“Change is in the Air” ~ Dennis Dodd

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

“Change is in the Air” ~ Dennis Dodd

Postby Mountainman » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:14 pm

Here’s a look at Dodd’s thoughts and perspective…….. 8) 8) 8)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... t-fallout/
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: “Change is in the Air” ~ Dennis Dodd

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:08 am

--------------------------------------------------------------

College Football Playoffs aren't the only changes that could be in the air ...

Texas and Oklahoma have reached out to the SEC for membership.

SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey would not report on the topic at SEC media days. When asked about it, he gave that time old tell ... "No Comment on that speculation".

Word is, that Texas & Oklahoma could be announced as SEC members in a few short weeks.

Not sure the Big XII could keep its Power5 status with this change.

Does West Va go to the ACC then? Could this force ND's hand, and push them into the ACC full schedule?

Those 16 team super conferences look like a much broader reality now, than they have ever before.

If the Big 2 go South East, then what? Four go west, Two to the Midwest?

Does Texas Tech find themselves in a landfill? Who gets dumped with them?

What was that Mountainman?

Mountainman wrote:........ especially with the NIL and Transfer Portal. IMHO these are huge changes to the game I grew up with and have been a BIG FAN of for many years. I am hopeful the environment these things creates does not dampen the appeal and enthusiasm of the game to me since I’m not sure I’m not a square peg that won’t quite fit in this round hole being created. :?

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:25 am

I don’t know how this thing is going to end up looking……… right now I can’t say with any shred of certainty if the hole is getting rounder or if the hole is becoming a smaller square. But I must say I’m one of those guys who if I don’t like a movie I won’t hesitate to simply get-up and leave and take my popcorn with me. I’m guessing access to the expanded CFP is the driver behind this. 8) 8) 8)

………and I read where there’s 160 million in TV Rights Dollars if TX&Okie sneak out the back door to be divided up between the remaining conference members so have at it. From what I’ve seen over the past decade is that Oklahoma will be competitive in the SEC, but Texas hasn’t shown much other than big wallet since the Mountaineers have been a member of the Big XII. Although, by the time he lawyers get through with it I suspect the payout of TV Rights Dollars would be less simply because Texas and Oklahoma have just shown they cannot be trusted. :roll: :roll: :roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:55 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

I believe it is all money, and quite a bit to do with NIL ...

Take Texas & Oklahoma out of the Big XII, and you essentially nullify any potential value the conference holds, with national brand recognition.

Add Texas & Oklahoma to the SEC, and watch endorsement share skyrocket.

The recruits will head in one direction, and the state of Texas will be the pipeline of the SEC.

The only other destinations that could stride step for step as a market region, are the South Florida era and Los Angeles. They have strong marketing economies. To some extent, you could say New York. Though, other than Syracuse, what have you on the north eastern seaboard? But they are primarily focused on basketball, not football.

If the Big 10 were smart, they would strike a coup with the money schools of the ACC. Propose a merger, to retaliate, by absorbing Miami, FSU, Clemson, Ga Tech & Boston College, which would effectively necessitate ND into a full member agreement, creating the 20 team mega conference that we know is likely to happen eventually, anyhow.

Otherwise, all the power base, with controlling share, is going to land in the South East.

You could have three 20 team conferences, if the Pac were to somehow collect a viable 8 more. But what would that even look like.

It would create a scenario, where a 12 team play off could be triangled, espousing 4 teams from each conference, the top 4 still get their bye; whereas the lower hold the 1rst round.

You'd think they would want 4 mega conferences for that, so they could gives the byes to the Conference Champions. Then the runners up would playoff for inclusion in the semis.

Regardless ... it all looks contrived. Becoming harder to be enthusiastic about.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:00 am

Yep, with the new Transfer Rules, the NIL, the expansion of the CFP, the recent Supreme Court Ruling along with the shot the Consent Option gave about any future antitrust cases being brought before the court have crippled the NCAA as a governing body.

In any event, to me conference realignment is inevitable and will happen sooner or later. Hopefully they’ll get it closer to being right this time around and for the right reasons, as opposed to the last go around when realignment was driven by TV sets. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:43 pm

Predictable:

https://www.si.com/college/ucla/news/re ... -12-merger

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:30 pm

None of this would be happening now if the NCAA hadn't impossed Draconian rules on the kids while also being a huge shield for the schools who were the ones to blame for the rule breaking in the beginning.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:29 pm

Spence wrote:None of this would be happening now if the NCAA hadn't impossed Draconian rules on the kids while also being a huge shield for the schools who were the ones to blame for the rule breaking in the beginning.

I agree, the schools with their greed, the NCAA posing as a governing body while hiding it’s puppet strings, the media Networks buying their way into the decisioning making of College Football, who are now facing competition, not only between themselves, but a new media player in streaming, have all been contributors to what’s happening…….. that leaves one, and only one, group that can put a stop to this power and money grab to return College Football to the game it once was…….. and that’s the fans. 8) 8) 8)

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:29 am

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:None of this would be happening now if the NCAA hadn't impossed Draconian rules on the kids while also being a huge shield for the schools who were the ones to blame for the rule breaking in the beginning.

I agree, the schools with their greed, the NCAA posing as a governing body while hiding it’s puppet strings, the media Networks buying their way into the decisioning making of College Football, who are now facing competition, not only between themselves, but a new media player in streaming, have all been contributors to what’s happening…….. that leaves one, and only one, group that can put a stop to this power and money grab to return College Football to the game it once was…….. and that’s the fans. 8) 8) 8)

Now there are two possibilities ...

(1.) the SEC is trying to suffocate every conference and limit the viable numbers of potential market competitors
(2.) this is all a smokescreen, and every Power5 is merging into a whole new division that cuts the lower tier off

If there is also a reach out west, at all, then the smoke is yesterday's news, as we're standing in the flames.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/oh ... rida-state

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:51 am

SEC is doing what is best for the SEC. Texas is a huge TV draw. Oklahoma is a good brand to bring into the fold. That should give the SEC good negotiating power for their next tv deal. That is what it is all about. Honestly, the SEC has did the best job of building their brand the last 20 years. I'm not sure the guy leading the B10 right now knows that the B1G has football.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:59 am

Big XII pushes back…… reportedly ESPN owes the conference 1.06 billion in rights fees through 2025 and both Texas and Oklahoma would owe 80 million each in exits fees if they leave, BUT, all those dollars go away IF the Big XII would happen to dissolve. As well as, I’ve ‘heard’ these TV Contracts have language that both FOX and ESPN can reduce these “Rights” payments IF teams leave the conferences, if so, there’s why we’re hearing about conspiracies from Bowlsby……… I cannot help but wonder just what the legal fees are going to be during this?…. 8) 8) 8)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... onference/

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:33 pm

Today’s reporting of the BigXII allegations:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... g-for-sec/

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:15 pm

So, here is what I believe is really happening ...

ESPN will have the exclusive rights to the SEC, once the CBS contract expires.

ESPN is trying to force a situation where the playoffs will remain theirs exclusively.

ESPN is driving a nail in the coffin of the Big XII [and has been for several years now], by doing behind the scenes deals with external entities of College Football.

They were the ones who pushed & pushed for this NIL. They eviscerated the NCAA for years, which looks to be at the end of its life cycle.

Streaming services are on the rise, and ESPN wants to preempt any move to other platforms these conferences might have, by offering all the goods up in the immediate sense.

Truth is, there is bigger money to be had by all, away from the espn coffers. ESPN knows this, and is doing its best to prevent the powers that be from making that a reality.

They do not want to have the biggest share of the sport, they want to have exclusive rights to it. And the conference heads haven't played the field enough to relaize, taking all the money offered them up front is actually a bad move.

If things keep progressing in this direction, then the best thing for College Football would be to tell the SEC, congratulations, you've acquired 20 teams. Now the rest of us are going to have our season without you.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:59 pm

ESPN just covers games, they don't dictate anything. Just like their parent doesn't try to control the narrative in this country. :roll:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:09 pm

I can point you to some great sites for conspiracy...they have covered the child sex trafficling out of a pizza parlor, the cabal of cannibalistic child molesters who are seeking world domination, the stolen election...they broke the news that the vaccine made you magnetic, changed your DNA and made you susceptible to government mind control.

Sadly, they have missed sports conspiracies.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Return to “General Discussion”