A Perceived Competitive Imbalance……..

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: A Perceived Competitive Imbalance……..

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:20 am

Mountainman wrote:
Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Well, if the rumors are true, about the Big XII attempting to expand by inviting Cincinnati, Houston, UCF and Boise State to join the conference, that could explain why they did not attend the meeting between the BIG10, ACC and PAC12 where it was reported those three ‘agreed’ to not expand at this time. Who knows????? 8) 8) 8)

Clearly they want the Big XII to go away.

I believe that was indeed the case. The Mouse was in a position to make a move that would put them in the drivers seat of college football. But now it appears they may have shown their hand too quickly and those who believe differently are reacting.

I’m still wondering if Sankey was a part of the Mouse’s planning or just simply the idiot in the room who’s strings were being pulled by the Mouse…. But after reading some of his comments in the aftermath I’m leaning toward him being the idiot in the room.

I never bought the, "Sankey is innocent, all he did was pick up the phone and had a conversation" shtick.

The ACC isn't blameless, either.

They had been in talks with both OU & Texas over the past year. Reports were, that the ACC office was blindsided by the OU & Texas announcement.

They thought their agreement was set.

Which means one of 3 things:

(1.) OU & Texas had already been in talks with the SEC, and reached out to them over a year ago [playing for the offer]
(2.) The SEC found out about those talks and reached out to OU & Texas
(3.) It's A Small World found out about the pending agreement, and leaked it to the SEC, to enter their name in the hat

I'm guessing "It's a world of Laughter" was in on it. The fact that there was evidence suggesting someone had "encouraged" the AAC to offer a home to leftovers of the Big XII, just as the news broke that Texas and Oklahoma submitted their applications, says this was in play for a while.

Reports also tell us that OU & UT had been in talks with the SEC for around 6 months.

Sometimes it's hard to sift through the dust of the rumor mill, when there is so much piling up. Makes one wonder if there's not someone out there isn't paid to shovel as much in, that no one really takes any of it seriously, until after the rest of that dust settles.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:15 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:-------------------------------------------------------------

Then maybe the Mountain West could snatch up Arkansas State, to fill the space Boise will leave behind [unless they want to crawl back to BYU for a stronger program]..

Never you mind that comment ...

The Big XII has also extended their invitation to BYU.

So, with the additions of Boise State, BYU, Houston and UCF, the Big XII is saying, "We aren't going anywhere".

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:53 am

Oh yeah..Sankey is an idiot....maneuvering the SEC into the unassailable position as the premier numero uno football conference....cornering the best of the south and southwest.

Truth be told...Swofford was an idiot for assuring the non poaching of the ACC by tieing them up for a long, long time.

Delaney was an idiot for expanding and taking an awful Rutgers along with Maryland into the B1G assuming that cable box expansion thinking would be forever.

And we already know the idiocy of the Pac 12 Commissioner.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:24 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm starting to question where this is going ...

Cincinnati submitted their application to join the Big XII, now.

That would put them at 13 teams, unless they expect to grab another, going to 14, in order to have a balanced divisional league.

Would they pickup Fresno State, giving themselves a footprint in California?

Or, maybe they expect West Virginia to bolt for the ACC [with Notre Dame], making Cincy a 12th member.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:36 pm

billybud wrote:Oh yeah..Sankey is an idiot....maneuvering the SEC into the unassailable position as the premier numero uno football conference....cornering the best of the south and southwest.

Truth be told...Swofford was an idiot for assuring the non poaching of the ACC by tieing them up for a long, long time.

Delaney was an idiot for expanding and taking an awful Rutgers along with Maryland into the B1G assuming that cable box expansion thinking would be forever.

I agree.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:46 pm

billybud wrote:Oh yeah..Sankey is an idiot....maneuvering the SEC into the unassailable position as the premier numero uno football conference....cornering the best of the south and southwest.

We’ll see whether or not Sankey was the idiot in the room or complicit or just a patsy or not. With the CFP Expansion and the Mouse’s power play on hold the jury is still out on that distinction. But I recall reading where Sankey was quoted as saying ‘ Oklahoma and Texas called him about joining the SEC’ and that he didn’t initiate the action. If that’s true then the credit for their move wasn’t a result of anything he did. And as far as the SEC becoming the ‘premier numero uno football conference’ I would have to believe the Athletic Departments and Football Programs of the likes of Alabama, LSU, Georgia and Florida as well as former Commissioners of the SEC would have some input to offer about who build the SEC into prominence, since one might think if it were Sankey’s doing all the teams in the SEC would be at a level of the aforementioned programs. He’s the commissioner of the best College Football Conference, but let’s not putting jewels in his crown he didn’t earn. 8)

Seems I recall Jim Swofford was labeled a genius at the time it happened…….. funny how future events can change ones perception of things. And wasn’t Maryland an ACC member when they were ‘poached’??? :lol:

Speaking of Jim Delany, I believe he was the one responsible for ‘poaching both Maryland and Rutgers. And yes sir, it was all about those cable boxes in the Washington/Baltimore and New Jersey/New York areas. But you know, the population of those areas remains extremely dense and numerous, and whether it’s cable, streaming or whatever technology comes along those folks are going to be watching. :wink:

And I’ll freely admit I don’t know squat about what’s happened to the PAC12…… but I see where they’ve got a new commissioner, who appears not to be an idiot, so I take it they believed something wasn’t going as anticipated or expected. :| :| :|
Last edited by Mountainman on Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:49 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:-------------------------------------------------------------

That would put them at 13 teams, unless they expect to grab another, going to 14, in order to have a balanced divisional league.

Or, maybe they expect West Virginia to bolt for the ACC [with Notre Dame], making Cincy a 12th member.

It’s a good question……. I’ll be in Morgantown this weekend and will keep my EER’s open and let you know what the word, a.k.a. gossip, is. 8) 8) 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:01 pm

Mountainman wrote:It’s a good question……. I’ll be in Morgantown this weekend and will keep my EER’s open and let you know what the word, a.k.a. gossip, is. 8) 8) 8)

Appreciate it ...

While you're at it; Send Long Island home with the tune of "Country Roads", for your Eer's to their ears :wink:

Cane... [__]

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:02 pm

Then maybe the Mountain West could snatch up Arkansas State, to fill the space Boise will leave behind [unless they want to crawl back to BYU for a stronger program]..

So, with the additions of Boise State, BYU, Houston and UCF, the Big XII is saying, "We aren't going anywhere".

The problem for the Big 12 is that those teams just don't have as big of a following as UT and OU.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:50 pm

Derek wrote:

The problem for the Big 12 is that those teams just don't have as big of a following as UT and OU.

That is true ...

However; now the Big XII will have their hands in Florida, and spread their influence deeper into Texas, to compensate for losing Austin.

BYU does have a rather big following, no where near as large as Texas', though, they are spread out pretty far.

Hawaii, for example, as well as other Pacific Islands, have a huge Mormon influence.

Will it bring more Televisions to Viewer ratio ... possibly.

If the OU & UT games are not on, and these teams that otherwise weren't previously paired vs conference opponents are now readily available, growth could happen.

I do think it is irony, that the Big XII is stretching their arms out to Boise, considering how they burnt the Big East and their intended expansion with Boise, by poaching West Virginia, ultimately causing the Big East to collapse, as Boise pulled out of the deal, because WVU leaving created "Instability", according to their administration.

I wonder if West Va hightails it to the ACC, would the same thing happen.

I believe it could, seeing as how the circumstances do seem to parity one another, considerably.

Cane... [__]

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:25 pm

I'm gonna need Miami to get it in gear! :?
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:20 am

-------------------------------------------------------------

This team is just not developing well.

Miami is still playing disorganized. And the play schemes aren't drawing up right.

There needs to be a culture change at this point.

Miami is playing more like subordinates, rather than alpha dogs.

At times, it's barely a team.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:58 am

Mountainman wrote:

It’s a good question……. I’ll be in Morgantown this weekend and will keep my EER’s open and let you know what the word, a.k.a. gossip, is. 8) 8) 8)

Here's an answer, of sorts:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... p-10-wins/

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”