It Ain’t Over Till It’s Over…..but it’s over for now

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

It Ain’t Over Till It’s Over…..but it’s over for now

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:02 pm

ACC Commissioner says, WHOA NELLIE!!!!!!!

………and he ain’t the only one. 8)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... or-reform/
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: It Ain’t Over Till It’s Over…..but it’s over for now

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:22 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

Truly an interesting development ...

Now, if we could go with Saban's initial thoughts, "Why do we need more than the Top Two?"

Maybe we could get back to a BCS process.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:25 pm

Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive. ~ Walter Scott
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:36 pm

Now that the dust has somewhat settled…….. some are voicing their opinions and expressing their concerns, while some are revealing themselves. 8)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... er-issues/

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:41 pm

What??

Clawson said some ACC schools are "not sure they are going to be able to practice in the spring" because of rosters diminished by the combination of COVID-19, injuries, graduation, opt outs and transfer portal departures.

At this point, I think COVID is just a lazy excuse for schools to use. The bigger question is his last few words in this statement, which I have conveniently highlighted for you.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:20 pm

They do have a point with roster expansion if they are playing more games. The problem is there isn’t enough talent to go around so if they expand the rosters it will mean less talent for the second and 3rd tier teams. Less parity not greater parity. I think if they truly want all teams and conferences to be even at the beginning of the season they need to cut the teams in the league overall.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:20 am

What concerns me most is the past performance of the NCAA, and the schools’ administrations, and the conferences and the teams, that cause me to question whether or not they have the will to establish and enforce a system that is good for the many, as opposed to doing or allowing what is good for the few or the one.

I would believe it’s a good thing to get one’s house in order and build a solid foundation BEFORE new directions and ventures are undertaken. Hopefully, they’ve learned from the the last go-round of ‘conference expansion’ and the SELLING of the game for the sake of TV sets and the dollars that it produced at the expense of the game, and that brought College Football to where it finds itself today……. a place where MAYBE six teams could win a National Title.

So, that would beg the question, “Why in the hell would you work so hard to destroy the game you claim you love???

……….and with that, I’m going to have one more shot, and go to bed…… Cheers gentlemen. 8)

Good morning…….. just to follow-up on my ranting from last night, a product of watching the Mountaineer Basketball Team lose a game in Morgantown to the Baylor Bears, without three players who left the program that quite possibly and probably would have made this team a contender for the National Title this season. :roll:

This article demonstrates and is an example of the consequences of the ‘past performance’ of some of the parties I mentioned…….. in this case, Greg Sankey the SEC Conference Commissioner, the Southeast Conference Members, the University of Texas and the University of Oklahoma, and according to Bob Bowlsby, Big XII Conference Commissioner, claims of ‘PROOF’ of collusion with ‘ The Mouse’ contained in a letter between the parties mentioned all while the NCAA sits after being put in a ‘Time Out’ by the Supreme Court of the United States.

The BigXII rebuilds…… by blowing-up the American Athletic Conference. 8)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... alignment/
Last edited by Mountainman on Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:33 am

The NCAA only cares about the NCAA. They really have never cared about the athletes. I don't see a way to be fair to 130 teams. You want to promote a system that rewards the best performers while providing an opportunity for the worst to become the best and I believe it should be an objective path for all. The problem is there is such a disparity from the top to the bottom. In terms of money and in terms of talent. I think you could make a system up involving 60 maybe 70 teams and have it be a pretty level playing field. You would still have 12 teams that would stand out, but not as much from 1 to 70 as it would be from 1 to 130.

The only real way to create parity among all would be to institute a draft among teams and the fact that these are student athletes ( however much that is diminished right now) would prohibit a draft because kids should get to choose their school.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:15 pm

Spence wrote:The NCAA only cares about the NCAA. They really have never cared about the athletes. I don't see a way to be fair to 130 teams. You want to promote a system that rewards the best performers while providing an opportunity for the worst to become the best and I believe it should be an objective path for all. The problem is there is such a disparity from the top to the bottom. In terms of money and in terms of talent. I think you could make a system up involving 60 maybe 70 teams and have it be a pretty level playing field. You would still have 12 teams that would stand out, but not as much from 1 to 70 as it would be from 1 to 130.

The only real way to create parity among all would be to institute a draft among teams and the fact that these are student athletes ( however much that is diminished right now) would prohibit a draft because kids should get to choose their school.

…….it appears it’s already in motion.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/20/n ... ball-money

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:41 pm

I'm not sure I like it, but I really see no way out of it.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:50 pm

I’m thinking the same way, especially since the management structure and decision makers are pretty much cut out of the same mold as the ones that got it to where it is now.

I’m reading where there are considerations of abandoning the ‘one size fits all’ structure, and instead have a governing body at each individual Division Level….. and that there will be movement of schools into and out of their current level.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:30 pm

Here’s another issue, with the CFP and the Mouse on the front end and the NFL on the back end, and no entity to govern College Football probably sooner than later College Football will change…….. truth is it already has, all that’s left is to legitimize it.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... aft-early/

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:21 am

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:40 am

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:24 pm

I think the most positive tstep the NCAA could take initially was to get rid of Mark Emmert.

Return to “General Discussion”