There Ain’t No ‘WE’ in ‘ME’……….

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

There Ain’t No ‘WE’ in ‘ME’……….

Postby Mountainman » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:18 pm

…………. and for a good part of ‘em, it’s a ‘ME GENERATION. :roll:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-fo ... 1z14h58bon
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: There Ain’t No ‘WE’ in ‘ME’……….

Postby Spence » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:27 pm

It is! Not just football.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:35 am

Yep…….. I’ve changed my approach in how I dealt with them. They seem to lose their attitude after they’ve been given an assignment or project, and fail.

After their ‘pity party’ and their ‘blame games’ are over it sometimes and somehow improves their ability to listen, as well as to ask a question. They also suddenly become very aware that detail matters and it’s importance, that correctness and process are good paths to choose. :roll: :roll: :roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:24 am

A stint in the Corps would bring that stuff to a halt. At least 50 some years ago, in my time, the self was submerged and you were a disciplined cog of a fighting unit.

There was no "me"....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:09 am

Pat Forde has something to say………..

https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/02/m ... l-opt-outs

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:53 pm

Ole Kirk Herbstreit is taking some HEAT
all over the web about his comments saying ‘Players don’t love the game anymore…..’. Evidently he’s been doing it since an early age. (See photo below). 8)

………but what I find most amusing, his sidekick Desmond who agreed with yesterday on camera, is NOWHERE TO BE FOUND, now that the crap has hit the fan. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ole Desmond has pulled a Tonto…… :lol:

https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/sweet ... 8-12062642

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:46 pm

That is pretty typical of Desmond. Herby has always been one to speak his mind. He has taken lots of heat in Columbus for it. Mostly because of the over the top Ohio State fans, but one of these days his honesty will be his undoing with his job.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:42 pm

Spence wrote:That is pretty typical of Desmond. Herby has always been one to speak his mind. He has taken lots of heat in Columbus for it. Mostly because of the over the top Ohio State fans, but one of these days his honesty will be his undoing with his job.

Although Herbstreit attempted to clean-up his ‘in general’ statement, I haven’t heard or read a word of support, explanation or defensive of what he said out of Lee Corso or Reece Davis either……. appears Herbie is on his own on this one. 8)

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:37 am

Herbstreit is the best in the bid-ness and I think he's right on point here. I didn't think that for a long time, but as I see more and more annoying announcers, I'm convinced he is the best at what he does.

He has the knowledge of the game, especially since he played it. And he has the voice that can get excited and not be annoying, and that is a VERY special trait. He's worth every penny they pay him.

And appears he is not afraid to say what he's thinking. It's very annoying to me when they opt out. If you are a scholarship player, you shouldn't be allowed to opt out. My 2 cents.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:39 am

billybud wrote:A stint in the Corps would bring that stuff to a halt. At least 50 some years ago, in my time, the self was submerged and you were a disciplined cog of a fighting unit.

There was no "me"....

Yep!
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:34 pm

billybud wrote:A stint in the Corps would bring that stuff to a halt. At least 50 some years ago, in my time, the self was submerged and you were a disciplined cog of a fighting unit.

There was no "me"....

Basic Training learns you real quick ...

I enlisted in the National Guard back in 1996; was told I could not run all the way through the basic training, when I became diagnosed with Asthma that same year.

I was told that it was not legal to keep me, and part of basic was being put into the Gas Chamber.

The gas chamber is a room that has a controlled concentration of CS (orto-chlorobenzylidene-malononitrile) gas, more commonly known as tear gas.

All recruits must go through it, some more than once.

You go in a group, and wait for the instructor to come around to you, asking you to state your name, rank and dog tag number.

I you fumble through your words, or forget anything, they tell you to stay, then proceed to go around in order to everyone else, until they come back to you.

Due to many adverse reaction of people who had respiratory conditions [hospitalization and in rare cases, fatal], I was issued a medical discharge. [which was otherwise ironic, since I was to be trained as a field medic]

Off to college it was, for me. [or more truthfully, back to college]

In any case, what little I derived from the short stint I had, was "We" as a unit, with no choice in the matter as an individual.

What was best for me, was best for everyone else, once the directive was given. The only choice you have, is to follow the order that has been given you. You succeed, only if everyone else around you succeeds.

Elsewise, do it again.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Return to “General Discussion”