2022 Coaches Portal ...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: 2022 Coaches Portal ...

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:24 pm

Mountainman wrote:“skip rocks in a creek….” 8)

Proof positive I’m a bad influence on folks in that if you hang around a hillbilly it won’t be long before you’ll start atalkin’ the language. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Uh btw, here in the hills and hollers it’s pronounced “crick”. .

To be fair ...

I am from Indiana. I'm certainly not unfamiliar with skippin' rocks. But we Northerners either call it a creek or stream, most times.

Unless you're that older uncle or grandfather who still pronounces it, Creck, to Warsh yer clothes. :wink:

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:41 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Cane from the Bend wrote:
Gattis may yet leave, but he hasn't given a timetable. Many are saying he's looking for an nfl OC job. Some say he'd leave for a Head Coaching position at another College Program.

Whatever the case, I wish Ponce all the luck in the world.

And Gattis can go skip rocks in a creek..

“skip rocks in a creek….” 8)

Proof positive I’m a bad influence on folks in that if you hang around a hillbilly it won’t be long before you’ll start atalkin’ the language. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Uh btw, here in the hills and hollers it’s pronounced “crick”.

Well, the dial on the timetable is casting it's shadow on Gattis as I had assumed ...

I'm certain the staff did not want it to get out the way it did [been pretty good about keeping info in house]{likely to stave off unwanted input by the Lazyboy Recliner General Management legion}], but Gattis will be skipping whatever he finds in someone else's pond soon enough.

On Thursday night, a Hurricanes quarterback prospect, made mention that Mario Cristobal had told him they were searching for a new OC. [2024 recruit Luke Moga out of Phoenix, AZ]

This morning, The University of Miami announced that offensive coordinator Josh Gattis has been relieved of his duties by head coach Mario Cristobal.

Those of us with our ear on the wall of the program's conference room, have been aware for several weeks that Gattis has been seeking employment and taking interviews elsewhere. Now it seems as though, it has been at the behest and encouragement of Coach Cristobal for him to do so.

Presumably, to prevent having to cover his buyout ... but Cristobal turned that table's dial a few degrees towards the foreshadow, and brought Gattis' time at the U to a stop.

bye, bye now.

I hope whomever we replace this nitwit with, isn't just some guy who was given an award for having one year of success at a school with premiere talent already on the roster, where the Defense was the standout unit, and the offense benefited greatly by the short field the other half of the team gave them.

Michigan may very well be in a flux of emotions with Harbaugh; however, consider the alternative. Had Jimbo gone to the nfl after 2021, Gattis would have been their head coach.

They dodged a bullet if you ask me.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:00 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:Harsin is out. It was only a matter of time.

I wonder who actually did the deed, since Auburn doesn't currently have an AD.

May have been the reason they took so long to pull the trigger on this.

I suppose the boosters will now tell the administration who the next head coach is. I wonder if we find out before the Auburn faculty does.

Who's your best guess ..?

The short list I believe starts with Lane Kiffin, then Hugh Freeze.

Then there's a hot name, that every team's fan base South of the Ohio River and East of the Mississip, in need of a new head coach has in their mouths, Jamey Chadwell, HC of Coastal Carolina.

After that, if they throw the vault at him; Kevin Steele, Miami's D-Coordinator [which I'd be fine with, by the way]

Steele was ready & set to take the Auburn job back in 2020, even with the boosters association all but telling him he was the guy; before the University AD pulled the rug out from under him, and hired Bryan Harsin --- Would Steele take the job .?. Or is there too much bad blood there to consider it ?..

Selfishly, I'd like to see him get the job.

Steele's defense at Miami this season has, at times, looked like the defense he had at Clemson when his unit got him fired by giving up 70 to West Va in the Orange Bowl.

If Auburn believes in him, they should grab him while the gettin's good.

And by gettin', I mean, their taking him off our hands means we can go on to gettin' a more Competent DC.

Please Auburn ... take Steele.

You know you wanna.

Just, try him out for a few games. Fire him after two or three losses, if you want. Nobody would blame you.

He's really your guy. I promise he is.

Go on ... test it out. It'll be fine.

What possibly could go wrong?

:D :D :D

Okay, so, Auburn didn't bite ...

But Bama sure did.

Kevin Steele is out as Miami's Defensive Coordinator, and is headed back to Alabama to DC for Saban.

Not even a full 36 hours later, Lance​ Guridry has been hired by Miami as the next Defensive Coordinator position.

Guidry was Marshall's DC, in 2021, and in 2022 the Thundering Herd's Defense finished the season ranked in the Top 10 nationally in 12 different defensive categories.

On January 20th [not even a month ago], it was announced that Guidry was hired as the defensive coordinator for Tulane, replacing the outgoing Chris Hampton.

Then Miami got the news about Steele [don't mistake what really happened here; Steele was encouraged to accept St Nick's bargain], and Lance was announced before the ink could dry in New Orleans.

Yep, we already had him lined up, and let Steele graciously find his way out, before the media was let in.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:17 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------

Charlie Strong is leaving Miami ...

Strong is out as the LB's Coach/Co-Defensive Coordinator from the Hurricanes.

There is speculation that he felt slighted by not being promoted to the full Defensive Coordinator job, with the hire of Lance​ Guridry.

However, there were also rumors of Strong having an offer to join Saban's staff, at the same time Kevin Steele.

Coach Strong, said:

Coach Cristobal and the program made a decision to go in a different direction. It’s time for me to go in a different direction.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:39 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------

Shannon Dawson, Houston offensive coordinator coordinator passing game/quarterbacks coach to be hired as Miami's next OC.

The hire is happening as I type this. Let's see if we can finally get the Offense moving.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:37 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

Miami hires Tim Harris Jr. away from UCF, as the next Hurricanes Running Backs coach ...

Harris has been the running backs coach at UCF, and specializes in Recruiting South Florida area prospects.

Anyone who knows anything about Mario Cristobal, then is aware he is a talent acquisition prioritizer. This was a calculated addition to the staff.

Tim Harris Jr. was one of the most dominant track and field athletes in University of Miami, or Atlantic Coast Conference history. [2004-2008]

He was a four-time NCAA All-American in the 800-meters an event I personally despised {give me the 400}, while also becoming a six-time champion in the ACC when combining his indoor and outdoor victories. Harris is one of only two runners to win six titles in the 800-meters in ACC history.

He followed in his father's footsteps [legendary football coach Tim “Ice” Harris]. He coached Miami’s Booker T. Washington High School football team to the Florida 4A state championship in 2014, as well as leading the Tornadoes track team to the 2014 2A state title.

Let's just say, the Miami area kids are familiar with him.

This is definitely a positive step forward.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:16 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:There are some coaches on a chopping block Watch-List.

Keep an eye out for:

Bryan Harsin {Auburn}

Geoff Collins {Georgia Tech}

Karl Dorrell {Colorado} [maybe just Hot Seat, this is year 3]

Ken Niumatalolo {Navy}

Neal Brown {West Virginia}

Pat Fitzgerald {Northwestern}

Scott Satterfield {Louisville}

Pack the moving van ...

I'm actually a bit surprised this decision didn't happen sooner.

Pat Fitzgerald is gone from Northwestern.

He didn't make it to the start of the season.

He was suspended for 2 weeks without pay over an alleged hazing incident. Then fired Monday Night.

I'm guessing the Northwestern admin didn't want bad press for the looming B1G Media Days.

What else is there to say?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By and large, there is only one name left on the list for the unemployment offices.

It won't likely be this year {unless things get really sour during the Season}.

However, without an almost TCU-esque 2022 run, I wouldn't put money on his being retained for the
2024 cycle.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:18 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:There are some coaches on a chopping block Watch-List.

Keep an eye out for:

Bryan Harsin {Auburn}

Geoff Collins {Georgia Tech}

Karl Dorrell {Colorado} [maybe just Hot Seat, this is year 3]

Ken Niumatalolo {Navy}

Neal Brown {West Virginia}

Pat Fitzgerald {Northwestern}

Scott Satterfield {Louisville}

Pack the moving van ...

I'm actually a bit surprised this decision didn't happen sooner.

Pat Fitzgerald is gone from Northwestern.

He didn't make it to the start of the season.

He was suspended for 2 weeks without pay over an alleged hazing incident on Friday.
Then fired Monday Night.

I'm guessing the Northwestern admin didn't want bad press for the looming B1G Media Days.

What else is there to say?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By and large, there is only one name left on the list for the unemployment offices.

It won't likely be this year {unless things get really sour during the Season}.

However, without an almost TCU-esque 2022 run, I wouldn't put money on Morgantown retaining his
services for the 2024 cycle.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:39 pm

Wren Baker, the AD at WVU, has had his hands full since he arrived. The Bob Huggins thing has been a cluster-fornication………. I’m impressed with how he’s dealt with Huggins’ stupidity so far…….. but I’d be surprised if there’s not a reach out to a coach the caliber of Fitzgerald, especially when Brown has been given another season to prove he’s not the guy for the job, which in my mind he’s already proven regardless of what happens this season against a lesser Big XII schedule.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Return to “General Discussion”