Saban Shares His Thinking on Playoff Expansion

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Saban Shares His Thinking on Playoff Expansion

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:00 pm

You mention a FSU or Miami...and gawd, how we hated the Big Ten who were born with "football priviiege". Old blood programs that won national championships. How could we ever break through?

A New Blood like FSU was can break in.... by being good...and by being good in more than in one flash year. By beating the good teams...like going to Columbus and beating the Buckeyes back to back, going to Michigan's Big House and beating them the year they were Big Ten Champs..and FSU had to win 10 or more games a year for seven seasons before they played for the NC and won it. And ten Bowl games in a row without a loss..including Fiesta, Cotton, Orange, Sugar..

If you are suggesting that some teams do not have a path because they don't have the power, the talent...then what do you propose? That the best do not play for it? Have a drawing?
Last edited by billybud on Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:12 pm

Cincinnati got their shot because they went 13-0 in season against a fairly weak SOS..their signature win was Notre Dame, who a bad FSU took to overtime. Cincinnati only played that one Top 30 team (Sagarin).

Teams like Ohio State (played 6) Alabama (6) Georgia (5), Michigan (6), Oklahoma State (5), etc...had tougher schedules by a bunch.

Cincinnati wasn't going to beat Alabama...nor would they beat Georgia...in fairness, neither would Michigan.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:17 pm

I agree that the champ will probably come from the top 15%, but it that is the case why can’t you take all conference champs and play them off? It wouldn’t matter and all the critics would be silenced. I don’t see a down side.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:26 am

Just ran across this…….. appears this bunch has yet to reach any consensus.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/05/c ... ia-rematch
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:46 pm

Spence wrote:I agree that the champ will probably come from the top 15%, but it that is the case why can’t you take all conference champs and play them off? It wouldn’t matter and all the critics would be silenced. I don’t see a down side.

Well...sometimes the best teams may not be the conference Champion....leave Georgia at home and play UTSA and Lafayette ? (Lafayette #23 in Final CFP and UTSA unranked).

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:10 pm

billybud wrote:
Spence wrote:I agree that the champ will probably come from the top 15%, but it that is the case why can’t you take all conference champs and play them off? It wouldn’t matter and all the critics would be silenced. I don’t see a down side.

Well...sometimes the best teams may not be the conference Champion....leave Georgia at home and play UTSA and Lafayette ? (Lafayette #23 in Final CFP and UTSA unranked).

That’s circular logic…….. but in any event, this CFP Committee will undoubtedly will have at-large bids probably based on the CFP Team Rankings. But like Saban alluded to ‘If you rank the teams and determine which team is #1 and which team is #2, does it make any sense to play any additional games……. :roll: :roll: :roll:

And this, IMHO, is what’s driving all the proposed overhaul of the CFP……. 8)

https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/04/c ... range-bowl

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:56 am

LOL...circular logic ?

Just what exactly in my statement is circular....That Georgia, as a non-champ,is a far better team then some conference champs ? Very simple, straightforward statement.

I think, myself, that you react emotionally rather than logically.'

If my statement is circular logic, yours is nonsensical.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:52 pm

billybud wrote:LOL...circular logic ?

Just what exactly in my statement is circular....That Georgia, as a non-champ,is a far better team then some conference champs ? Very simple, straightforward statement.

Who gets to define ‘best’ and then use THEIR definition to draw a ‘factual’ conclusion???? 8)

Was Cincinnati best, was Michigan??? Georgia was best, until Alabama beat them. What about Texas A&M, who beat Alabama?

I prefer to have Conference Champs play one another to determine the The National Champ.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:19 pm

billybud wrote:

The best team doesn't always win in any tournament or playoff. Not even at the professional level so I don't see what that matters. If you could define the best teams objectively then I would be all for that way of doing it, but you can't. We have "the eye test" "historically prominence" "who they beat" "who beat them" All no more that justifications for their opinion. Since a round robin of all teams in a best 3 of 5 format isn't possible. So if you can't get to an objective model then they should leave it like it is. They manipulate it to get the basic results they want now. No reason to expand that philosophy. It will start looking like professional wrestling.

I actually agree with keeping it like it is or going to #1 vs #2. If it isn’t going to be set up objectively, is see no point in even having 4 teams or 2 for that matter. Just rank them and move on.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:24 pm

Mountainman wrote:
billybud wrote:LOL...circular logic ?

Who gets to define ‘best’ and then use THEIR definition to draw a ‘factual’ conclusion???? 8)

Was Cincinnati best, was Michigan??? Georgia was best, until Alabama beat them. What about Texas A&M, who beat Alabama?

I prefer to have Conference Champs play one another to determine the The National Champ.

I don't mind the P5 Champs playing....but not all conferences when some G5 conferences have much lesser teams as champs including UAB, Ball State, Northern Illinois, San Jose State, Miami of Ohio, FAU, Louisianna, Appalachian State , Memphis (all conference champs in the last three seasons)

....being counted as more worthy than P5 conference runner ups in those seasons like...12-2 Georgia, 13-1 Georgia, 11-2 Utah, 11-3 Baylor, 11-2 Penn State, 11-2 Ohio State, 12-2 Oklahoma State

The best teams should play for it....when in doubt, let the body of work decide...the wins over quality opponents...wins over Sagarin Top 30 teams.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:39 pm

UTSA was CUSA Champ this year...played San Diego State in the bowl and lost 24-38.

They would not have had any business being paired even with P5 runner ups like Georgia, Oklahoma State, Iowa, Oregon, etc.

UTSA did not play a single team in Sagarin's Top 30....And Sagarin ranked them #62

In fact, UTSA would have had points if they played WVU..

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:01 pm

They could add a layer of playoffs that required the group of 5 champs to playoff and send one team to a six team playoff. That still provides a path, but adds a layer at the end to make up for the lack of strength on their schedules during the season. Of course during some years the B1G, ACC, Pac12, and B12 have all had years in the last ten where their conference was lacking too. Even the SEC overall wasn’t great this year, even through Alabama and Georgia were really good.

It is easy to provide an objective path to a championship if they would want to do it. The reason they don’t want to do it is because they are trying to maximize the money. It has nothing to do with slighting any conference or trying to put the 2,4,6,8,10,12 best teams. It is 100% about TV dollars and ratings. They don’t care who wins. They rank teams based on what matchups they think would bring in the numbers and increase revenue. I don’t necessarily think that is a bad thing in and of itself. I just wish they would quit pretending it is about ranking the best teams.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:49 pm

Easy to provide an objective path? LOL

Please give your objective path so we can all be enlightened.

Yeah...like the Massey Composite...(a compilation of 94 computer rankings and polls)...which would have had Georgia, Alabama, Michigan, and Cincinnati as #1-#4..and had no other G5 in the Top 25...

.5 Ohio State
.6 Notre Dame
.7 OK State
.8 Baylor
.9 Ole Miss
10 Utah

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:58 pm

Conspiracy nuttos that yell..."they load it for the viewers and money"...yet ignore actual performance on the field...actual team strength.

The kind that says "sit Georgia, they ain't a conference champ", although they may be the best team in the country , so that UTSA and and Miami of Ohio can play for it.

The nutto's whine but can never come up with a plan that plays the best...with a limited football plyoff. and If I hear another "basketball playoff" comment from the unthinking, I will probably puke...

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:18 pm

Well, be mindful that since this thing began in 2015 the semifinals games have not exactly been sit on the edge of your chair and holler at the at TV games, most have been sit back in your chair and take a nap games……. :roll: :roll: :roll:

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/spor ... story.aspx

Return to “General Discussion”