

For 2020 and beyond, the NCAA recently approved a possible expansion to as many as 86 teams in 44 postseason games, including the national championship. That means nearly two-thirds of all major-college football teams could earn a participation trophy in the form of a bowl berth.

The NCAA consensus recently was to try to accommodate all teams with records of 6-6 or better. This year, there were more eligible teams (82) than bowl slots (78), leaving four teams unhappy and showing room for more bowl games. The NCAA based its approval of an expanded bowl system on the number of bowl-eligible teams in each of the 10 major conferences over the previous four years, plus independent schools. In some years, more teams with 5-7 records might get into bowl games, as they have in the past.

BUT...we do watch those bowls...the lesser bowls like Appalachian State vs North Texas and the Mobile Bowl with Western Kentucky vs Georgia Southern, had more viewers than regular season games like K State-Baylor, UCLA-Stanford, Rutgers-Purdue, Baylor-Iowa St., Duke-UNC etc.

“What does it ultimately matter if there’s quote-unquote too many games?” Overby said of the perception by some that there’s a glut of bowl games. “As long as there’s interest and people want to play in them, and there’s a perceived value, then really it’s a net positive for the sport. The number of games is really not the issue.”

“ESPN looks at bowls as a highly profitable venture,” former CBS Sports president Neal Pilson told USA TODAY. “They can get better ratings with a (lower-tier) bowl game than they can get with maybe just another college basketball game.”

ESPN profits from the bowls...small bowl included....ESPN will support them until they are profit drainers....

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:29 am

Talking heads repeat public opinion...and the public has said..."there are too many bowl games"...

We have said it on this board...we reminisce about the days when going to a bowl game meant something other than..."well, you didn't actually lose more than you won".

For 2020 and beyond, the NCAA recently approved a possible expansion to as many as 86 teams in 44 postseason games, including the national championship. That means nearly two-thirds of all major-college football teams could earn a participation trophy in the form of a bowl berth.

The NCAA consensus recently was to try to accommodate all teams with records of 6-6 or better. This year, there were more eligible teams (82) than bowl slots (78), leaving four teams unhappy and showing room for more bowl games. The NCAA based its approval of an expanded bowl system on the number of bowl-eligible teams in each of the 10 major conferences over the previous four years, plus independent schools. In some years, more teams with 5-7 records might get into bowl games, as they have in the past.

BUT...we do watch those bowls...the lesser bowls like Appalachian State vs North Texas and the Mobile Bowl with Western Kentucky vs Georgia Southern, had more viewers than regular season games like K State-Baylor, UCLA-Stanford, Rutgers-Purdue, Baylor-Iowa St., Duke-UNC etc.

“What does it ultimately matter if there’s quote-unquote too many games?” Overby said of the perception by some that there’s a glut of bowl games. “As long as there’s interest and people want to play in them, and there’s a perceived value, then really it’s a net positive for the sport. The number of games is really not the issue.”

“ESPN looks at bowls as a highly profitable venture,” former CBS Sports president Neal Pilson told USA TODAY. “They can get better ratings with a (lower-tier) bowl game than they can get with maybe just another college basketball game.”

ESPN profits from the bowls...small bowl included....ESPN will support them until they are profit drainers....

Return to “General Discussion”