Putting on the Breaks……. Thank you, I Just Knew There Just Had To Be At Least SOMEONE With A Brain

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Putting on the Breaks……. Thank you, I Just Knew There Just Had To Be At Least SOMEONE With A Brain

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:04 am

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Putting on the Breaks……. Thank you, I Just Knew There Just Had To Be At Least SOMEONE With A Brain

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:09 pm

From the article; to wit my previous points ---

The financial gain for having an outsized competitive advantage in a 12-team playoff would seemingly be minimal. Under the current contract, each Power Five conference gets $66 million per year from the CFP. Conferences get $6 million in additional funds for each semifinal berth and $4 million for a New Year's Six bowl berth.

What's of greater concern is a possible reshaping of college sports overseen by SEC and ESPN.

Precisely what I was referring to.

ESPN's interest are in controlling the sport itself. And if the reports about the AAC looking to poach teams from the Big XII, with the encouragement from espn, you can see how they are attempting a coup d'état.

If the Big XII ceases to exist, the power shifts dramatically South East. ESPN's exclusive deal with the SEC gives them all the leverage.

With only 4 Power Conferences, especially then ---

As proposed, an expanded playoff would include the top six ranked conference champions with no automatic bids. The top four ranked teams would receive first-round byes.

However, Sankey has raised the idea of accepting the 12 best teams, regardless of conference titles.

"Should we just say the 12 best teams?" Sankey proposed. "I've been asked that by our own membership."

U-huh ... I bet he has.

Eliminating a conference, also reduces the number of Power Conference teams that would get consideration.

The SEC + 2 [with Texas & Oklahoma]
The Rest of the FBS - 8 [with no Big XII] ---

Under the current contract, each Power Five conference gets $66 million per year from the CFP. Conferences get $6 million in additional funds for each semifinal berth and $4 million for a New Year's Six bowl berth.

Yup, and where do we expect that money value to land. Because that's $66 million that doesn't get paid out if the Big XII doesn't exist. $6 million more per extra SEC team.

And just about the only cards left to play at the table by everyone else ---

Per the CFP, it would take a unanimous vote of the conferences to approve playoff expansion. Could one conference refusing to play along scuttle the entire plan?

"We manage by unanimous consent, but it isn't going to fall apart on that basis, I don't think," Bowlsby said. "I don't think people want to have a situation where most of the strength is in one area."

Now, what would the playoff with the Strongest Conference be worth, it they were the only teams participating, while all others go play for their own title?

And, espn is feeling the pressure elsewhere ---

However, as one administrator pointed out, it's a complete unknown what the media rights landscape will look like in five years. The general assumption is that the CFP will double in value to $1 billion per season. That could skyrocket with multiple bidders in the mix, including streaming services.

"Streaming is the future," Kliavkoff said.

If the contract were open to bid, it could further be maximized by placing each level of the playoff on a different network.

Which is why Disney is attempting to shell out the cash now, with impressive numbers. Enamor the conference commissioners with savory digits, and hope they buy in, before they realize the is fresher, wider, deeper water available on other, yet to be explored platforms.

ESPN ratings have been taking a hit, in recent years. With the next annual subscriber count estimated to fall another 25% in the next cycle.
[and that is a conservative percentile]

ESPN still makes their money, however, by raising their rates, while consumers of Cable/Dish services have no option to cut them from their bills. In fact, espn makes most of their money off of Cable Subscriptions from people who are not considered viewers. The majority of Cable Channels cost between $0.35 to $0.60 per month. However, espn charges between $3.00 to $5.00 per Cable package. And in the overwhelming majority of these regions, the Paid TV Networks have little to no competition, so espn can charge what they want, making nearly $600 million a month off of people who never tune in to watch a single minute of their broadcasting.

With Streaming Services, you generally have the option to pick and choose what content you'll be paying for. So espn is in a hurry to lock in contracts before membership conferences take their ball to play on another field.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Putting on the Breaks……. Thank you, I Just Knew There Just Had To Be At Least SOMEONE With A Brain

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:06 pm

Yep, you called it……………. smart and insightful guy, our man from the Land of the Irish……..

8) 8) 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:37 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I won't take all the credit for the perceived content ...

Spence & Donovan always said, just follow the money.

I merely saw the exterior, and decided to take a look behind the wizards curtain.

The money chain trails from Disney's front porch, to the doorsteps of University Affiliates.

With Bowlsby's comments about outside poaching by other conferences, at the behest of the House of Mouse, one has to wonder how many of these decisions have been made by the broadcaster, while publicly condemning it all.

I saw one ---Analyst--- say on air, "The revenue sharing needs to find its way to the athletes", when referring to the new playoff construct.

That's a straight up pay for play sentiment. Which shows what they really are pushing for is a minor league.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:06 am

In a world rapidly moving to streaming and viewer choice..."markets" and linear channels are less important than games that draw actual viewers.

As you guys are aware, I have always maintained that people watch marquis match ups. Brands.

The SEC has cornered major brands...Texas-LSU and Oklahoma-Alabama is of more interest than Indiana-Wisconsin or Wake Forest-Georgia Tech.

ESPN has been evolving and the handwriting was on the wall when CBS had been paying the SEC $55 million per year for the one SEC Game of the Week.....and ESPN upped that to $300 million...

That one SEC game costs them almost what the whole year of ACC games does.

ESPN will have what amounts to NFL Saturdays.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:06 am

In a world rapidly moving to streaming and viewer choice..."markets" and linear channels are less important than games that draw actual viewers.

As you guys are aware, I have always maintained that people watch marquis match ups. Brands.

The SEC has cornered major brands...Texas-LSU and Oklahoma-Alabama is of more interest than Indiana-Wisconsin or Wake Forest-Georgia Tech.

ESPN has been evolving and the handwriting was on the wall when CBS had been paying the SEC $55 million per year for the one SEC Game of the Week.....and ESPN upped that to $300 million...

That one SEC game costs them almost what the whole year of ACC games does.

ESPN will have what amounts to NFL Saturdays.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:11 am

And...where things get murky..is that ESPN owns the brands and is also the largest sports media outlet.

They will, as they have been doing, shill the SEC since they own it...their talking heads will play it up, the SEC games will dominate available band width in the prime hours of watching...all influencing public perception, rankings, etc...and soon we will see lesser barnds, like the ACC, relegated to the ACCN, ESPN+, etc.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:07 pm

Yep……. sadly, it sounds like what Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Chain Stores and Restaurants, Discount Gas Stations and Fast Food Joints has done to Small Town America…….
:| :| :|

Ugh, No thank you, sir. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:54 pm

ABC has been dead set on controlling thought in this country for years, why wouldn't they want to control sports too. Maybe it is time to start breaking up these huge companies. That Idea has worked before.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:51 pm

ABC?

I thought it was CNN.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:23 pm

Not so much the actual expansion itself, but how there seems to be a bum rush towards it.

I completely agree with this point.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:36 pm

Derek wrote:
Not so much the actual expansion itself, but how there seems to be a bum rush towards it.

I completely agree with this point.

Especially if they are going towards it, then scrambling for realignment so as to define what the best conferences look like for the Top 4 Qualifies. And how much money goes to each conference per team included to the tournament.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”