Big Kickoff Meeting on CFP Tomorrow

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Big Kickoff Meeting on CFP Tomorrow

Postby Mountainman » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:18 pm

………we’ll see how things go. 8) 8) 8)

https://www.si.com/college/2021/09/22/c ... e-12-teams
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Big Kickoff Meeting on CFP Tomorrow

Postby Mountainman » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:00 am

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:11 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------

I appreciate how you keep on top of this stuff for us ...

Been a frustrating week for me. I'm dealing with an eye infection that somehow got into both eyes [started in the right/moved to the left].

Makes starring at my laptop difficult for more than a few moments at a time.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:57 pm

Mountainman wrote:………we’ll see how things go. 8) 8) 8)

https://www.si.com/college/2021/09/22/c ... e-12-teams

'If This All Falls Apart, We’re Going to Get Hammered Publicly'

I'm having a hard time remembering when that has ever influenced their actual perspectives or behavior.

For two long years, the four men kept their mission a secret.

Only a select group knew that conference commissioners Bob Bowlsby, Greg Sankey and Craig Thompson, as well as Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick, were tasked to explore proposals to expand the College Football Playoff.

Kind of makes the point that I have been saying for the last 18 years more relevant.

By the time the story breaks in the media, about the possibility of something, they have already been planning it for quite a while.

No tinfoil hat needed, here.

They just told us so.

Greg Sankey ~ “If [the 12-team model] is rejected, we’ll have to think about process and if there’s a need for a new format. But keep in mind, we can keep the four best teams. As I’ve said repeatedly, consistently, vocally, four has worked just as it was intended, it is working and it can continue to work.

“We were not the ones pushing for expansion.

Yeah, I bet.

Feels like he said the quiet parts on the outside ... or at least, it sounded better in his head, than what his [and the SEC's] intentions are, over all.

In the 7 years of the FBS Playoff, The SEC has had 1 team every year, and is the only conference to have two teams. Other than the Big Ten [for 1 season], the SEC is the only conference that has had the consideration of a second team in the playoffs []which a case seems to be made for, every season.

Other than Alabama's six times included, the only teams that have been to the tournament more than once, are:

Clemson -- 6 appearances
Ohio State -- 4 appearances
Oklahoma -- 3 appearances
Notre Dame -- 2 appearances

The ACC & SEC have been represented every season
The Big 10 has been represented in 5
The Big XII has been represented in 4
The Pac-12 has been represented in 2

Keeping the playoff at 4 teams, while absorbing one of the teams who has appeared in nearly half of tournaments, basically ensures your conference 2 representatives every year, with a possible 3rd, at some point. [that is, assuming Oklahoma even gets enough wins once they become full SEC members]

Sankey's actions are not foolish ... but his mouth doesn't prevent him from looking like a dummy. [either that, or he's so arrogant that he doesn't think anybody outside of his head, can see what he's trying to do]

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:36 pm

From CBS Sports reporting.

While a source involved in the process tells CBS Sports that "good progress" was made Wednesday in Dallas at a meeting of the CFP Management Committee -- 10 FBS commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick -- it was not good enough to move forward with expansion plans at this juncture.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:08 pm

Does College Football owe Texas A&M and the Houston Chronicle at least a “Thank You”????? 8) 8) 8)

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:40 am

Mountainman wrote:Does College Football owe Texas A&M and the Houston Chronicle at least a “Thank You”????? 8) 8) 8)

They very well might ...

A&M, I'm sure, was whistle blowing, all the while thinking "This is not what we signed up for".

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:50 am

Well, at this point in time I can only surmise what actually happened, and I do not believe these happenings of late are by any means coincidental……. Somebodies, and I believe I know who they are, got caught, and I most surely believe they’re not going away……. They’ll Be Back!!!!! :P :P :P

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mo ... &FORM=VIRE

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:13 pm

Greg Sankey ~ “If [the 12-team model] is rejected, we’ll have to think about process and if there’s a need for a new format. But keep in mind, we can keep the four best teams. As I’ve said repeatedly, consistently, vocally, four has worked just as it was intended, it is working and it can continue to work.

“We were not the ones pushing for expansion.”

Call me a conspiracy theorist all you want. But the purpose of 4 teams, was to make the fan base that didn't get in by being ranked 5-10 feel "slighted" and push for a larger playoff.

They never intended the number to stay at 4 forever. Introducing the playoffs has been done in small doses, much like Communism. 8)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:56 am

Derek wrote:

“We were not the ones pushing for expansion.”

Call me a conspiracy theorist all you want. But the purpose of 4 teams, was to make the fan base that didn't get in by being ranked 5-10 feel "slighted" and push for a larger playoff.

They never intended the number to stay at 4 forever. Introducing the playoffs has been done in small doses, much like Communism. 8)

I have always believed this to be true ...

Sankey just sees the opportunity to create a larger share for his interests, before the playoff gets to that point.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”