Spring Is Here ...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Spring Is Here ...

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:33 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

Spence, did you get to see, or tivo the Buckeyes?

How are the restrictions going in those parts? Are you back to coaching, or yet in stasis?

Also, just curious, if you know. What's the reasoning for the zero tackle, touch only game for OSU?

Miami's game was today, as well ...

I like how the O-Line was able to adjust to the pressure. When the blitzing began, the protection held ground. And I do mean the ground at the point of contact. They didn't get into the backfield, or push the line to arch any. Cam Harris [or running back] stuck the Linebackers on the pass rush.

Dee Wiggins & Mark Pope are really what we know they were. Still dropping passes. They caught some decent grabs in the second half. But simply did nothing to help the offense in the the first 2 quarters. Some guys are just better as decoy, or backup. And I hope Lashlee has it in him to sit these guys. It's been 4 years, and the improvement isn't showing. Next man up.

As for QB play ...

It was nice to have King being a part of the planning. It shows his character, and desire for success.

He didn't play, but he was play calling from the QB position in the 4th quarter.

Jake Garcia!

Is everything he's been advertised as being.

His Mobility in the pocket, vision, keeping his shoulders angled to throw down field when pressured. And an accurate arm. We may have the best prospect at this position since maybe Robert Morris.

Overall, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

I'd like to see some more development with the Defensive Back group. However, the team does feel like it is building.

Mountainman; the Gold-Blue game is set for next week.

What are you hoping to gleam from the `Eers on the 24th [other than competency]?

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Spring Is Here ...

Postby Mountainman » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:49 pm

Hey Cane, WVU’s Spring Game is next weekend the 24th. Couple of things I’ll be watching are the defensive secondary, as the transfer portal got a couple of good ones, and the quarterback play. Dodge returns after starting last season, but there’s there’s a new kid on the block, Garret Greene a redshirt freshman who reportedly can throw and run. I’ll take it all in and keep an eye on the kicking game. :wink: :wink: :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:51 pm

I saw the spring game on tv. I didn’t try to go. I am back to coaching. We built a really nice indoor facility for the kids and we have also had three college mens and two college women’s teams also coming into practice during the winter months. (That is how we pay for up keep)

I really never quit coaching this winter except for the 30 day dead period after the season. I am hoping the extra work pays off this fall. Right now i am not seeing the growth, but we still have three months until we actually start the season.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon May 10, 2021 4:36 pm

43,000 attended the Bama spring scrimmage....numbers down a little this spring...

But still...43,000
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon May 10, 2021 6:29 pm

Ohio State was at the allowed capacity. It wasn’t very many people.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue May 11, 2021 2:57 pm

I didn’t see WVU’s Spring Game, so all I have is what was reported. Coach Brown seemed pleased and the players were upbeat, although one player who saw considerable playing time last season entered the transfer portal after the game. No reason given that I saw, so maybe he didn’t like what he saw……. :lol:

I’ll just have wait till after the opener against Maryland to have some idea about what to expect this coming season.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Return to “General Discussion”