6--8--10--12--16

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: 6--8--10--12--16

Postby billybud » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:41 pm

All this whining about football and politics...Whiners always whine...about politics, conspiracy, cartels.

It's not politics...it is football programs who have spent 100s of millions building up programs over decades...building up tradition and alumni/donor bases....building their business.

And the lesser programs who do not have that base will cry.."wah!!! What about us?" The answer...take a few decades, build a base, build a program...

THe fiction has always been that in a field of 122 programs, that all are competing for the same prize. Talent and football power are concentrated within a small sample of those teams.

Yes...Bezos has built a monster at Amazon...and Sam Walton with Walmart...but jeez...it isn't fair...think of the small guys. It's politics I tell you, got to nip it in the bud.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:47 pm

Or we could distribute money a new American way....instead of sending out free money in federal checks...let's make it more competitive.

Announce, in every county, a place and time for the needy to gather...kick money out of helicopters and let folks scramble for it.

Donovan..miss you bud...my rants were always a measure of yours...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:12 pm

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:55 pm

billybud wrote:All this whining about football and politics...Whiners always whine...about politics, conspiracy, cartels.

It's not politics...it is football programs who have spent 100s of millions building up programs over decades...building up tradition and alumni/donor bases....building their business.

And the lesser programs who do not have that base will cry.."wah!!! What about us?" The answer...take a few decades, build a base, build a program...

THe fiction has always been that in a field of 122 programs, that all are competing for the same prize. Talent and football power are concentrated within a small sample of those teams.

Yes...Bezos has built a monster at Amazon...and Sam Walton with Walmart...but jeez...it isn't fair...think of the small guys. It's politics I tell you, got to nip it in the bud.

I agree that the larger programs are better programs. I just don't believe that since the others don't have that same money and power they don't deserve a change to prove themselves. Of course they aren't going to get the same position at the table as Alabama, but if they are going to belong to the same division, then they have every right to compete for a title. Bezo's controlls the online retail and delivery world, but Spence still has the right to start up and compete with him and if I have a good business model and do things the right way, I will have a chance to own my piece of that world. Maybe take down the monster if I do things better and more efficient. That isn't the case in CFB. As we speak there are less than 20 teams that have a legitimate shot at the title and there is nothing the other 102 teams can do to change that this season. That is wrong IMO.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:05 am

Sure Spence...

There is a reason there is an FCS.... And a reason that fighters are welter weights and heavy weights, and stock cars must be built identical standards and must pass rigid inspections . FBS should be divided.

Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, etc...are not in the same league as Ball State, UMass, Toledo, Akron, ODU.

And it is ridiculous to pretend that they are all competing for the same national championship.

Let me get my clubs out of the closet and play for the green jacket...I'd have a chance....right?

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:05 am

Ohio State has more five star 20222 commitments than the Big 12, Pac 12, CUSA, MAC, MWC, American conferences....all combined.

If you want a level playing field...restrict Ohio State's intake of high level athletes.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:58 pm

National Title????? Someone is missing the boat if they think that….. guess they’ll catch up eventually, Uh maybe. :roll: :roll: :roll:

This ain’t about no National Title……. :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://youtu.be/TuQC5hhhqkY
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:49 pm

If it's money...than do it the old fashioned way....

Earn the frickin' money....build a school over decades, build a program over decades....don't throw up a sidewalk lemonade stand and cry that McDonalds makes more money.

I think, as well, that someone has indeed missed the boat, can't find the pier, and is wandering around Iowa looking for the ocean.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:50 pm

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:57 pm

No question about it being the money and the only ocean I’ve seen in Iowa is full of cornstalks……. But in any event, I don’t know of any “schools” or “football programs” Las Vegas has built over the decades.

8) 8) 8)

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:00 am

Huh? What a non sequitor. Do not follow your thought.

Of course Vegas doesn't build programs but they are really good about judging relative strength...the Vegas favorite is really predictive of who will win straight up.

An underdog of just 7 points has won 29,58% of the games. When Vegas calls a 7 point favorite, that team wins 70% of the time.

An underdog of 14 points has won 14.26% of the games.

Vegas analysts/odd setters have a pretty darn good idea how teams match up and who are the strongerest. And have a strong record over time.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:53 pm

The odds of winning and who wins is kind of a self fulfulling prophecy. it is easy to argue that those 6 or 7 schools at the top are better - and they very well could be, but also they are generally the teams designated as the best so if Oklahoma loses to Iowa State that doesn't boost Iowa State as much as it deflates Oklahoma. If Texas, on the other hand, beats Oklahoma and stays undefeated they are elevated. Based on nothing but past history. So it isn't a level playing field in that respect. Sure the top group is better than the MAC, but I would submit that Indiana could beat Ohio State, Penn State, and Wisconsin in the same year and people would say the B1G is down, not that Indiana is good. That makes no sense to me. It would happen that way even if Indiana had a good OOC resume that year. So It isn't really about the actual team's strength, it is about the strength of the program. How much power they wield nationally. I am not sure the football has much to do with it.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”