Saban Shares His Thinking on Playoff Expansion

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Saban Shares His Thinking on Playoff Expansion

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:23 pm

THe top teams are just that...the semi's often aren't close...but can you imagine how much worse it would have been to have Miami of Ohio play Georgia instead of Michigan...the same Miami of Ohio that is 0-24 against Ohio State.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:01 pm

Bowl season starts around the middle of December, this year it was the 17th……. I like the notion of a 16 team field, made-up of 10 Conference Champs and 6 at large. Go ahead and let some committee seed the teams 1 thru 4 in 4 brackets using the existing Bowl Sites to play the games……. And have at it. 8)

I know, I know……. That adds two games and it would take 17 to win a title instead of the 15 it takes now.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:25 pm

“ The top teams are just that...the semi's often aren't close...but can you imagine how much worse it would have been to have Miami of Ohio play Georgia instead of Michigan...the same Miami of Ohio that is 0-24 against Ohio State.”

No they haven’t been competitive for the most part, so that being the case why not just have two or even have a tournament of champions? What does it matter? If the right two teams are picked 1 and 2 then you don’t need 4 or more teams. Actually if you can pick 1 and 2 correctly why have the game at all. Play the traditional bowl games and crown the highest ranked team #1. It isn’t like that didn’t work for lots of years.

Also, the games are absolutely about tv friendly matchups. That isn’t a conspiracy. There has been absolutely one team that isn’t a “brand” that has made the playoffs, Cincinnati. It is crazy to think that doesn’t play into the thinking. I believe they got the right 4 teams this year. But the more the playoff is expanded under this scenario the more this will come into play.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:04 am

………..IMHO, there’s absolutely NO WAY ON GOD’S GREEN EARTH these guys are going give up the money. And since I’m a believer in that the best indicator of one’s future behavior is their past behavior, I think they’re going to expand the playoff and they’re going to open this thing up to every TV Network on the planet, so expanding the CFP is a very clever way to put more product out there FOR SALE.

…….and this ‘inclusion’ crap they’re putting out there is crap, it’s expansion for profit, plane and simple. 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:43 am

There will be expansion...it will just be the incorporation of games that we see now in bowls..with teams like those that played this year like Oklahoma State, Ohio State, Oregon, Wisconsin....I would never watch a match up of a UTSA-Georgia or the like.

There really needs to ne a split off...FBS is too large at 121 teams to seriously consider the champs of some conferences to be among the top teams.........What is the purpose of matching a champ like Miami of Ohio matched with Ohio State...who they have played 24 times and lost every game ?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:39 am

……….it doesn’t matter if someone doesn’t choose to watch, they’re going pay for it anyway.

As we’ve discussed earlier here on the board, YOU’VE BEEN BUNDLED!!!!!! :shock: :shock:

……..and btw, the model for expansion of the “CFP” has already been tested, fine tuned and proven. You can watch the outcome tomorrow at noon when Montana State and North Dakota State lineup to decide the National Championship. And if you think Alabama has a dynasty going, just take a look at what North Dakota State has accomplished in the last decade….. 8) 8) 8)

I forgot to mention, the Championship Game features the #2 and #8 seeds……. :wink:

Check it out:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... -announced

Last edited by Mountainman on Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:14 pm

billybud wrote:There will be expansion...it will just be the incorporation of games that we see now in bowls..with teams like those that played this year like Oklahoma State, Ohio State, Oregon, Wisconsin....I would never watch a match up of a UTSA-Georgia or the like.

There really needs to ne a split off...FBS is too large at 121 teams to seriously consider the champs of some conferences to be among the top teams.........What is the purpose of matching a champ like Miami of Ohio matched with Ohio State...who they have played 24 times and lost every game ?

I agree there needs to be a split. It is just very hard to do because the money at the FBS level is just very good, even for the group of 5 teams.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:33 pm

If you played #1 vs # 12 seed this year...you'd have Alabama vs Pitt.....

Cincinnati was the only G5 team that would have made a 12 team playoff on the CFP seeding.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:25 pm

billybud wrote:If you played #1 vs # 12 seed this year...you'd have Alabama vs Pitt.....

Cincinnati was the only G5 team that would have made a 12 team playoff on the CFP seeding.

The result wouldn’t have been any different whether it was Pitt or San Diego State

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:46 am

Spence wrote:
billybud wrote:If you played #1 vs # 12 seed this year...you'd have Alabama vs Pitt.....

The result wouldn’t have been any different whether it was Pitt or San Diego State

That’s an important point, Spence…….. to the powers that be, it doesn’t matter what the rankings are or who plays who or who wins or who’s the champ, it’s about the product and getting paid. And if an expanded playoff will generate more revenue, you can bet your hippy they’re going to do it…… and don’t think for one minute that the conferences are not thinking exactly the same way. 8) 8) 8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:12 pm

Exactly. I am not even saying that is wrong. Financial interest drives everything. I just think it is less than honest to pretend that there is a legitimate path to a championship for 90+ teams in NCAA football.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:01 pm

Legitimate path for 90 teams while maintaining a legitimate path for the best teams? And I don't think that there is any pretense that a UMass and an Alabama both have a path.

Not possible. Not with a 12-13 game regular season..... if the best teams are to play for it...there must be a reasonable approximation of "best".

When a strong conference will have so many of the better teams....Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, Georgia, Auburn, Florida, Oklahoma, Texas...heck, Ole Miss and Kentucky ended up finishing AP Top 25. The odds that more than one or two will be among the 12 best teams are high. How can you lock out the loser of a Conference Championship game with only that one loss, and that is still one of the best teams in nthe country? Not a legit path if you put in, instead, the Champ of a conference that has not beaten a Top 30 team. A bonus for playing in a weak conference?

A lot easier to go 13-1 as Louisianna did when you play a schedule with an SOS of 131...The Ragin' Cajuns one loss? Their only game with a P5...Texas...who whipped them by 20 points (Texas lost 7 games last season to P5 teams).

How can you really play a team for the national title when, while a conference champ, they still did not win a single game against a top 30 team (Sunbelt, MAC, MWC, CUSA)....

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:31 pm

I don’t, to this point, recall any collegiate sport that has a tournament where the best teams are guaranteed to play each other. It isn’t the point of a tournament. Any playoff goal is to have a team advance to the final game and win that championship. The actual beat team isn’t even guaranteed to win the game. So as long as all the conferences are represented, each team would have a chance, however small. Every 16 seed in the basketball tournament has a belief they can win. They believe they are competing to win a championship. It doesn’t matter that at the end of the day, they really didn’t have a shot.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:12 pm

Spence wrote:I don’t, to this point, recall any collegiate sport that has a tournament where the best teams are guaranteed to play each other. It isn’t the point of a tournament. Any playoff goal is to have a team advance to the final game and win that championship. The actual beat team isn’t even guaranteed to win the game. So as long as all the conferences are represented, each team would have a chance, however small. Every 16 seed in the basketball tournament has a belief they can win. They believe they are competing to win a championship. It doesn’t matter that at the end of the day, they really didn’t have a shot.

This is college football.....not basketball...And belief? Yeah...Let's do something based on nonsense. I believe that I could win the Masters if they let me tee it up....But reality?

No 16 seed has played in the final four...nor has a 15 seed, nor 14 seed, nor 13 seed, nor 12 seed, nor 11 seed, nor 10 seed...etc...

Dreams can be had in basketball ...but really it is the public that dreams....we just buy the smoke and mirrors...Reality sets in and if you aren't a top seed, you are there for entertainment, not for a chance to win....the bottom seeded 36 teams have had no chance...not even to get to the semi's....and that's data over years.

If you want to go NFL lite...take 32 teams and form a league...divide into pods of four...forget current conferences, tradition, pageantry, and have a playoff...the wildcard gives a team an extra shot...

I'm all for that...snuff out the Big Ten and SEC and go with Junior AFC north , south, east, west....and junior NFC..north, south, east, west...16 teams AFC..16 NFC...

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:58 pm

The nfl has teams from every division make the playoffs.

Return to “General Discussion”